Thompson Township, Geauga County, Ohio
|Thompson Township, Geauga County, Ohio|
Location of Thompson Township in Geauga County
|• Total||25.7 sq mi (66.5 km2)|
|• Land||25.5 sq mi (66.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,250 ft (381 m)|
|• Density||89/sq mi (34.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086161|
Located in the northeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Madison Township, Lake County – north
- Harpersfield Township, Ashtabula County – northeast corner
- Trumbull Township, Ashtabula County – east
- Hartsgrove Township, Ashtabula County – southeast corner
- Montville Township – south
- Hambden Township – southwest corner
- LeRoy Township, Lake County – west
Thompson Township is the location of the Thompson Ledges landform.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Thompson township, Geauga County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Thompson
- "Marker #6-28 Thompson Ledges / Thompson Ledges Park". Remarkable Ohio: Marking Ohio's History. Ohio Historical Society. Retrieved August 28, 2011.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- General History of Geauga County, with Sketches of some of the Pioneers and Prominent Men, published in 1880 by the Historical Society of Geauga County