Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/August 4
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1265 – Second Barons' War: Royal forces under Prince Edward defeated baronial forces under Simon de Montfort, at the Battle of Evesham near Evesham, Worcestershire.
- 1783 – A climactic eruption of Mount Asama, one of the most active volcanoes in Japan, killed roughly 1,400 people and exacerbated a famine, resulting in another 20,000 deaths.
- 1914 – World War I: Adhering to the terms in the 1839 Treaty of London, the United Kingdom declared war on Germany in response to the latter's invasion of Belgium.
- 1964 – The National Security Agency falsely claimed that a U.S. Navy destroyer (pictured) was attacked a second time by North Vietnam in the Gulf of Tonkin, leading Congress to authorize the use of military force.
- 2007 – An airport police officer discovered a suitcase containing US$800,000 as it went through security at Jorge Newbery Airfield, sparking an international scandal involving Venezuela and Argentina.