Arise, O Compatriots
National anthem of Nigeria
|Lyrics||John A. Ilechukwu, Eme Etim Akpan, B. A. Ogunnaike, Sota Omoigui and P.O. Aderibigbe|
|Music||Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of B. E. Odiase|
"Arise, O Compatriots" is the national anthem of Nigeria. It was adopted in 1978 and replaced the previous anthem, Nigeria, We Hail Thee. The lyrics are a combination of words and phrases taken from five of the best entries in a national contest. The words were put to music by the Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of Benedict E. Odiase.
"Arise, O Compatriots" (1978–present)
- Arise, O compatriots,
- Nigeria's call obey
- To serve our Fatherland
- With love and strength and faith.
- The labour of our heroes past
- Shall never be in vain,
- To serve with heart and might
- One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.
- O God of all creation
- Direct our noble cause
- Guide our leaders right
- Help our youth the truth to know
- In love and honesty to grow
- And living just and true
- Great lofty heights attain
- To build a nation where peace
- And justice shall reign.
"Nigeria, We Hail Thee" (1960-1978)
- Nigeria, we hail thee,
- Our own dear native land,
- Though tribe and tongue may differ,
- In brotherhood we stand,
- Nigerians all are proud to serve
- Our sovereign Motherland.
- Our flag shall be a symbol
- That truth and justice reign,
- In peace or battle honored,
- And this we count as gain,
- To hand on to our children
- A banner without stain.
- O God of all creation,
- Grant this our one request,
- Help us to build a nation
- Where no man is oppressed,
- And so with peace and plenty
- Nigeria may be blessed.
The Pledge is recited immediately after the National Anthem
I pledge to Nigeria my country To be faithful, loyal and honest To serve Nigeria with all my strength To defend her unity, and uphold her honour and glory So, help me God.
- "Nigeria’s National Anthem Composer, Pa Ben Odiase, Dies". Gazelle News. 2013-06-12. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Nigeria: Arise, O Compatriots - Audio of the national anthem of Nigeria, with information and lyrics
- The Consulate General of Nigeria, New York. USA