Gunfleet Sands Offshore Wind Farm
|Gunfleet Sands Offshore Wind Farm|
The farm from a passing ship, 30 September 2010
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|Location||Northern Thames Estuary 7 km off Clacton-on-Sea, Essex|
|Commission date||15 June 2010|
|Manufacturer(s)||Siemens Wind Power|
|Generation units||48 × Siemens 3.6 MW turbines|
|Maximum capacity||173 MW|
Gunfleet Sands Offshore Wind Farm is a 173 MW wind farm 7 km off the Clacton-on-Sea and Holland Essex coast in the Northern Thames Estuary, commissioned on 15 June 2010. It has 48 Siemens Wind Power wind turbines of 3.6 MW capacity each. Construction began in March 2008 and the first two turbines started generating electricity in August 2009. As of January 2010, 45 turbines are in place with 20 supplying electricity to the grid. On average, the complete wind farm is expected to supply enough power for approximately 120,000 homes. Revenue is around 0,16 € per kWh.
The project is being constructed by DONG Energy and all 48 turbines are made by Siemens Wind Power. Construction was originally due to be completed in Autumn 2009, however the project overran, partly due to the cable installation contractor Oceanteam going into administration in May 2009.
The estimated production is 570 GWh with a 38% load factor. Production in 2011 was 467.43 GWh with a 30.88% load factor.
Two Siemens 6 MW gearless wind turbines have been commissioned at Gunfleet, and are called Gunfleet 3. They will be tested for three years, and DONG hopes to reduce the cost of new offshore wind power to £100/MWh by 2020.
- Wind power in the United Kingdom
- List of offshore wind farms in the United Kingdom
- List of offshore wind farms in the North Sea
- List of offshore wind farms
- Holm, Erik. Britain rounds 1 GW Video of construction Ing.dk, 15 June 2010. Retrieved: 15 June 2010.
- Gunfleet Sands offshore wind farm (United Kingdom) 4C . Retrieved: 27 October 2010.
- "First power from the first Round 2 offshore wind farm — DONG Energy’s Gunfleet Sands project".
- Clacton and Frinton Gazette: "Wind farm close to full capacity
- British Wind Energy Association
- Tendring District Council
- Holm, Erik. Britain to lead sea wind Ing.dk, 16 June 2010. Retrieved: 16 June 2010.
- "Gunfleet Sands wind farm firm goes under".
- LORC Datasheet for Gunfleet Sands
- "Siemens to supply 300 offshore wind turbines to DONG Energy" PennEnergy, 19 July 2012. Retrieved: 20 July 2012.
- "Siemens 6MW turbines produce power in UK waters" WindPower Monthly 19 April 2013. Retrieved: 24 April 1913.
- Ben Miller. "Gunfleet Sands III officially opened" Windpower Offshore, 12 September 2013. Accessed: 26 September 2013.
- Jessica Shankleman. "DONG Energy hails world's first Siemens 6MW offshore wind turbines" BusinessGreen, 12 September 2013. Accessed: 26 September 2013.
- Erik Holm & Sanne Wittrup. "Tre havvindparker koblede ud under stormen" (in Danish) Ingeniøren, 29 October 2013. Accessed: 29 October 2013.