Albert Fert (born 7 March 1938) is a French physicist and one of the discoverers of giant magnetoresistance which brought about a breakthrough in gigabyte hard disks. Currently, he is an emeritus professor at Université Paris-Sud in Orsay and scientific director of a joint laboratory ('Unité mixte de recherche') between the Centre national de la recherche scientifique (National Scientific Research Centre) and Thales Group. Also, he is an Adjunct professor of physics at Michigan State University. He was awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Physics together with Peter Grünberg.
Fert graduated in 1962 from the École Normale Supérieure in Paris. He received his master's degree in 1963 at the University of Paris, and earned his PhD in 1970 at the Université Paris-Sud.
In 1988 Fert discovered the Giant magnetoresistance effect (GMR) in multilayers of iron and chromium. Peter Grünberg from the Jülich Research Centre simultaneously and independently discovered GMR. These two discoveries are recognized as the birth of spintronics. Since 1988, Albert Fert has made contributions to the field of spintronics.
Honors and awards 
- Fert, Albert (2006). "Summary of Symposium D on "Magnetoelectronics"". Journal of Alloys and Compounds 423 (1): 147. doi:10.1016/j.jallcom.2006.03.070.
- Fert, Albert; Shang-Fan, Lee (1996). "Theory of the Bipolar Spin Switch". Physical Review. B, Condensed Matter 53 (10): 6554. Bibcode:1996PhRvB..53.6554F. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.53.6554.
- Fert, Albert, Duvail, JL, Valet, T (1995). "Spin Relaxation Effects in the Perpendicular Magnetoresistance of Magnetic Multilayers". Physical Review. B, Condensed Matter 52 (9): 6513. Bibcode:1995PhRvB..52.6513F. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.52.6513. PMID 9981880.
- Fert, Albert, George, Jean-Marie, Jaffrès, Henri, Mattana, Richard, Seneor, Pierre (2003). "The New Era of Spintronics". Europhysics News 34 (6): 227. Bibcode:2003ENews..34..227F. doi:10.1051/epn:2003609.
- Hueso, Luis E; Pruneda, Jose M; Ferrari, Valeria; Burnell, Gavin; Valdes-Herrera, Jose P; Simons, Benjamin D; Littlewood, Peter B; Artacho, Emilio et al. (2007). "Transformation of Spin Information into Large Electrical Signals Using Carbon Nanotubes". Nature 445 (7126): 410. Bibcode:2007Natur.445..410H. doi:10.1038/nature05507. PMID 17251975.
- Fert, Albert, Duvail, Jean-Luc, Henri, Tierry (2006). "Supersymmetric Spin Information is Contained in Large Spinning Carbon Nanotubes". Europhysics Lett. 80 (3): 117.
- Levy, Peter M; Fert, Albert (2006). "Spin Transfer in Magnetic Tunnel Junctions with Hot Electrons". Physical Review Letters 97 (9): 97205. Bibcode:2006PhRvL..97i7205L. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.97.097205. PMID 17026398.
External links