Sawai ManSingh Medical College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Type||Controlled by Government of Rajasthan. Exams are held by Rajasthan University of Health Sciences, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Raja Babu|
|Principal||Dr. US Agarwal|
|Location||Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
|Affiliations||Rajasthan University of Health Sciences, Jaipur|
It was the 15th centre for medical education in India. Its first principal was Dr. G.N.Sen. Medical Council of India recognized the college in 1952, in the same year PG courses for M.S. and M.D. started here.
At a glance, one hospital and one dispensary were started in 1845. Subsequently, such facilities were recommended for other parts of the state as well. However, due to lack of trained doctors the initiative with limited success, In 1855, a maternity hospital and one dispensary and a medical school were opened in Jaipur, inaugurated on 7 September 1861 and in the first batch 24 students were admitted.
Dr. Kingford burr was appointed as director of this college and he used to teach material medical, practical therapeutics, surgery and practice of medicine. Later, Dr. Najeeb Khan and Dr. Hussain Baksh were appointed as demonstrator in anatomy and assistant surgeon Parvati Charan Gosh was appointed as lecturer to teach principles and practice of medicine, physiology and materia medica.
Three year later (1861–64) over differences certain unfortunate developments led to closure of the medical school which was still in its infancy. In 1945, late Sir Mirza Ismail, prime minister of Jaipur state, during his visit to Sikar, was invited for tea by Late Rao Raja Kalian Singh of Sikar at his guest house.
Incidentally, the chief medical officer, Dr. S. C. Mehta was also one of the invitees. During discussions, Dr. Mehta pointed out that doctors coming from other states leave the services as soon as they get suitable jobs in their parent states and hence there was always a shortage of doctors. The solution which he recommended was establishing a medical college in our own state. Sir Mirza then started working on this project. On March 13, 1946 Lord Wavell laid the foundation-stone of SMS college in a very impressive function presided over by H.H. Sawai Man Singh, the Maharaja of Jaipur.
The year 1947 marked the beginning of a new era in medical education in Rajasthan with the inception of the 15th centre for medical education in India, the prestigious Sawai Man Singh Medical College. Initially, the college started work in the south wing of SMS Hospital and in the building of the Jaipur Medical Association.
Dr. G.N. Sen was its first principal. He had a short tenure and was succeeded by Dr. S.C. Mehta, famous for his great zeal, drive and sense of discipline. His acumen in choosing his staff reflected in selection of Dr. H.C. Choudhary, first professor of Physiology, and Dr. B.M. Lal, first professor of anatomy, both of whom were loved and admired by their students. Professor Ram Behari Arora and professor R.K. Goel were the fortunate ones to head the department of pharmacology and pathology respectively.
In 1951, Dr. S.K. Menon took over as principal of the college. In 1952, the college was recognised by the Medical Council of India and the foundation of a new OPD block was laid in the succeeding year in 1952 also marked the beginning of P.G Courses and the first batch of M.D. and M.S. students qualified in 1955.
It was established in 1947. It was the 15th centre for medical education in India. Its first principal was Dr. G.N. Sen. Medical Council of India recognised the college in 1952, in the same year PG courses for M.S. and M.D. started here.
There are 32 departments and six hospitals attached to this medical college. The college has three boys' and one girls' hostel. The medical college runs Bachelors, Post Graduate, Diploma, M.C.H, D.M, M.Sc (Med), PhD, and nursing courses. The medical college has a large library and runs a B.Sc course in nursing to train the nurses.
1. Emergency and Accident Department
2. Pre-Clinical Departments • Anatomy • Physiology • Biochemistry
3. Para-Clinical Departments • Immunohematology & Transfusion Medicine • Pathology • Microbiology • Forensic Medicine • Pharmacology • Preventive & Social Medicine
4. Medical Specialties • General Medicine • Geriatic Medicine • Pediatrics (Jay Kay Lon Hospital) • T. B. & Chest (Hospital) • Skin & V. D. (Charak Bhawan) • Psychiatry (Psychiatric Hospital) • Radiodiagnosis • Radiotherapy • Radiological Physics • Anesthesiology
5. Surgical Specialties • General Surgery • Surgical Gastroenterology • Birla Cancer Centre • Orthopedics • Ophthalmology (Charak Bhawan) • Otorhinolaryngology (ENT) (Charak Bhawan) • Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (RRC)
6. Obstetrics & Gynecology • Zanana Hospital • Mahila Chikitsalya (Hospital)
7. Medical Super Specialties • Cardiology • Neurology • Gastrology • Nephrology • Endocrinology
8. Surgical Super Specialties • Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery • Neuro-Surgery • Pediatric Surgery (Jay Kay Lon Hospital) • Plastic Surgery • Urology
9. Other Department • Library Department • Vehicle Section • Department of Physical Education • Medical Education Unit
10. Other Links • UG PG students fee structure • Instruction for Medical Website • RMJ Guidelines
11. Patient Help Line • Epilepsy • Sankalp • Results • List of Research Review Board Members • SMS College & Hospital Principal & Additional Principal Contact • Evidence Based Medicine • Website Moderation Team
12. Important link for e-learning • Tools used for e-learning
13. Seminars and Orations • List for Seminars and Orations
- Sawai Man Singh Hospital
- Zanana Hospital
- Mahila Chikitsalaya
- Institute of Respiratory Disease.
- Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital, Jaip
- Sir Padampad Mother and Child health center
- Psychiatric Center
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Center
- An Infectious disease hospital
- Dr. Samin K. Sharma, currently an interventional cardiologist at Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, holds the American record for the highest number of complex coronary interventions performed annually
- Dr. S.P. Sudrania, a renowned paediatrician of national and international fame, deputed in 29 countries during his tenure at SMS Medical College.
- Dr. P.K. Sethi, renowned Orthopaedic Surgeon, Founder of Jaipur Foot and Recipient Ramon Magsaysay Award., started and established the Rehabilitation Centre at SMS Medical College
- Dr. Farooq Abdullah, Statesman and Renowned Politician, Former Union Minister for New and Renewable Energy, GOI and 3 time Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir, Currently President Jammu & Kashmir National Conference
- Dr.S S Agarwal is the National President of the Indian Medical Association
The college has been ranked 18 by Careers360.
- SMS Hospital on www.medicaleducation.rajasthan.gov.in