Tzrifin bus stop attack
|Tzrifin bus stop attack|
|Part of the Second Intifada militancy campaign|
|Date||September 9, 2003|
17:50 pm (GMT+2)
|Deaths||9 soldiers (+ 1 bomber)|
|Perpetrators||Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack|
The Tzrifin attack was a suicide bombing which occurred on September 9, 2003 in a bus stop in central Israel next to the military base Tzrifin. 9 people were killed in the attack and more than 15 people were injured.
During the evening hours of Tuesday, September 9, 2003, a Palestinian suicide bomber who was holding a bag full of explosives, approached a bus stop near the Israeli military base Tzrifin, located on the eastern side of Rishon LeZion. The bus station was full of Israeli soldiers who were on their way home.
Around 17:50 pm the bomber detonated the explosive device. The force of the explosion killed 9 people and injured more than 15. All the fatalities in the attack were soldiers.
Five hours after the attack, another attack was carried out at Café Hillel in Jerusalem in which 7 people were killed over 30 people were injured.
- Senior Warrant Officer Haim Alfasi, 39, of Haifa
- Chief Warrant Officer Yaakov Ben-Shabbat, 39, of Pardes Hanna
- Cpl. Mazi Grego, 19, of Holon
- Capt. Yael Kfir, 21, of Ashkelon
- Cpl. Felix Nikolaichuk, 20, of Bat Yam
- Sgt. Efrat Schwartzman, 19, of Ganei Yehuda
- Sgt. Yonatan Peleg, 21, of Moshav Yanuv
- Cpl. Prosper Twito, 20, of Upper Nazareth
- Sgt. Liron Siboni, 19, of Ramat Gan – died of her wounds on November 19.
- Suicide Bombings- Tzrifin and Jerusalem - September 9- 2003 - published at the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Two separate suicide bombings kill at least 15 in Israel - published on USA Today on 9 September 2003
- Suicide attack at Israeli army base - published on BBC News on 9 September 2003
- MidEast: Suicide Blast Kills Eight - published on Sky News on 9 September 2003