Shahid Beheshti University
دانشگاه شهید بهشتی
Dāneshgāh-e Shahid Beheshti
|Endowment||US$ 78.67 million|
(December 10, 2014)
Shahid Beheshti University is one of the most prestigious universities in Iran. Based on the latest rankings of universities in the world and based on the ranking systems of Kakarry, Simonds and QS, Shahid Beheshti University has been ranked fifth for two consecutive years 2017 and 2018 after Sharif University, Iran University of Science and Technology, Amirkabir University of Technology and Tehran University, respectively at the 701 + and 1000-800. At the present time, SBU has 19 faculties, including: Literature and Human Sciences, Theology and Religious Studies, Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Law, Physics, Chemistry, Economics and Political Sciences, Education and Psychology, Mathematical Sciences, Earth Sciences, Biological Sciences, Management and Accounting, Architecture and Urban Planning, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Renewable Energies and New Technologies Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Mechanical and Energy Systems Engineering, and Water and Environmental Engineering. Today, there are 69 programs at Bachelor's, 208 at Master's and 136 at Ph.D. levels, and there are 9562 BA/BSc, 6859 MA/MSc and 1356 Ph.D. students studying at the university. Shahid Beheshti University (SBU) is one of the most prestigious universities in Iran. Since 1990, the university has placed more emphasis on postgraduate, in particular, Ph.D., and research programs, while still aiming to enhance the quality of its well-established undergraduate courses. Students at the university are inspired by an outstanding and rewarding academic environment not only in Iran but in the region. The university and the members of the academia are at the forefront of world research in many fields, and the teaching is informed by the very latest developments in each discipline.
Shahid Beheshti University was founded as the National University of Iran in 1959 by Ali Sheikholislam, the first private university in Iran. The university was planned to be devoted to graduate studies. At its opening, it consisted of two schools: Architecture and Urban Planning, and Banking and Economics, with 174 students. Soon the School of Literature and Foreign Languages began in downtown Tehran. The first graduate academic degree program was the Master's course in the School of Architecture, launched in 1961. In 1962, a new main campus was built in Evin, a suburb in the north of Tehran. Academic offerings expanded as facilities were added. By 1978 several other faculties became active i.e.the faculties of Literature and Human Sciences, Basic Sciences, Law, Earth Sciences, Statistics and Informatics and Education and Psychology. Due to an academic reform in 1986, the medical schools were separated from the main universities and became Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences working under the purview of the Iranian Ministry of Health and Medical Education. The first PhD course was offered in the School of Economics in 1991.
The university's name was changed during the Cultural Revolution in Iranian universities, 1980-82.
Under royal auspices, the university library began to acquire important collections in the field of Oriental studies and literary classics in French and German. During that period, the university library ranked in importance second in the country only to Aryamehr (later Sharif) University of Technology. In 2012, the university's new main office building was completed.
In spring 2013, Power and Water University of Technology (PWUT) was merged into Shahid Beheshti University.
- Main campus: Located in Evin District, it extends into Velenjak District in northwestern Tehran, Iran, on approximately one million square meters.
- Abbaspour College of Engineering and Technology (ex-Power and Water University of Technology) is on East Vafadar Blvd., Tehranpars, P.O. Box 16765-1719, 1658953571, Tehran
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering: Department of Telecommunication, Department of Electronics, Department of Power
- Faculty of Computer Engineering and Science: Department of Software Engineering & Information, Department of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Department of Computer Architecture and Networks
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Energy
- Faculty of Architecture & Urban Engineering: Department of Architecture: Department of Landscape Architecture, Department of Construction, Department of Design, Department of Reconstruction, Department of Urban Planning
- Faculty of Business & Management: Department of Public Management, Department of Business Management, Department of Commercial Management, Department of Financial Management, Department of Industrial Management, Department of Entrepreneurial Management, Institute for Research
- Faculty of Biological Sciences: Department of Biology, Department of Genetics, Department of Marine Biology, Department of Microbiology, Department of Plant Sciences, Department of Zoology
- Faculty of Economics & Political Sciences: Department of Economics, Department of Political Sciences
- Faculty of Energy Sciences & Modern Technologies: Department of Aeronautics, Department of Biotechnology, Department of Energy, Department of Nanotechnology, Department of Cellulose and Paper sciences
- Faculty of Earth Sciences: Department of Geology, Department of Geography, Department of Geophysics
- Faculty of Law: Department of Criminology & Criminal Law, Department of Intellectual Property, Department of International Trade Law, Department of Economic Law, Department of Environmental Law, Department of Human Rights, Department of International Law, Department of Private Law, Department of Public Law
- Faculty of Literature & Human Sciences: Department of Linguistics and Literature, Department of Philosophy, Department of History, Department of Archaeology, Department of Sociology, Institute of Iranology
- Faculty of Mathematical Sciences: Department of Mathematics, Department of Statistics, Department of Computer Sciences
- Faculty of Nuclear Engineering: Department of Applied Radiation, Department of Fuel-Recycling, Department of Radiology (Medical Radiation)
- Faculty of Physical Education & Sport Sciences
- Faculty of Psychology and Education: Department of Psychology, Department of Behavioral Studies & Advising, Department of Educational Sciences
- Faculty of Sciences: Department of Chemistry, Department of Physics
- Faculty of Civil &Water & Environmental Engineering: Department of Water Resources Engineering, Department of Water and Wastewater Engineering, Department of Structural and Geotechnical Engineering, Department of Environmental Engineering
- Institute for Cognitive and Brain Sciences (ICBS)
- Automated Software Engineering Research Group
- Center for Environmental Research
- Center for Cyberspace Research
- Secure Communication and Cryptography
- Content transfer technology
- Center for Family Research
- Center for Medicinal Plant and Drug Research Institute
- Center for Laser & Plasma Research
- Fiber optics
- LIBS (Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy)
- Non-destructive Testing
- Polymers and Organic Materials Photonics headed by Dr. Mohajerani
- Center for Pharmaceutical Research
Notable faculty and alumni
- Mir-Hossein Mousavi, a graduate of the School of Architecture, the last prime minister in modern Iranian history, and the leader of the Green Movement
- Hashem Aghajari, a professor of history who was sentenced to death by the Islamic regime of Iran in 2002 on account of his anti-clerical remarks; after nationwide demonstrations by students his life was spared
- Masoumeh Ebtekar, the first female vice president in Iranian history
- Abdolmajid Mahdavi Damghani, agroecologist and Associate Professor at Shahid Beheshti University
- Abbas Milani, former professor of political science, now director of Hoover Institution and professor of Iranian Studies at Stanford University
- Seyyed Hossein Nasr, philosopher, served as chancellor of the university in the mid-1970s
- Hamid Ozaah, writer and English Translator,Diplomacy Strategist in IRNA and Other Media Foundations.
- Mohsen Sazegara, former government official, political activist. Earned his master's degree in history from the university
- Saeed Laylaz, economist and journalist
- Leila Araghian, architect
- Touraj Atabaki, Senior Research Fellow at the International Institute of Social History
- Abbas Vali, Kurdish political and social theorist
- Abdolali Bazargan, liberal politician, writer and intellectual
- Nasrin Sotoudeh, human rights lawyer
- Fereydoon Abbasi, nuclear scientist
- Based on the latest ranking of universities in the world and based on the ranking system (Kakarry Simonds, QS), Shahid Beheshti University has been in the fifth grade for two consecutive years 2017 and 2018 after the Sharif universities, science and industry, Amirkabir and Tehran, respectively at the 701 + And 1000-800.
- Category B++
- Article 64.80
- Citation 63.34
- Total documents 30.59
- JIT 54.25
- JCIT 45.11
- Collaboration 45.32
- Total 303.42
- Tehran University
- Higher Education in Iran
- Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences
- Mostafa Mohaghegh Damad, a professor at the Faculty of Law
- "Financial information=December 10 2014".
- "top universities".
- "Main Office building for Shahid Beheshti University of Tehran". Worldarchitecture.org. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-22. Retrieved 2013-09-08.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Famous Shahid Beheshti University Alumni". Ranker.com. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "top universities".
- "University Ranking by Academic Performance". None. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shahid Beheshti University.|
- Official Website
- Research Institute at the Wayback Machine (archived 2006-05-15)
- Iran photonics forum
- Shahid Beheshti University faculties and PhD student personal homepage
- Shahid Beheshti's Central Library at the Library of Congress Web Archives (archived 2015-10-08)