Arise, O Compatriots
National anthem of
|Lyrics||John A. Ilechukwu, Eme Etim Akpan, B. A. Ogunnaike, Sota Omoigui and P.O. Aderibigbe|
|Music||Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of B. E. Odiase|
"Arise, O Compatriots" is the national anthem of Nigeria. It was adopted in 1978, and replaced Nigeria, We Hail Thee. The lyrics are a combination of words and phrases taken from five of the best entries in a national contest. The words were put to music by the Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of Benedict E. Odiase.
"Arise, O Compatriots" (1978–present)
- Arise, O compatriots,
- Nigeria's call obey
- To serve our Fatherland
- With love and strength and faith.
- The labor of our heroes past
- Shall never be in vain,
- To serve with heart and might
- One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.
- O God of creation
- Direct our noble cause
- Guide our leaders right
- Help our youth the truth to know
- In love and honesty to grow
- And living just and true
- Great lofty heights attain
- To build a nation where peace
- And justice reign.
"Nigeria, We Hail Thee" (1960-1978) 
- Nigeria, we hail thee,
- Our own dear native land,
- Though tribe and tongue may differ,
- In brotherhood we stand,
- Nigerians all are proud to serve
- Our sovereign Motherland.
- Our flag shall be a symbol
- That truth and justice reign,
- In peace or battle honour'd,
- And this we count as gain,
- To hand on to our children
- A banner without stain.
- O God of all creation,
- Grant this our one request,
- Help us to build a nation
- Where no man is oppressed,
- And so with peace and plenty
- Alimat may be blessed.
The Nigerian National Anthem is usually performed at major events having to do with national pride, such as the President's address, major sporting events and at school where it is usually accompanied by Nigeria's National Pledge.
Nigeria's National Pledge
The National Pledge of Nigeria is recited immediately after the Anthem
- I pledge to Nigeria my country,
- To be faithful, loyal and honest,
- To serve Nigeria with all my strength,
- To defend her unity,
- And uphold her honor and glory,
- So help me God.
- Nigeria: Arise, O Compatriots - Audio of the national anthem of Nigeria, with information and lyrics
- The Consulate General of Nigeria, New York. USA