Aerial view of Velsen
Location in North Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Frank Dales (D66)|
|• Total||63.05 km2 (24.34 sq mi)|
|• Land||44.78 km2 (17.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||18.27 km2 (7.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|• Density||1,513/km2 (3,920/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
1950–1951, 1970–1992, 2070–2082
|Area code||023, 0251, 0255|
On the north side of the North Sea Canal there is a major steel plant, Tata Steel IJmuiden, formerly known as Koninklijke Hoogovens (the town of IJmuiden is actually located south of the canal). The headquarters of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Redding Maatschappij is located in IJmuiden.
The Kennemerstrand beach on the south side of the canal is at the end of the Kennemerboulevard, which runs south of the Seaport Marina.
The municipality of Velsen consists of the following cities, towns, villages and/or districts:
- on the north of the North Sea Canal:
- on the south of the North Sea Canal:
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Velsen, June 2015
In Velsen, there are the following connections across the North Sea Canal:
- A railway tunnel between the railway stations of Driehuis and Beverwijk.
- Road tunnels, from north to south:
- Wijker Tunnel
- Velser Tunnel next to the railway tunnel.
- A ferry 
- A road across the lock complex
- Railway stations: Driehuis, Santpoort Noord, Santpoort Zuid
The municipal council of Velsen consists of 33 seats, which are divided now (2010) as follows:
- PvdA - 5 seats
- VVD - 5 seats
- VL - 5 seats
- D66V - 5 seats
- LGV - 4 seats
- CDA - 3 seats
- GL - 2 seats
- SP - 2 seats
- CU - 1 seat
- independent member - 1 seat
- "Waarnemend burgemeester A.E. Koopmanschap" [Interim Mayor A.E. Koopmanschap] (in Dutch). Gemeente Velsen. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 1971EN". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Image of Roman Flevum