|Village of Matteson|
|Area||9.36 sq mi (24.24 km2)|
|- land||9.32 sq mi (24 km2)|
|- water||0.03 sq mi (0 km2), 0.32%|
|Density||2,039.6 / sq mi (787.5 / km2)|
|Mayor||Andre' B. Ashmore|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Matteson is located at (41.509832, -87.739267).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 9.36 square miles (24.2 km2), of which 9.32 square miles (24.1 km2) (or 99.57%) is land and 0.03 square miles (0.078 km2) (or 0.32%) is water. The village's topography is mostly flat.
|Source: US Census Bureau|
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,928 people, 4,561 households, and 3,553 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,811.2 people per square mile (699.1/km²). There were 4,712 housing units at an average density of 660.2 per square mile (254.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 65.99% African American, 28.68% White, 0.17% Native American, 1.41% Asian, 3.06% from other races, and 1.85% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.75% of the population. A Dateline NBC episode in 1997 focused on Matteson and the issue of racial balance. 
There were 4,561 households out of which 37.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.3% were married couples living together, 18.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.1% were non-families. 19.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the village, the population was spread out with 27.7% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 26.4% from 45 to 64, and 10.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 86.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.6 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $59,583, and the median income for a family was $65,666. Males had a median income of $46,075 versus $33,339 for females. The per capita income for the village was $25,024. About 2.7% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.0% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
Matteson is home to Lincoln Mall, one of the Chicago Southland's major regional shopping centers. It is located at Cicero Avenue and US Highway 30. Numerous big-box retailers are located in close proximity to the mall, as are several hotels and low/midrise office buildings.
The 110-acre (0.45 km2) Matteson Auto Mall, just west of Interstate 57 along US Highway 30, is the largest agglomeration of automobile dealerships in Illinois. The Matteson Auto Mall was originally developed by David Miller in 2001. Valspar operates a paint manufacturing facility in Matteson.
Matteson is in Illinois' 2nd congressional district.
Rich Township High School District 227, which has its headquarters in Matteson, operates public high schools serving Matteson. Different portions of Matteson are zoned to each of the three Rich Township district schools: Rich Central High School in Olympia Fields, Rich East High School in Park Forest, and Rich South High School in Richton Park.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Matteson village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Home." Rich Township High School District 227. Retrieved on December 9, 2012. "20550 S. Cicero Avenue | Matteson Illinois 60443"
- "Campus Attendance Boundaries." (Archive) Rich Township High School District 227. Updated February 2009. Retrieved on April 7, 2013.
- "Zoning Map." (Archive) Village of Matteson. Retrieved on April 7, 2013.