International Islamic University, Islamabad
|International Islamic University, Islamabad
بين الاقوامی اسلامی يونيورسٹی اسلام آباد
|Chancellor||President of Pakistan|
|Colours||Celadon, Green, White|
The International Islamic University (Arabic: الجامعة الإسلامية العالمية إسلام آباد, Urdu: بين الاقوامی اسلامی يونيورسٹی; popularize as IIU), is a public research university located in the urban area of Islamabad, Pakistan. It is regarded as one of the noted institution of Islam, theology, divinity, and the science.
Founded and established in 1980, the university was restructured, reorganized, and reconstituted in its current and modern form in 1985. It is one of premium institute of higher learning, and regarded as one of the largest university in the country. With approximated ~17,000 students currently enrolled in IIU, the university is ranked among of the top public universities in "general category" by the HEC, as of 2012. The university offers undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral studies programmes in science, humanities, arts, religious studies, social and natural sciences.
In addition, the university has nine research faculties and six autonomous academies, institutes and centers. The university is also noted for its engaging efforts to produce educational quality assurance for the purpose of improving academic standards in the country. It is completely distinct from the International Islamic University in Malaysia.
- 1 Campuses
- 2 Organization
- 3 Libraries
- 4 Departmental libraries
- 5 Foreign collaboration
- 6 Management
- 7 Associations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
There are two campuses of university.
The university's old campus is located around the Faisal Mosque. It was designed by a Turkish architect and was donated to the university by late King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. The mosque is spread over an area of 190,000 square meters and can accommodate about 250,000 people. It comprises one of the biggest prayer halls of South Asia, with a capacity of over 10,000 worshippers.
The new campus is located in Sector H-10 of Islamabad, a sector given solely to the university. Construction of the first phase was completed in February 2003. A women's campus has been established. Central library construction was completed in 2006, along with the Lincoln corner.
The Government of Pakistan allotted Islamabad, Sector H-10, comprising 704 acres (2.849 km2) of land, to enable the university to shift to its own new premises.
The university comprises three male and three female Academic Blocks and eleven hostel blocks (seven for males and four for females).
As envisaged in the Master Plan of the new campus, the university will be completed in phases; Stage-I of Phase-I has reached culmination while stage-II is nearing completion. When constructed in its entirety, the university will accommodate 30,000 students (20,000 male and 10,000 female) in 22–25 faculties. In addition, there will be 57 hostel blocks for male students and 28 for female and partial accommodation for teaching/research and administrative staff.
There is to be a central mosque and a central library. Provision has been made for a commercial center and shops for the resident staff and the students.
The university consists of the following faculties:
- Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences
- Department of Computer Sciences & Software Engineering (NCEAC accredited)
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Department of Environmental Sciences
- Department of Biotechnology & Bioinformatics
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology
- Department of Electronic Engineering (PEC accredited)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (PEC recognized)
- Faculty of Arabic Language and Islamic Civilization
- Faculty of Languages, Literature and Humanities
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Technology Management
- Faculty of Shariah and Law
- Department of Law
- Department of Shariah
- Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Education
- Politics and International Relations
- Department of Psychology
- Department of History & Pakistan Studies
- Department of Islamic Arts and Architecture
- Department of Media & Communications
- Department of Sociology
- Faculty of Islamic Studies (Usuluddin)
- Tafseer & Quranic Sciences
- Department of Hadith & its Sciences
- Department of Comparative Religions
- Department of Dawah & Islamic Culture
- Department of Aqeedah & Philosophy
- Department of Seerah & Islamic History
- Islamic Research Institute
- Iqbal International Institute for Research & Dialogue
- International Institute of Islamic Economics
- Institute of Professional Studies
- Dawah Academy
- Shari'ah Academy
- Iqra College For Technical Education
- International Islamic University Schools
- English Language Centre
The Central Library one of the biggest libraries in Asia of Islamic learning and research materials. The library contains a collection of books, journals, research projects and international magazines.
Lincoln Corner is situated in the library. It contains material on American History. The Lincoln Corner has multimedia projectors, DVD players, and broadband internet.
Dr. Muhammad Hamidullah Library
The International Institute of Islamic Economics provides facilities for research on Islamic economics. It contains rare books on Islamic law relating to economics and the Islamic way of running government.
Islamic Research Institute library is the source of knowledge regarding Islamic research.
For science and technology the library contains 25,000 books. 15 periodicals are subscribed, and ten newspapers are purchased. The library can seat 50 users. The library has 550 research reports/theses.
Dawah Academy library
Dawah library supports the research, training and publication programmes of Dawah Academy. More than 22,000 books are available.
Each department of the university has its own small library.
The Islamic University has academic collaboration with the following universities:
- Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
- Ummul Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
- Islamic University of Medina, Medina, Saudi Arabia
- Imam Muhammad Bin Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Ningxia University, People's Republic of China
A number of teachers who specialize in Shariah, Usul al Din wa Da’wah, Arabic Language and other subjects are provided on loan by these universities.
- Pro Chancellor: Professor Dr. Suliman A. Aba Al-Khail.
- Rector: Prof. Dr. Masoom Yasinzai.
- President: Dr. Ahmad Yousif A. Al-Draiweesh.
- Vice-president: Prof. Dr. Mumtaz Ahmad(Academics), Mr. Professor Dr. Sahibzada Sajid-ur-Rehman(Administration, Finance & Planning).
- Dean Faculty of Arabic: Dr. Mahmood Hassan Makhlof.
- Dean Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences: Dr. Muhammad Irfan.
- Dean Faculty of Engineering and Technology: Dr. Ghulam Yasin Chohan.
- Director-General of the Institute of Islamic Economics: Dr. Asad Zaman.
- Dean of the Faculty of Islamic Studies: Professor Dr. Ahmad Yousif A. Al-Draiweesh
- Dean Faculty of Languages & Literature: Dr. Amjad Rasheed.
- Dean Faculty of Management Sciences: Dr. Bashir Khan.
- Dean Faculty of Shariah & Law: Dr. Zia ul Haq.
- Dean Faculty of Social Sciences: Dr. Nabi Bux Jumani.
- Director of Female Campus: Dr. Zaitoon Baigum.
- Director Academics, (Registrar): Ms. Shagufta Haroon.
Nelson Mandela receive honorary PhD degree from International Islamic University,Islamabad.
Prof.Dr.Sayyed Tahir Professor of Islamic Economics at International Islamic University,Malaysia.
Prof.Dr.Nasim Shah Shirazi former Dean IIIE,IIUI.Faculty member IRTI Islamic Development Bank,Jaddah.
- Academic Staff Welfare Association
- Officer Welfare Association
- University Staff Welfare Association
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2009)|
- Google. "Location and address of IIU". google maps. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- IIU. "History". History IIU. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Govt. Pakistan. "HEC rankings". HEC rankings. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- From the Web editon (23 Febrauary 2013). "HEC announces ranking of universities". The News International. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- IIU. "Quality Assurance at IIU". Quality Assurance at IIU. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Faisal Mosque". Archnet Digital Library. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- Google maps. "Address of International Islamic University". Google maps. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- http://www.iiu.edu.pk/News/news_May07.html/[dead link]
- Official website
- Dailytimes :IIUI holds a massive Book Fair
- PEC Accreditation to Degree of Electronics Engineering
- Conference on Applied Business Research IIUI " Transforming Knowledge"
- Alfalah hostel Details