Queen of Heaven Mausoleum at corners of Wolf and Roosevelt roads
|Area||3.18 sq mi (8 km2)|
|- land||3.18 sq mi (8 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||2,565.1 / sq mi (990 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Hillside, Illinois|
Hillside is located at (41.874797, −87.900372).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 3.18 square miles (8.2 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 8,157 people, 2,914 households, and 1,975 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,565.1 people per square mile (994.8/km²). There were 3,138 housing units at an average density of 986.8 per square mile (382.7/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 37.7% White, 43.2% African American, 0.3% Native American, 3.3% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 12.3% some other race, and 3.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 27.6% of the population, of which 23.6% of the total population were Mexican.
There were 2,914 households, out of which 35.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.8% were headed by married couples living together, 18.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.2% were non-families. 28.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.2% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71, and the average family size was 3.35.
In the village the population was spread out with 23.4% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 27.0% from 45 to 64, and 13.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.6 years. For every 100 females there were 93.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.8 males.
For the period 2007-11, the estimated median annual income for a household in the village was $53,236, and the median income for a family was $61,933. Male full-time workers had a median income of $51,033 versus $44,819 for females. The per capita income for the village was $25,047. About 9.3% of families and 14.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.2% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.
Hillside is divided between three congressional districts. The area north of Harrison Street, and most of the area northeast of Roosevelt Road and Haase Avenue, is in Illinois's 7th congressional district; the southern arm of the city, south of Roosevelt Road along Wolf Road, is in the 3rd district; the area in between (primarily Mount Carmel Cemetery) is in the 4th district.
Primary and secondary schools
Hillside School District 93 :
- Hillside Public School (Hillside)
Berkeley School District 87 :
- Sunnyside School (Berkeley)
- MacArthur Middle School (Berkeley)
Bellwood School District 88 :
- Lincoln Primary School (Bellwood)
- Lincoln Elementary School (Bellwood)
- Wilson School (Bellwood)
- Roosevelt Junior High School (Bellwood)
All residents are served by Proviso Township High Schools District 209's  Proviso West High School in Hillside, though qualified students may also attend the Proviso Mathematics and Science Academy in nearby Forest Park.
One notable landmark in Hillside is the Mount Carmel Cemetery. On the grounds of the cemetery are the graves of a number of organized crime figures, such as Al Capone and Dion O'Bannion. A number of Bishops and Archbishops of the Archdiocese of Chicago are buried in the Bishop's Mausoleum at Mount Carmel Cemetery. Hillside is also the home and birthplace of the famous rap group Do or Die.
Colleges and universities
Nearby colleges and universities include:
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Hillside village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2007-2011 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates (DP03): Hillside village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- "Village of Hillside; Largest Employers". Hillside, IL. Retrieved July 13, 2011.