|May 2018 +/-|
|Wittenberg University Feminist Edit-a-thon||May 2, 2018|
|Santa Margarita Ecological Reserve||May 11, 2018|
|Perth 48||May 12, 2018|
|Art+Feminism, Jacob Lawrence Gallery, UW, Seattle||May 12, 2018|
|London 130||May 13, 2018|
|Sabah 1||May 17, 2018|
|Melbourne Editathon for International Museums Day||May 18, 2018|
|Oxford 61||May 20, 2018|
|EaT10 @ Amon Carter Museum||May 24, 2018|
|Sydney||May 26, 2018|
|June 2018 +/-|
|Le Rosey edit-a-thon||June 5, 2018|
|Bay Area WikiSalon @ WMF HQ in San Francisco||June 6, 2018|
|London 131||June 10, 2018|
|San Diego 30 (Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum)||June 10, 2018|
|Oxford 62||June 17, 2018|
|Full Meetup Calendar|
The Wikipedia "Greenwich Village in the 60s" Edit-a-thon is a Wikimedia NYC meet-up and Wikipedia Edit-a-thon workshop hosted by New York Public Library's Jefferson Market Library, Wikimedia NYC and the Metropolitan New York Library Council ("METRO").
"Greenwich Village In The 60s" will be held on Saturday, November 2, 2013, at the Jefferson Market Library (425 Avenue of the Americas at 10th Street, New York, NY 10011-8454 (212) 243-4334), as part of this year's Wikipedia Loves Libraries global campaign. The event is hosted by Jefferson Market Library, Wikimedia NYC and METRO.
This Edit-a-thon will focus on expanding Wikipedia articles about Greenwich Village History and the public art, community gardens, and library branches in the area. Editors will have the opportunity to utilize rare books and items from the Greenwich Village Collection, which holds over 150+ books on the history of New York City.
This event includes an introduction to Wikipedia images and two duplicate trainings on using Wikipedia held in the morning and afternoon. No special Wiki knowledge is required to participate, just a love of Greenwich Village!
Wikipedians will be on hand to provide basic training on how to edit articles, provide more advanced training/assistance for the experienced, and to answer any other questions about Wikipedia and the organizational aspects of Wikipedia editing which go on in classrooms libraries, archives, and museums all over the world.
- 10:00 am: Event Begins (space is open for walk-in participation and conversation all day)
- 10:30 am: Session 1: Presentation on Wikipedia Editing
- 1:00 pm: Session 2: Presentation on Wikipedia Editing
- 5:00 pm: Event and Library Close
COMPUTER: If possible please bring your laptop / tablet device. [Jefferson Market has a limited number of computers for public use.]
WIFI: There is free wireless internet access at the library.
IMPORTANT: Please RSVP by adding your name to the list or RSVP on the Eventbrite or Meetup sites below.
HASHTAG: #GLAMwiki60s People are welcome to participate online at any time, not just during the on-site event.
- Documenting the event is important for others who are considering holding similar events. Take photographs of activities, upload them to Wikimedia Commons and then post them to this page once the event has passed.
Special collections and materials
- The Jefferson Market Library Collection
- About the Jefferson Market Library - Google doc finding aid
- Village Committee for the Jefferson Market Area records - 3 boxes held at NYPL Stephen A. Schwarzman Building Manuscripts and Archives Division, donated to the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation by Village Committee for the Jefferson Market Area (PDF finding aid)
- Greenwich Village Collection - select images from The Desk Set - NYC blog
- Greenwich Village Digital Archive - select images of The Jefferson Market Courthouse / Library Archive, 1800s - present
- Greenwich Village History - Greenwich Village Digital Archive class project
- Researching Greenwich Village History - Greenwich Village History project blog
Please sign up below if you are able to attend.
If you a newbie and don't know how to sign up on this page please RSVP at either of the following links:
- Pharos (talk) 16:23, 9 October 2013 (UTC)
- OR drohowa (talk) 17:08, 9 October 2013 (UTC)
- Scottandrewhutchins (talk) 15:19, 22 October 2013 (UTC)
- DGG ( talk ) 00:55, 28 October 2013 (UTC)( I might not be there untll 11 AM or even a little later. )
- Jim.henderson (talk) 12:48, 31 October 2013 (UTC) 1968-69 resident
- LoreMariano (talk) 17:20, 1 November 2013 (UTC)
- Fascinoma (talk) 02:04, 2 November 2013 (UTC)
- Wlmg (talk) 00:26, 10 October 2013 (UTC)
- MusikAnimal (talk) 19:57, 20 October 2013 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 20:00, 23 October 2013 (UTC)
- Andrevan@ 22:41, 29 October 2013 (UTC)
- SnowFire (talk) 16:00, 30 October 2013 (UTC)
- kosboot (talk) 19:12, 9 October 2013 (UTC)
- AstroCog (talk) 20:36, 9 October 2013 (UTC) Won't be available that day.
- Ssilvers (talk) 20:38, 16 October 2013 (UTC) Sorry, I'll be out of town. :(
- BrillLyle (talk) 02:05, 10 October 2013 (UTC) Something came up
- nycdi (talk) 01:02, 30 October 2013 (UTC) Have to work that day.
- MollyNYC (talk) 05:51 30 October 2013 (UTC) Prior engagement. Very sorry--I love that library.
- Epicgenius(give him tirade • check out damage) 13:58, 30 October 2013 (UTC) I have to take an exam – sorry.
- Sorry, in Florida this weekend. Newyorkbrad (talk) 15:00, 30 October 2013 (UTC)
- Visiting Mom in Ohio. Robert Greer (talk) 19:04, 30 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Woogie10w(User talk:Woogie10w)Sorry busy today. Best wishes.--Woogie10w (talk) 16:21, 2 November 2013 (UTC)
There will be primary materials available at the library on Greenwich Village in the 60s (see Special collections and materials above), so they can be used to either create new pages or add to existing pages.
If you have primary materials on Greenwich Village in the 60s, please bring them!
Focus areas, each of which might be developed as sections of the main article, and/or as subarticles, along with related topics to develop:
- History - History of Greenwich Village? Needs some sort of periodization and identification of main themes, but if we can have History of Troy, New York...
- Architecture - Architecture of Greenwich Village? Could be partly modeled on the Featured Article for Bristol...
- Culture - Culture of Greenwich Village? Surely this one...
- Economy Economy of Greenwich Village? There are probably reliable sources about this somewhere...
For the main Greenwich Village article: Pruning and wiki-gardening, harmonizing the sections, defining geographical scope, getting basic numbers on area and population.
Articles grouped in Category:Greenwich Village, especially stubs.
- New York City stubs
Wikipedia street/area pages
- Bank Street (Manhattan)
- Christopher Street (Manhattan)
- Gay Street (Manhattan)
- Greenwich Avenue
- Waverly Place
- West Village
- NYPL Archives & Manuscripts Greenwich Village archival materials query
- Internet Archive Greenwich Village query
- Flickr Greenwich Village query
- Arens, Egmont. The Little Book of Greenwich Village: a Handbook of Information Concerning New York's Bohemia, With Which Is Incorporated a Map And Directory. New York: E. Arens, 1918.
- Zotero - Greenwich Village History
- Creating Digital History - resources
- Wikipedia:GLAM/BeginnersGuide GLAM ("galleries, libraries, archives, and museums") Beginners’ Guide to Wikipedia - includes account creation, article editing
- Wikipedia:Contribution Team/Welcome - 5 slide quick intro (includes link to create new account)
- Wikipedia:Introduction - an overview of Wikipedia
- Wikipedia:Tutorial - shortcut: WP:T (contains videos)
- Help:Cheatsheet - shortcut: WP:CHEAT
- Wiki markup quick reference (PDF)
- Help:Wikipedia: The Missing Manual - shortcut: WP:TMM
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style
- Wikipedia:Help desk - shortcut: WP:HD
- Wikipedia IRC channel at #wikipedia-en-help
- Wikipedia:Citation templates
- Wikipedia:Starting an article
- Wikipedia:Your first article - shortcut: WP:YFA
- Wikimedia Commons Upload Image Files for uploading images
- Wikimedia Commons Upload Wizard for uploading personal (not institutional) images
- Bookshelf -- PDFs, videos, etc. resources
Attendees of record
- User:OR drohowa
- I created pages on Greenwich Village Chatter and John Lacey (artist). --Scottandrewhutchins (talk) 17:13, 2 November 2013 (UTC)
- Newbie doing her very first article wrote Henry Ward Beecher Monument, with technical assistance. Judeschwartz
- Oldtimer snapped File:Bell Labs APS plaque west side of Westbeth door jeh edited.jpg and File:George Bliss at HUB jeh.jpg a few blocks away and returned to the library to show another newbie how to insert the latter. Jim.henderson (talk) 21:16, 4 November 2013 (UTC)
- Re-arranged Beat Generation and added section on Greenwich Village.
- Added information to Frederick Clarke Withers page
- Newbies edited articles on Jefferson Market Prison, and New York Women's House of Detention
GLAM "galleries, libraries, archives, and museums"/Wikipedia Loves Libraries ("WLL")
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Biography/Science and academia
- Wikipedia:WikiProject New York Theatre