Street in Oostzaan
Location in North Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Rob Meerhof (PvdA)|
|• Total||16.08 km2 (6.21 sq mi)|
|• Land||11.53 km2 (4.45 sq mi)|
|• Water||4.55 km2 (1.76 sq mi)|
|Elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Density||842/km2 (2,180/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Oostzaan (Dutch pronunciation: [oːstˈsaːn] (listen)) is a municipality and a town in the Zaanstreek, Netherlands, in the province of North Holland. The municipality had a population of 9,705 in 2017. Oostzaan has a total area of 16.08 km2 (6.21 sq mi) of which 4.55 km2 (1.76 sq mi) is water.
Oostzaan—together with Westzaan and Assendelft—are considered the "mother towns" of the Zaanstreek (the region around the River Zaan), of which they are the three oldest towns. Oostzaan also played a role in the VOC and WIC shipping and shipbuilding.
In the 17th century Oostzaan had its own pirate, named Claes Compaen. Originally sailing from the Netherlands as a legal pirate captain, in the possession of pirate letters, he soon began to raid ships for his private account, from the English Channel, to the Mediterranean Sea and the African-Atlantic coast into even the Caribbean Sea. He liquidated the booty on the coast of Ireland, later in Salé and the Barbary Coast. A street in Oostzaan is named for Claes Compaen.
The town has a Reformed church with a cruciform groundplan, the Great Church (1760), which contains two ship models that recall the days when Oostzaan was an important sea-faring community. In the Oostzijderveld area of Oostzaan stands a windmill, De Windjager (The Wind Hunter).
Oostzaan consists of several hamlets,
- Achterdichting (Get Behind The Seal),
- De Heul,
- Kerkbuurt (churchneighborhood),
- Noordeinde (northend),
- Zuideinde (Southend).
Kerkbuurt and the northern part of Zuideinde are the center of Oostzaan.
The municipal council of Oostzaan consists of 13 seats, which are divided as follows:
- Gemeente Belangen - 3 seats
- GroenLinks - 3 seats
- VVD - 3 seats
- CDA - 1 seat
- D66 - 1 seat
- Partij Luijendijk - 1 seat
- PvdA - 1 seat
- "Burgemeester" [Mayor] (in Dutch). Gemeente Oostzaan. Archived from the original on 20 March 2014. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 1511BD". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.