|Type of site||Catalog and community|
|Owner||Arnoldo Mondadori Editore|
|Created by||Greg Sung|
|Alexa rank||25,895 (April 2014[update])|
aNobii is a social networking site aimed at readers. It was acquired by a new venture backed by HMV Group, HarperCollins, Penguin and Random House in 2010 from a private company owned by Greg Sung, based in Hong Kong.
The service allows individuals to catalogue their books and rate, review and discuss them with other readers. The service is available via the aNobii website and iPhone and Android apps. The apps allow individuals to barcode scan books and read both community and expert reviews.
aNobii has readers in over 20 countries, but is most popular in Italy.
On 2 March 2011 it was announced that in 2010 aNobii had been acquired by a UK startup led by HMV Group and supported by HarperCollins, Penguin and The Random House Group and that the company is working on a new version of the website with possibility to buy books and most of all ebooks.
In January 2013, it was announced that beta.anobii.com will be known as eBooks by Sainsbury's from 20 February 2013. Anobii.com will continue to exist as a social network for book lovers.
- "Anobii.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Good News, The aNobii Blog, March 2, 2011.
- "Sainsbury's moves into e-book space with acquisition of majority stake in online books platform Anobii". 12 June 2012.
- "Sainsbury enters e-book market with Anobii buy". Reuters. Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- "From 20th February 2013, this website will become eBooks by Sainsbury's". Anobii. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Notice of transfer of business". Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- About, The aNobii website, May 16, 2014.
- Pao, Ming (2007-07-09). "Web 2.0 'Made in Hong Kong'". Ming Pao van. Archived from the original on 2007-11-21. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- "Virtual Bookshelf in Hong Kong Impresses Bookworms of the Whole World". Hong Kong Economic Times. 2007-06-27. p. A35.
- "Shelf absorbed". South China Morning Post. 2007-08-02. pp. CITY5.