University of Jos
|Motto||Discipline and Dedication|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Sebastian Seddi Maimako|
|Location||Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria|
The University of Jos (UNIJOS), abbreviated as Unijos, is a Federal University in Jos, Plateau State, central Nigeria. The school offers courses in Agriculture, Arts, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Management Sciences, Medicine, Natural Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Social Sciences, as well as Veterinary Medicine.
What became the University of Jos was established in November 1971 as a satellite campus of the University of Ibadan. The first students were admitted in January 1972 as pre-degree students with the first Bachelor of Arts degree program begun in October 1973. In October 1975, then military government under General Murtala Mohammed established the Unijos as a separate institution. The first Vice-Chancellor of the Unijos was Professor Gilbert Onuaguluchi. Classes began at the newly reorganized University of Jos in October 1976 with 575 students spread over the existing four faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, Education, Natural Sciences and Medical Sciences. Post-graduate programs were added in 1977. By 1978 Faculties of Law and Environmental Sciences were established and the Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences were separated.
In 2003, the Carnegie Corporation of New York gave Unijos a US $2 million grant to form its own fundraising department.
Notable scholars associated with the university include:
- Kayode Ajulo, lawyer
- Emily Alemika, first woman law professor from the Kogi State
- Charity Angya, University Vice-Chancellor
- Oledinmah Chiugo, Lawyer
- Paul Enenche, Pastor and Medical doctor
- Helon Habila, novelist
- Esther Ibanga, pastor and peace prize winner
- Vincent Chukwuemeka Ike, novelist
- Audu Maikori, lawyer, entrepreneur
- Ali Mazrui, Kenyan political scientist
- Idoniwako Akpode Monday, Lawyer, photographer
- Charles O'Tudor, brand strategist, entrepreneur
- Sonni Gwanle Tyoden (2006-2011).Professor Sabastine S. Maimako was appointed as the 9th Vice- Chancellor of University of Jos on the 23rd June, 2016 to date
- "Emily Alemika: The First Female Professor Of Law From Kogi State". Latest Nigerian News. Lagos, Nigeria: Cyclofoss Technologies Limited. 5 July 2016. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Leading Women, 2014, SunNewsOnLine.com, Retrieved 8 February 2016
- Our Team, WOWWI, Retrieved 4 February 2016
|This article on a Nigerian institution of higher education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|