Arise, O Compatriots
National anthem of
|Lyrics||John A. Ilechukwu, Eme Etim Akpan, B. A. Ogunnaike, Sota Omoigui and P.O. Aderibigbe|
|Music||Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of B. E. Odiase|
"Arise, O Compatriots" is the national anthem of Nigeria. It was adopted in 1978 and replaced the previous anthem, Nigeria, We Hail Thee. The lyrics are a combination of words and phrases taken from five of the best entries in a national contest. The words were put to music by the Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of Benedict E. Odiase.
"Arise, O Compatriots" (1978–present)
- Arise, O compatriots,
- Nigeria's call obey
- To serve our Fatherland
- With love and strength and faith.
- The labour of our heroes past
- Shall never be in vain,
- To serve with heart and might
- One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.
- O God of creation
- Direct our noble cause
- Guide our leaders right
- Help our youth the truth to know
- In love and honesty to grow
- And living just and true
- Great lofty heights attain
- To build a nation where peace
- And justice shall reign.
"Nigeria, We Hail Thee" (1960-1978)
- Nigeria, we hail thee,
- Our own dear native land,
- Though tribe and tongue may differ,
- In brotherhood we stand,
- Nigerians all are proud to serve
- Our sovereign Motherland.
- Our flag shall be a symbol
- That truth and justice reign,
- In peace or battle honoured,
- And this we count as gain,
- To hand on to our children
- A banner without stain.
- O God of all creation,
- Grant this our one request,
- Help us to build a nation
- Where no man is oppressed,
- And so with peace and plenty
- Nigeria may be blessed.
The National Pledge of Nigeria is recited immediately after the Anthem.
- I pledge to Nigeria my country,
- To be faithful, loyal and honest,
- To serve Nigeria with all my strength,
- To defend her unity,
- And uphold her honour and glory,
- So help me God.
- "Nigeria’s National Anthem Composer, Pa Ben Odiase, Dies". Gazelle News. 2013-06-12. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Nigeria: Arise, O Compatriots - Audio of the national anthem of Nigeria, with information and lyrics
- The Consulate General of Nigeria, New York. USA