Iran University of Science and Technology
|دانشگاه علم و صنعت ایران|
|Endowment||US$ 49.7 million (December 10, 2014) |
|President||Dr. Mohammad ali Barkhordari|
|Location||Tehran, Tehran province, Iran
The Iran University of Science and Technology (Persian: دانشگاه علم و صنعت ایران) is a research institution and university of engineering and science in Iran, offering both undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Located on Hengam Street in the Narmak neighborhood in northeast Tehran, IUST and its surrounding communities provide a cultural and recreational environment suited to the work of a major research institution. The university consistently ranks among Iran's top three technical universities. The 20,000 capacity IUST Stadium is their main sports venue.
Dr. M. A. Barkhordari is currently the dean of the university.
Iran University of Science and Technology was originally founded in 1929 as the first Iranian institution to train engineers. It was initially named the Governmental Technical Institute. Soon it was named Honarsaraye Ali—"Advanced Art College" in English.
The institute continued to educate engineering students who were well employed after graduation by the industries and companies, mostly involved in industrialization and development process of the country. In 1972, the title of the college upgraded to the Iran Faculty of Science and Technology due to the growth of the institute by the Ministry of Sciences. The faculty offered four-year bachelor degrees in most areas of engineering and it is the first and for many years the only engineering university that consist of School of Architecture in the country. It proceeded the extension of educational programs by offering new fields of engineering. In 1978, it was granted university status by the Ministry of Sciences. Since then the institute was named Iran University of Science and Technology.
After the Cultural Revolution of 1980, IUST made a great progress and enhanced its educational and research plans at postgraduate levels so that in 1990, for the first time it admitted students to the Ph.D. programs in Civil Engineering and Materials Engineering fields. Other departments also followed the strategy and offered Ph.D. degrees. In 1995, IUST pioneered in awarding the first Ph.D. degrees in Iran in the fields of Materials Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering and Traffic Engineering at this university.
Presently, the university is one of the major technical universities in Iran, and its main campus is formed of 13 major faculties and three other departments with 380 members of the academic board. Just on the main campus, over 9,000 students are studying in 90 specialized fields of engineering and sciences, out of which 2,000 are M.Sc. and 546 are Ph.D. students. Over 35,000 students have graduated since 1932.
The main campus is located in the northeast of Tehran, expanded in 42 acres (170,000 m2). The campus includes faculty buildings, research centers, the main library, residential halls, the mosque, administrative buildings, several sport playgrounds and covered spaces for varieties of sports such as football stadium, volleyball, basketball, and tennis courts on landscaped land. The facilities and the landscaped area of the main campus provide lively and pleasant environment for the students to pursue their education. Furthermore, IUST has also developed four other campuses in the cities of Arak, Behshahr, Damavand, and Noor; the latter two are in progress.
IUST has 11 departments, 44 instruction groups, and 83 fields of study. It is one of the most active universities in Iran for graduate studies. Also it has powerful e-learning system. At present over 4,432 students are studying in the B.Sc. program, over 1,257 students are studying in M.Sc. and over 148 are doing Ph.D. disciplines.
e-learning, foreign languages (TEFL), architectural engineering, automotive engineering, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, progress engineering, information technology, mathematical science, mechanical engineering (& aerospace engineering), materials engineering, (metallurgy), Physics science, railway engineering, Arak Branch, Behshahr Branch.
Extra curricular activities and association
IUST is known among Iranian universities for having productive theater and music associations. These association, run by students were established before the 1979 revolution but they were not active for a period of time. After president Khatami's election in 1997 they started to work again. Because of all limitation opposed by the university officials after the 2005 elections which led to Ahmadinejad's presidency, their activities diminished again.
Most important association in Iran University of Science and Technology are:
- Student's Theater association in Iran University of Science and Technology
- Student's Music association in Iran University of Science and Technology
- Student's Literature association in Iran University of Science and Technology
- Student's Film association in Iran University of Science and Technology
Advanced and High-Tech Research Activities at IUST include:
- Field of Hydrosturctures at the Department of Civil Engineering
- Field of Electronics at the Department of Electrical Engineering
- Field of Advanced Materials at the Department of Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Nano Technology as interdepartmental research
- Bio Technology in the Department of Medical Engineering
- Hydrodynamics, experimental and numerical fluid dynamics research laboratory at the Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University Research Centers include:
- Architecture Research Center
- Automotive Research Center
- Cement Research Center
- Electronic Research Center
- Green Research Center
- Information Technology Research Center
- Iran Composites Institute
- Materials Research Center
- Center of Excellence in Islamic Architecture 
- Center of Excellence in Experimental Solid Mechanics and Dynamics 
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, sixth President of Iran, last Tehran Mayor, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Traffic and transportation engineering and planning)
- Hamid Behbahani, Professor of Civil Engineering and former Iranian Minister of Road and Transportation
- Kamran Daneshjoo, Faculty Member of Mechanics and Aerospace School. Former Iranian Minister of Science, Research and Technology.
- AbdolReza Sheikhol Eslami, Faculty Member of Civil Engineering. Former Iranian Minister of Employment.
- Mohammad Hossein Saffar Harandi, Former Iranian Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance
- Seyyed Kazem Vaziri Hamaneh, Former Iranian Minister of Oil (Mechanical Engineering, B.Sc.)
- Abdollah Jasbi, Former President of Islamic Azad University
- Tahmineh Milani, Iranian film director (Architecture)
- Mohsen Rezaee, Former Chief Commander of the AGIR, and secretary of the Expediency Discernment Council of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Alireza Ali Ahmadi, Former Iranian Minister of Education, Former president of Payame-noor university
- Mohammad Soleimani, Former Iranian Minister of Communication and Information Technology, MP
- "Financial information". Fars News.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iran University of Science and Technology.|