Jurassic Park Adventures: Survivor
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (August 2007)|
|Series||Jurassic Park Adventures|
|Publisher||Random House Books for Young Readers|
|June 12, 2001|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
|Followed by||Jurassic Park Adventures: Prey|
Jurassic Park Adventures: Survivor is the first installment in the Jurassic Park Adventures book series by Scott Ciencin.
The book is a prequel to Jurassic Park III and tells the story of Eric Kirby's survival on Isla Sorna, from the moment he gets stranded there, to the arrival, eight weeks later, of Alan Grant and the others.
The book reveals that Amanda Kirby and her new boyfriend, Ben Hildebrand, had planned to travel to Costa Rica and take Eric Kirby to Isla Sorna.
Unfortunately, Ben and Eric have a Parasailing accident and end up stranded on the island. Ben is later killed after being injured in the crash, and Eric is forced to leave when Dinosaurs start roaming the area.
From that moment on he has to survive by himself, matching wits with the Dinosaurs in the island.
After being injured by an Ankylosaurus and chased by a pack of Compsognathus, Eric finds InGen's old buildings, when he decides to hide. Unfortunately, this place is also being used by Velociraptors as headquarters, and he is almost devoured.
Later, he decides to find a communications bunker to ask for help. However, he ends up trapped in the middle of a furious battle between a large pack of Velociraptors and a large pack of Iguanodons, and eventually he sacrifices his last chance to get help, instead saving a young Iguanodon he had befriended before.
After that, he returns to the jungle knowing that perhaps he will spend the rest of his life there.
The book reveals some interesting things about InGen, Jurassic Park and its dinosaurs, and also about the main character, for example:
- It is revealed that original wildlife on the island has survived despite the introduction of dinosaurs, including sloths, quetzals and snakes.
- It seems that the dinosaur population is not as balanced as previously thought, and raptors are actually keeping herds of herbivores prisoners in a valley, so that they can hunt them more easily.
- It is revealed how Eric got the Tyrannosaurus urine and also the raptor claw he shows to Alan Grant in the movie.
- Iguanodons are introduced in this book; Eric befriends one of them, and names him "Iggy".
- A Pteranodon is described as flying around the island, although in the movie, all Pteranodons were captive. The Pteranodon is eventually caught by a T-Rex.
- It is revealed that Ben most likely died due to internal injury, not eaten.
- The dinosaurs that appear in Survivor are Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, Velociraptor, Compsognathus, T. Rex, Diplodocus, Pteranodon and Iguanodon. The Spinosaurus did not appear in the book, even though Eric stated in the film that the T. Rex urine had attracted "A Humungous Dinosaur with a Sail on It's Back". The only other 4 dinosaurs that were also not in the book were Stegosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Corythosaurus and Ceratosaurus.
- Scott Ciencin suggests that the reason for the Deinonychus-like appearance on Velociraptors, and the teeth on Pteranodon are most likely the result of InGen's scientists messing up with dinosaur DNA during the creation of Jurassic Park.