Islamic Azad University
دانشگاه آزاد اسلامیDāneshgāh-e Āzād-e Eslāmi
Seal of Islamic Azad University
|Motto||آرمان ایرانی برای جهانی شدن (Persian)|
Motto in English
|Iranian Aspirations for Globalization|
|Type||Private University System|
|Vice-president||Farhad Hosseinzadeh Lotfi|
|70,665 (Spring 2015)|
|Students||1,658,000 (Spring 2015) |
|Campus||31 State University, 100+ campuses, colleges and centers under direct administration|
|Media||Farhikhteghan Newspaper, Afarinesh Newspaper, Azad News Agency (ANA), Isca News Agancy|
|Colours||Dark and light Blue|
|Athletics||Azad University of Tehran Basketball Club
Azad University of Tehran Cycling Club
|Sports||Azad University Giant Team|
|Affiliations||Islamic Azad University System
The Islamic Azad University (IAU) (Persian: دانشگاه آزاد اسلامی, Dāneshgāh-e Āzād-e Eslāmi), commonly referred to as Azad University is a private university system in Iran. It is one of the largest comprehensive system of universities, colleges, and community colleges in the world.
Headquartered in Tehran, Iran, the Islamic Azad University is the world's third largest university was founded in 1982 and established by Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, currently has an enrollment of 1.6 million students,. Azad University has over 100 branches across the country and also in other countries. It has branches and universities in U.A.E, United Kingdom and Lebanon. Over the years, the university has accumulated assets estimated to be worth between $20–25 billion. Islamic Azad University's activities quickly expanded throughout the country, so that today thousands of students are enrolling every year. Not relying on government funding, it receives charitable donations and charges tuition fees.
The certificates issued by this university are recognized by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology and Ministry of Health and Medical Education for medical education. Azad University admits students through the National Wide Entrance Examination held by the National (Iranian) Organization of Educational Testing.
Iran's Supreme Leader has declared the financial endowment of Islamic Azad University to be "religiously illegitimate and unlawful", prompting a change within the administration of the institution.
The Islamic Azad University has 31 State university with over 100 in Iran and 4 branches overseas, covers almost every subject in its curriculam and delivers huge flexibility and choice to its students. At present, the IAU system officially describes itself as a "100+ campus". These campuses are under the direct control of the Regents and President. Only ten best and famous campuses are listed below. Some campuses are well-known, especially Central Tehran and Science and Research Tehran.
|Science and Research Tehran||1984||~ 50,000||Comprehensive|
|Central Tehran||1982||~ 40,000||Comprehensive|
|South Tehran||1985||~ 35,000||Comprehensive|
|North Tehran||1985||~ 20,000||Comprehensive|
|Medical Tehran||1985||~ 5,000||Medical Sciences|
|Najafabad||1985||~ 25,000 ||Comprehensive|
Azad University in Oxford (AUO) is one of the IAU overseas campuses located at the outskirts of Oxford city in the UK. It has been established in 2004 to support the IAU international collaboration activities. Through its links with the UK universities and research centres, the AUO provides a number of services to the students and staff of IAU as well as other students and organisations around the world.
Islamic Azad University has 31 state universities (provincial universities) in each province of Iran that are listed below:
- Islamic Azad University Alborz Province
- Islamic Azad University Ardabil Province
- Islamic Azad University Azerbaijan, East Province
- Islamic Azad University Azerbaijan, West Province
- Islamic Azad University Bushehr Province
- Islamic Azad University Chahar Mahaal and Bakhtiari Province
- Islamic Azad University Fars Province
- Islamic Azad University Gilan Province
- Islamic Azad University Golestan Province
- Islamic Azad University Hamadan Province
- Islamic Azad University Hormozgan Province
- Islamic Azad University Ilam Province
- Islamic Azad University Isfahan Province
- Islamic Azad University Kerman Province
- Islamic Azad University Kermanshah Province
- Islamic Azad University Khorasan, North Province
- Islamic Azad University Khorasan, Razavi Province
- Islamic Azad University Khorasan, South Province
- Islamic Azad University Khuzestan Province
- Islamic Azad University Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad Province
- Islamic Azad University Kurdistan Province
- Islamic Azad University Lorestan Province
- Islamic Azad University Markazi Province
- Islamic Azad University Mazandaran Province
- Islamic Azad University Qazvin Province
- Islamic Azad University Qom Province
- Islamic Azad University Semnan Province
- Islamic Azad University Sistan and Baluchestan Province
- Islamic Azad University Tehran Province
- Islamic Azad University Yazd Province
- Islamic Azad University Zanjan Province
In Academic Year of 2012-2013
|Field of Study||Percent|
|Engineering and Technology||42%|
|Agriculture and Veterinary||4.41%|
Medical centers and schools
The Islamic Azad University operates ten medical centers throughout the country:
- Avicenna Hospital (Tehran)
- Amiralmomenin Hospital
- Javaheri Hospital
- 22 Baham Hospital
- Aria Hospital
- Yazd Hospital
- Najafabad Hospital
- Khatamalanbia Hospital
- Rhazes Hospital
- Katalem Hospital
In early 2011, Islamic World Science Citation Database declared the very first official ranking of Higher education and research institutes of Iran, including a ranking of Islamic Azad University Campuses:
|1||Islamic Azad University of Tabriz||4.27|
|2||Islamic Azad University of Mashhad||3.51|
|3||Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch||3.06|
|4||Islamic Azad University of Karaj||2.61|
|5||Islamic Azad University North Tehran Branch||2.48|
|6||Islamic Azad University of Najafabad||1.37|
|7||Islamic Azad University Science and Research Branch, Isfahan||1.35|
|8||Islamic Azad University of Ghouchan||1.26|
|9||Islamic Azad University of Shabestar||1.19|
|10||Islamic Azad University of Ardabil||0.95|
|1||Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch, Tehran||100|
|2||Islamic Azad University of Mashhad||23.75|
|3||Islamic Azad University of Karaj||18.53|
|4||Islamic Azad University South Tehran Branch||18.21|
|5||Islamic Azad University Khorasgan Branch Isfahan||13.5|
|6||Islamic Azad University North Tehran Branch||NA|
|7||Islamic Azad University of Najafabad||NA|
|8||Islamic Azad University of Qazvin||NA|
|9||Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch||NA|
|10||Islamic Azad University of Yazd||NA|
2013: International rank: 87, National rank: 1, Regional Rank: 1
2012: International rank: 231, National rank: 1, Regional Rank: 2
Leiden Ranking – CWTS Leiden Ranking
2014: World rank: 252, Country rank: 11, Regional Rank: 194
2013: World rank: 161, Country rank: 1, Regional Rank: 25
2012: World rank: 226, Country rank: 2, Regional Rank: 34
- Colleges and universities
- Higher Education in Iran
- List of universities in Iran - including list of IAU Universities
- Islamic Azad University Science and Research Branch
- Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch
- Islamic Azad University South Tehran Branch
- Islamic Azad University North Tehran Branch
- Ahmad Ashraf, "EDUCATION vii. GENERAL SURVEY OF MODERN EDUCATION," Encyclopaedia Iranica, Online Edition, December 15, 1997, available at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/education-vii-general-survey-of-modern-education.
- "تسریع در روند جذب هیات علمی در دانشگاه آزاد اسلامی/ معرفی 26 هزار عضو هیات علمی به واحدهای دانشگاهی". Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Islamic Azad University Logotype usage guidelines" (PDF). Islamic Azad University. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- "Back to the Future in Iran's Election". The National Interest. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica World Almanac, ed. 2004, page 666
- Gholamreza Rahimi, Ghader Vazifeh Damirch, "Islamic Azad University Roles in Scientific Developement of Iran", Interdisciplinary Journal of Research in Business, Vol. 1, Issue. 9, (pp. 84–91), September–October 2011, available at http://www.idjrb.com/articlepdf/idjrb9n1p9.pdf
- "The battle over Islamic Azad University". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- http://iaun.ac.ir/index.php/progressive model school-count
- "General Catalog of IAU" (PDF). Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- "نخستین رتبهبندی رسمی دانشگاهها و مراکز تحقیقاتی کشور اعلام شد". Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- وب سایت رتبه بندی دانشگاه های جهان اسلام
- "URAP - University Ranking by Academic Performance". Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "URAP - University Ranking by Academic Performance". Retrieved 16 July 2015.