Iran University of Science and Technology
دانشگاه علم و صنعت ایران
|Motto||"nothing is impossible"|
|Endowment||US$ 49.7 million (December 10, 2014)|
|President||Dr. Jabbar Ali Zakeri|
Tehran, Tehran province, Iran|
The Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST) (Persian: دانشگاه علم و صنعت ایران) is a research institution and university of engineering and science in Iran. The university is home to 13 faculties offering undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in a range of engineering-based subjects as well as maths and physics. In 1995 IUST awarded Iran’s first PhDs in materials, metallurgical and traffic engineering. IUST is the only university in the Middle East which has a school of railway engineering and a school of progress engineering. It is also the only university in Iran which has a school of automotive engineering. There are also 12 research centres, nine centres of excellence and 19 specialised libraries as well as four satellite campuses in other parts of the country. IUST is located on Hengam Street in the Narmak neighborhood in northeast Tehran, IUST and its surrounding communities provide a cultural and recreational environment suited to the work of a major research institution.
According to the results of 2016 Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Iran University of Science and Technology stands as the first university of the country, 57th among Asian Universities and 457th among world universities. QS World University Rankings 2016–2017 has announced Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST) as the second university of Iran and 491–500 among world universities. The 20,000 capacity IUST Stadium is their main sports venue.
Dr. M. A. Barkhordari is the dean.
Iran University of Science and Technology was founded in 1929 as the first Iranian institution to train engineers, named the Governmental Technical Institute. Soon it was named Honarsaraye Ali—Advanced Art College in English.
In 1972, the title of the college upgraded to the Iran Faculty of Science and Technology due to the growth of the institute by the Ministry of Sciences. The faculty offered four-year bachelor's degrees in most areas of engineering and it is the first and for many years the only engineering university that consist of School of Architecture in the country. In 1978, it was granted university status by the Ministry of Sciences. Since then the institute was named Iran University of Science and Technology.
In 1990 it admitted students to Ph.D. programs in Civil Engineering and Materials Engineering fields. In 1995, IUST awarded the first Ph.D. degrees in Iran in the fields of Materials Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering and Traffic Engineering.
The main campus has 13 faculties and three other departments with 380 members of the academic board. On the main campus, 9,000 students are studying in 90 fields of engineering and sciences, out of which 2,000 are M.Sc. and 546 are Ph.D students. Over 35,000 students have graduated since 1932.
The main campus is located in the northeast of Tehran, expanded in 42 acres (170,000 m2). The campus includes faculty buildings, research centers, the main library, residential halls, the mosque, administrative buildings, sport playgrounds and covered spaces for sports such as football stadium, volleyball, basketball, and tennis courts.
IUST has four other campuses in the cities of Arak, Behshahr, Damavand, and Noor; the latter two are in progress.
IUST has 11 departments, 44 instruction groups, and 83 fields of study. Over 5,500 students study in the B.Sc program, over 5,400 students are studying in M.Sc. and over 940 are doing Ph.D. disciplines.
e-learning, foreign languages (TEFL), architectural engineering, automotive engineering, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, progress engineering, information technology, mathematical science, mechanical engineering (& aerospace engineering), materials engineering, (metallurgy), Physics science, railway engineering, Arak Branch, Behshahr Branch.
Extracurricular activities and association
The most important associations in Iran University of Science and Technology are:
- Student's Theater association
- Student's Music association
- Student's Literature association
- Student's Film association
Advanced and High-Tech Research Activities at IUST include:
- Hydrostructures at the Department of Civil Engineering
- Electronics at the Department of Electrical Engineering
- Field of Advanced Materials at the Department of Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Nano Technology as interdepartmental research
- Bio-technology in the Department of Medical Engineering
- Hydrodynamics, experimental and numerical fluid dynamics research laboratory at the Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University Research Centers include:
- Architecture Research Center
- Automotive Research Center
- Cement Research Center
- Center of Excellence in Experimental Solid Mechanics and Dynamics
- Center of Excellence in Islamic Architecture
- Electronic Research Center
- Green Research Center
- Information Technology Research Center
- Iran Composites Institute
- Materials Research Center
- Research Center for ICT Strategic and International Studies
Times Higher Education
2016–2017: National Rank: 1
According to QS World University Rankings 2016–2017 Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST) ranked as the second university of Iran after Sharif University of Technology and 491–500 among world universities.
According to ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2017, IUST has been ranked 101–150 among world universities in Metallurgical Engineering and also 151–200 in Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering.
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, sixth President of Iran, last Tehran Mayor, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Traffic and transportation engineering and planning)
- Hamid Behbahani, Professor of Civil Engineering and former Iranian Minister of Road and Transportation
- Kamran Daneshjoo, faculty Member of Mechanics and Aerospace School. Former Iranian Minister of Science, Research and Technology.
- AbdolReza Sheikhol Eslami, faculty Member of Civil Engineering. Former Iranian Minister of Employment.
- Alireza Nasiri founder of online degree programs in University of Tehran and father of commercial forestation in Iran
- Mohammad Hossein Saffar Harandi, former Iranian Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance
- Seyyed Kazem Vaziri Hamaneh, former Iranian Minister of Oil
- Abdollah Jasbi, former President of Islamic Azad University
- Tahmineh Milani, Iranian film director (Architecture)
- Mohsen Rezaee, former Chief Commander of the IRGC, and secretary of the Expediency Discernment Council of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Alireza Ali Ahmadi, former Iranian Minister of Education, former president of Payame-noor university
- Mohammad Soleimani, former Iranian Minister of Communication and Information Technology.
- "Financial information". Fars News.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iran University of Science and Technology.|