South East Cornwall (UK Parliament constituency)
|South East Cornwall|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of South East Cornwall in Cornwall for the 2010 general election.
Location of Cornwall within England.
|Electorate||71,851 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Saltash, Torpoint, Liskeard and Looe|
|Member of parliament||Sheryll Murray (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Bodmin, Cornwall North and Truro|
|European Parliament constituency||South West England|
1983-2010: The District of Caradon, the Borough of Restormel wards of Fowey, Lostwithiel, St Blaise, and Tywardreath, and the District of North Cornwall ward of Stokeclimsland.
2010-present: The District of Caradon, and the Borough of Restormel ward of Lostwithiel.
The predecessor county division, Bodmin, serving the area from 1885 until 1983 had (during those 98 years) 15 members (two of whom had broken terms of office serving the area), seeing twelve shifts of preference between the Liberal, Liberal Unionist and Conservative parties, spread quite broadly throughout that period. Consistent with this, since 1983 the preference for an MP has alternated between Liberal Democrats and Conservatives.
Members of Parliament
|1983||Robert Adrian Hicks||Conservative|
|1997||Colin Breed||Liberal Democrat|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Phil Hutty||8,521||16.9||−21.8|
|Mebyon Kernow||Andrew Long ||1,003||2.0||+0.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Karen Gillard||19,170||38.6||−8.1|
|Mebyon Kernow||Roger Holmes||641||1.3||−0.4|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrat||Swing||+9.1|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Colin Breed||24,986||46.7||+0.8|
|Mebyon Kernow||Graham Sandercock||769||1.4||−0.9|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing||+0.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Colin Breed||23,756||45.9||−1.2|
|Mebyon Kernow||Kenneth George||1,209||2.3||+1.3|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing||−0.5|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Colin Breed||27,044||47.1||+9.0|
|Labour||Dorothy M. Kirk||7,358||12.8||+3.6|
|Mebyon Kernow||Paul Dunbar||573||1.0||N/A|
|Natural Law||Margot Hartley||197||0.3||+0.0|
|Liberal Democrat gain from Conservative||Swing||+12.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Robin Teverson||22,861||38.1||−1.6|
|Anti-Federalist League||Anthony Quick||227||0.4||N/A|
|Natural Law||Rosaleen Allen||155||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Cornwall South East', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 6)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Lavery, Kevin (20 April 2010). "South East Cornwall statement of persons nominated and notice of poll" (MSWord). Acting Returning Officer. Cornwall Council. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.