The Airplane Factory
|Privately held company|
|Headquarters||Eikenhof, South Africa|
|Owner||Mike Blyth, James Pitman, Andrew Pitman|
The Airplane factory (Pty) Ltd. is a South African aircraft manufacturer based at Tedderfield Airpark, Eikenhof, Johannesburg South. The company specializes in the design and manufacture of light aircraft in the form of kits for amateur construction and ready-to-fly aircraft for the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale microlight and the American light-sport aircraft categories.
The company has three shareholders: Mike Blyth, Director - Development, Marketing and Operations; James Pitman, Director - Corporate; and Andrew Pitman, Managing Director. Other key people include: Terry Musiker, Engineer - Aeronautical Engineering.
In July 2013 a Sling 4 was flown by Mike Blyth and his son from South Africa to AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States. The flight included a 14-hour over-water leg using the modified Sling 4's 20 hours of fuel endurance.
|Model name||First flight||Number built||Type|
|The Airplane Factory Sling 2||18 November 2008||60 (2012)||Two-seat, low wing microlight aircraft|
|The Airplane Factory Sling 4||2009||Four-seat, low wing aircraft|
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 80. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Tacke, Willi; Marino Boric; et al: World Directory of Light Aviation 2015-16, page 83. Flying Pages Europe SARL, 2015. ISSN 1368-485X
- The Airplane Factory (2013). "Team". Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Paul Dye (June 2014). "Sling goes big". Kitplanes.
- Pew, Glenn (2 August 2013). "South Africa To Oshkosh In The Sling 4". Avweb.com. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Bernard, Mary and Suzanne B. Bopp: The Airplane Factory: Sling 2 (and Sling 4), Kitplanes, Volume 29, Number 12, December 2012, page 22. Belvoir Publications. ISSN 0891-1851
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Airplane Factory.|