Standing Committee of the National People's Congress
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Standing Committee of the National People's Congress|
|This article is part of a series on the|
|Politics of China|
The Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (NPCSC; Chinese: 全国人民代表大会常务委员会) is a committee of about 150 members of the National People's Congress (NPC) of the People's Republic of China (PRC), which is convened between plenary sessions of the NPC. It has the constitutional authority to modify legislation within limits set by the NPC, and thus acts as a de facto legislative body. It is led by a Chairman, China's top legislator, who is conventionally ranked third in China's political ranking system, after the General Secretary of the Communist Party of China and the Premier of the People's Republic of China. The current Chairman is Li Zhanshu.
The NPCSC also has the power to interpret the laws of the PRC, including its constitution. In contrast to other countries in which stare decisis gives the power of both final interpretation and adjudication to a supreme court, within the People's Republic of China constitutional and legal interpretation is considered to be a legislative activity rather than a judicial one, and the functions are split so that the NPCSC provides legal interpretations while the Supreme People's Court actually decides cases. Because an interpretation of the NPCSC is legislative in nature and not judicial, it does not affect cases which have already been decided.
A notable use of the constitutional interpretation power occurred in 1999 over the Right of Abode issue in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in Lau Kong Yung v. Director of Immigration. The NPCSC interpreted the Basic Law of Hong Kong in accordance with the position taken by the Hong Kong government with respect to the eligibility of permanent residency in Hong Kong.
Chairman and Vice chairpersons of the 12th NPC Standing Committee
Elected by the 13th National People's Congress at its 1st session's 4th plenary meeting on March 17, 2018:
- Li Zhanshu (b. August 1950): 3rd-ranked member of the Politburo Standing Committee of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CCCPC).
- Vice Chairpersons (14)
- Wang Chen (b. December 1950): member of the 19th Politburo, member of the 16th, 17th, and 18th CCCPCs, and former deputy head of CCCPC Publicity Department.
- Cao Jianming (b. September 1955): member of the 17th, 18th, and 19th CCCPCs, alternate member of the 16th CCCPC, and former Procurator-General of the Supreme People’s Procuratorate.
- Zhang Chunxian (b. May 1953): member of the 18th Politburo, member of the 16th to 19th CCCPCs, and former secretary of the CPC Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region Committee and Hunan Provincial Committee.
- Shen Yueyue (female, b. January 1957): member of the 17th, 18th, and 19th CCCPCs; the former executive deputy head of the CCCPC Organization Department.
- Ji Bingxuan (b. November 1951): member of the 17th, 18th, and 19th CCCPCs; the former secretary of the CPC Heilongjiang Provincial Committee, and the former chairman of the Standing Committee of the Heilongjiang Provincial People's Congress.
- Arken Imirbaki (Uygur, b. September 1953): member of the 19th CCCPC; chairman of the Standing Committee of the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Regional People's Congress.
- Wan Exiang (b. May 1956): Vice President of the Supreme People's Court (since 2002); chairman of the Central Committee of the Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang (since 2012).
- Chen Zhu (b. August 1953): hematologist; academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences; Central Committee chairman, Chinese Peasants and Workers Democratic Party (since 2012).
- Wang Dongming (b. July 1956): standing committee member of the 10th Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), a member of the 17th, 18th, and 19th Central Committees CCCPCs; the secretary of the CPC Sichuan Provincial Committee, and the chairman of the Standing Committee of the Sichuan Provincial People's Congress.
- Padma Choling (Tibetan, b. October 1952): member of the 18th CCCPC; the former chairman of the Standing Committee of the Tibet Autonomous Region People's Congress, and the Chairman of the Tibet Autonomous Region.
- Ding Zhongli (b. January 1957): geologist; vice-president of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Hao Mingjin (b. December 1956): the former Vice-Minister of the Ministry of Supervision.
- Cai Dafeng (b. June 1960): chairperson of the China Association for Promoting Democracy.
- Wu Weihua (b. September 1956): chairperson of the Jiusan Society.
- "FACV Nos 10 and 11 of 1999". Judiciary of Hong Kong. 3 December 1999. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress
- Presidium of the Supreme Soviet, a Soviet Union institution, after which Standing Committee of the NPC was modelled.