IDF outpost bombing attack (December 2004)
|2004 IDF outpost bombing attack|
|Part of the Second Intifada militancy campaign|
|Location||IDF outpost near the Philadelphi Route, Southern District, Israel|
|Date||12 December 2004|
|Bombing attack, Shooting attack|
|Deaths||5 IDF soldiers (+ 2 attackers)|
|6 IDF soldiers|
|Perpetrators||Hamas and Fatah claimed joint responsibility|
The 2004 IDF outpost bombing attack was an integrated attack carried out on 12 December 2004 by a Palestinian militant squad of the Izz al-Din al-Qassam military wing of Hamas and the Fatah Hawks (a military wing of Fatah) at an Israel Defense Forces outpost located on the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt.
Five Bedouin IDF soldiers from the Desert Patrol Battalion were killed in the attack and six others were injured, and the outpost was totally destroyed. Two Palestinian militants were also killed during the attack.
Preparations for the attack
Long before the attack occurred, Palestinian militants drilled an 800 meters long underground tunnel which began from a hidden location within Palestinian homes located near the security fence between the Gaza Strip and Egypt. From there the tunnel went under the border fence and reached a small Israeli military outpost located between the Gaza Strip and Egypt. The militants planted 1.5 metric tons explosives directly below the outpost.
On Sunday, 12 December 2004, at c. 17:45 pm, the militants detonated two powerful explosions in two different locations, within a few minutes of each other. These explosions caused extensive damage and injured 11 soldiers.
Immediately after the explosions, two Palestinian militants stormed the outpost and began opening fire at the Israeli soldiers stationed at the outpost. The attackers managed to kill two IDF soldiers before they were killed themselves.
Rescue Forces were summoned to the site assisted by helicopters, whom attempted to rescue the wounded. At this point a third explosion occurred within the outpost, which was an apparent attempt to get casualties among the rescue forces although it didn't cause any casualties or injuries.
Due to the continuous heavy barrage of mortar fire, the IDF rescue forces were only able to rescue the injured after a long while.
Five Bedouin IDF soldiers from the Desert Patrol Battalion were killed in the attack and six others were injured. Total destruction was caused to the outpost in the attack.
- Sergeant Adham Shehadeh, 20, from Tur'an
- Sergeant Sa'id Jahaja, 19, from Ar'arat an-Naqab
- Sergeant Aref Azbargah, 20, from Kuseife
- Sergeant Tareq al-Ziadna, 20, from Rahat
- Sergeant Hussein Abu Leil, 23, from Ein Mahil
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2012)
- Five Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza checkpoint bombing – published on 12 December 2004 on USA Today
- Five Israelis die in Gaza attack – published on 13 December 2004 on BBC News
- "BBC NEWS - Middle East - Five Israelis die in Gaza attack". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Sergeant Adham Shehadeh (in Hebrew)
- "NRG - " "". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Sergeant Sa'id Ghga (in Hebrew)
- Sergeant Aref Azbergh (in Hebrew)
- Sergeant Tareq al-Ziad (in Hebrew)
- "NRG - : -". Retrieved 14 December 2014.