Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness
|Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness|
|Format||CGI animated series|
|Developed by||Peter Hastings|
|Voices of||Mick Wingert
|Theme music composer||Jeremy Zuckerman
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||70 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Peter Hastings
Cheryl Holliday (season 1)
Bret Haaland (season 2-present)
Dean Hoff (season 1)
|Running time||approx. 23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||DreamWorks Animation
|Original run||November 7, 2011– present|
|Preceded by||Kung Fu Panda|
Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness is an American computer-animated television series spun-off from the Kung Fu Panda films. It picks up where the first two films have left off, showing Po's training to becoming a successful Dragon Warrior.
The series was originally set to air on Nickelodeon in 2010, but it was pushed back to 2011 instead. Two special previews were aired on September 19 and October 21, 2011 and it officially premiered on November 7, 2011. Three seasons have aired since then, with the third season taking a six-month hiatus in July 2013, and returning in January 2014.
Beside Lucy Liu and James Hong, who reprise their film roles as Viper and Mr. Ping, the cast features new voice actors for the characters of Po (Mick Wingert), Master Shifu (Fred Tatasciore), Tigress (Kari Wahlgren), Crane (Amir Talai), Monkey (James Sie), and Mantis (Max Koch).
Po and the Furious Five defend the Valley of Peace from villains of different kinds. All the while, Po makes mistakes, learns lessons, learns more about the history of kung fu, and meets other famous kung fu Masters.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.S. dates)|
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||26||September 19, 2011||April 5, 2012|
|2||26||April 6, 2012||June 21, 2013|
|3||26||June 24, 2013||TBA|
- Mick Wingert - Po, Zeng, Bad Po, Kid, Pig Villager, Villagers, Shao, Qilin, Ying (1st Time)
- Fred Tatasciore - Shifu, Gah-ri, Croc Bandit, Qidan Warrior, Jong's Rhino Guards, Bao, Mongolian Fist Demon, Duck Villager, Elderly Goat, Mayor Pig, Villagers, Jiangshi, Can-Shoo, Bataar
- Kari Wahlgren - Tigress, Mei Li, Mrs. Yoon, Lam, Fang (1st Time), Villagers, Twins, Han, Yue Yue
- Amir Talai - Crane, Male Goose
- Lucy Liu - Viper
- James Sie - Monkey, Jong's Catapult Guard, Master Chao, Wu Kong
- Max Koch - Mantis, Jong's Water Buffalo Guards, Croc Bandit in Wig, Cheen-Gwan, Chunlun, Ying (2nd Time)
- James Hong - Mr. Ping
- Ava Acres - Zan
- Pamela Adlon - Fang (2nd Time)
- Diedrich Bader - Hundun
- Maria Bamford - Chen, Female Pig, Goat Woman, Lu-Shi
- Jeff Bennett - Tong Fo
- Susanne Blakeslee - Mei Ling
- Clancy Brown - Pai Mei
- Danny Cooksey - Peng
- Jim Cummings - Lidong
- Tim Dadabo - Shengqi
- Grey DeLisle - Jiao, Liang, Lippy
- John DiMaggio - Fung, Croc Bandit
- R. Lee Ermey - General Tsin
- Peter Hastings - Apple Cart Duck, Vendor, Imperial Sculptor, Attendant, Mr. Liu, Mun Lin, Painter, Official, Master Prawn
- Gaille Heidemann - Madame Zhou
- Simon Helberg - Bian Zao
- Amy Hill - Su, Mrs. Gow
- April Hong - Hao Ming
- Toby Huss - Mr. Yeung, Snow Leopard
- Ken Jeong - Superintendent Woo
- John Kassir - Sai So, Sanzu
- Randall Duk Kim - Grand Master Oogway
- Wayne Knight - Jong, Jong's Son
- David Koechner - Dosu
- Maurice LaMarche - Heilang
- Tress MacNeille - Wupo, Lupo
- Wendie Malick - Fenghuang
- Tohoru Masamune - Kira Kozu
- Christopher McDonald - Undertaker
- Kevin McDonald - Lu Kang
- Malcolm McDowell - Shirong
- Jim Meskimen - Meng Tao, Master Kweng, Shuyong Tree, Shuyong Tree Guardian #1
- Melanie Minichino - Lian
- Lynn Milgrim - Scorpion
- Alfred Molina - Ke-Pa
- Matthew Moy - Yijiro
- Michael Mullen - Superintendent Chang
- Laraine Newman - Yan Fan
- Rob Paulsen - Han Sr.
- Dannah Phirman - Xiao Niao
- Enn Reitel - Master Ding
- Paul Reubens - Ju-Long
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Temutai, Jing Mei, Qidan Warrior, Hong
- Stephen Root - Master Junjie, Mu-Shi
- Neil Ross - Constable Hu
- Paul Rugg - Master Yao
- Dwight Schultz - Fu-Xi
- Wallace Shawn - Taotie
- André Sogliuzzo - Tai Lung
- Cree Summer - Ho, Chang, Piggy
- Lauren Tom - Song, Bai Li, Ming
- Jim Ward - Kwan the Unkillable
- Gary Anthony Williams - Lao, Tsao
- April Winchell - Mistress Mugan
- Michael-Leon Wooley - Master Lun
- Keone Young - Wu Yong
|This section requires expansion. (November 2011)|
Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness also took part in Nickelodeon's revamp to their cartoon season on TV. As an early promotion, Po was featured in a Nickelodeon bumper with all the characters of the shows set to premiere (or were renewed) in 2011. On July 23, an exclusive sneak peek of the show was shown at the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con, with producers and members of the voice cast present at the panel. A sneak peek episode was released for the DVD / Blu-ray release for Kung Fu Panda 2 on December 13, 2011. In addition, two sneak preview episodes aired (one on September 19, 2011 and another on October 21, 2011) before the official premiere of the show.
Mary McNamara of Los Angeles Times called Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness "a show that won't drive every adult in earshot absolutely crazy. And these days, that's saying something." Kevin McFarland of The AV Club said that the show "rips out the elements that made the original film such a surprise, leaving behind a derivative, cliché-laden children's show that recycles moral platitudes adequately but is otherwise indistinguishable from countless other programs" and "isn't a show that's aiming to be cutting edge or original, just mildly entertaining, which it is....This isn't going to harm any kids, but it's not going to impress them either." Then he finished with giving the show a C score overall as the community grade is a B+ score. Despite the mixed reviews, the show has received four Emmy Awards and nominated for four Annie Awards.
Awards and nominations
|2012||Annie Awards||Best Television Production Children||Nominated|
|Character Animation in a Television Production||Micheal Franceschi|
|Directing in a Television Production||Gabe Swarr|
|Editing in a Television Production||Hugo Morales, Davrick Waltjen, Adam Arnold, Otto Ferrene|
|Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Cartoon|
|Daytime Emmy Awards|
|Outstanding Sound Editing - Animation||Joe Pizzulo, Paulette Lifton, James Lifton, Benjamin Wynn, Jeremy Zuckerman, Rob McIntryre, Anna Adams, Jason Stiff, Molly Minus, Matt Hall, Andrew Ing, Roberto Dominguez Alegria, Aran Tanchum, Chris Gresham and Lawrence Reyes||Won|
|Outstanding Sound Mixing - Animation||Justin Brinsfield, Matt Corey and Thomas J. Maydeck|
|Outstanding Casting for an Animated Series||Sarah Noonan and Meredith Layne|
|Outstanding Individual in Animation||Joel Fajnor|
|2013||Annie Awards||Storyboarding in an Animated Television or other Broadcast Venue Production||Ryan Kramer, Paul Linsley, Kenji Ono, Le Tang, Alice Herring, Mike Mullen, Aaron Hammersley (for "Enter the Dragon")||Nominated|
|Writing in an Animated Television or other Broadcast Venue Production||Doug Langdale (for "Kung Fu Day Care")|
|Editorial in an Animated Television or other Broadcast Venue Production||Hugo Morales, Adam Arnold, Davrick Waltjen, Otto Ferrene (for "Monkey in the Middle")||Nominated|
|Hugo Morales, Adam Arnold, Davrick Waltjen, Otto Ferrene (for "Enter the Dragon")||Won|
|Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Children's Animated Program||Peter Hastings, Bret Haaland, Randy Dormans, Gabe Swarr, Andrew Huebner||Won|
|Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program||Gabe Swarr, Michael Mullen, Lane Lueras, Juan Meza-Leon, Peter Hastings||Nominated|
|Outstanding Individual in Animation||Joel Fajnor (for "Kung Fu Day Care")||Won|
|Bill Dely (for "Kung Shoes")||Won|
|Outstanding Writing in Animation||Peter Hastings, Doug Langdale, Gene Grillo, Paul Rugg, Kevin Seccia, Scot Kreamer||Nominated|
|Outstanding Sound Editing - Animation||Joe Pizzulo, Gary Falcone, Jeremy Zukerman, Benjamin Wynn, Rob McIntyre, Anna Adams, Marc Schmidt, Andrew Ing, Jeseey Drake, Roberto Dominguez Alegira, Cynthia Merrill||Nominated|
|Outstanding Sound Mixing - Animation||Justin Brinsfield, Thomas J Maydeck, Rob McIntyre||Nominated|
|Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Animated Program||For episode: "Enter The Dragon"||Nominated|
|2014||Annie Awards||Best Animated TV/Broadcast Production For Children's Audience||Nominated|
|Writing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Katie Matila||Nominated|
|Editorial in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Adam Arnold, Hugo Morales, Davrick Waltjen||Nominated|
|Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Children's Animated Program||Peter Hastings, Bret Haaland, Randy Dormans, Gabe Swarr, Joann Estoesta and Andrew Huebner||Won|
|Outstanding Writing in an Animated Program||Gene Grillo, Peter Hastings, Scott Kreamer, Doug Langdale and Paul Rugg||Nominated|
|Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program||Aaron Hammersley, Lane Lueras, Michael Mullen and Peter Hastings||Nominated|
|Outstanding Sound Mixing – Animation||Justin Brinsfield, Matt Corey, Thomas J. Maydeck and Rob McIntyre||Won|
|Outstanding Sound Editing – Animation||Gary Falcone, Jeremy Zuckerman, Benjamin Wynn, Jessey Drake, Andrew Ing, Anna Adams, Roberto Alegria, Cynthia Merrill, Rob McIntyre and Marc Schmidt||Nominated|
A DVD compilation of seven Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness episodes, titled Good Croc, Bad Croc was released on June 18, 2013 by Fox Home Entertainment. The DVD contains the episodes: "Good Croc, Bad Croc," "The Princess and the Po," "Chain Reaction," "Bad Po," "Jailhouse Panda," "Father Crime," and "Po Fans Out." A DVD, subtitled The Scorpion Sting, was released on October 15, 2013. It contains the episodes: "Scorpion's Sting," "Love Stings," "Owl Be Back," "Monkey in the Middle," "Crane On A Wire," "Kung Shoes," and "Qilin Time." A DVD, subtitled The Midnight Stranger, was released on March 11, 2014. It contains the episodes: "Master Ping," "Shifu's Back," "Terror Cotta," "The Midnight Stranger," "Shoot the Messenger," "Secret Admirer," and "Huge."
- "Megahit Martial Arts Panda is Back as Nickelodeon and Dreamworks Animation Premiere Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, New CG-Animated Series, Monday, Nov. 7, at 5:30 P.M. (ET/PT)". PR Newswire. October 25, 2011. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- Barnes, Brooks (May 13, 2009). "'Kung Fu Panda' to Become a Series on Nickelodeon". The New York Times. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness : The Goosefather". Zap2It. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "KUNG FU PANDA: LEGENDS OF AWESOMENESS". Behind the Voice Actors. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- Liu, Ed (November 23, 2011). "PR: Nickelodeon Premieres New Episodes of "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness" for Thanksgiving Weekend". Toon Zone. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- "Malcolm McDowell Is Master Shifu's Dad In "Kung Fu Panda: Father Crime" – January 16, 2012". Nickutopia. January 6, 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness chops Nickelodeon". ToonBarn. March 31, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- "Starting up on "Kung Fu Panda"". The Track Team. September 16, 2010. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- Sifu Kisu (July 29, 2011). "Post #2 for Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness". Kung Fu Magazine Forums. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- ToonBarn Rob (May 3, 2011). "Nickelodeon asks: Are you ready? TMNT, TUFF Puppy, Fairly OddParents, SpongeBob, Kung-Fu Panda". ToonBarn. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- Timmy (July 23, 2011). "SDCC 2011: Friday Comic-Con Schedule". MovieWeb. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- "'Kung Fu Panda 2' Blu-ray Up for Pre-Order!". High-Def Digest. 2011-06-26. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- McNamara, Mary (November 7, 2011). "Television review: 'Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- McFarland, Kevin (November 7, 2011). "Kung Fu Panda: Legends Of Awesomeness". A.V. Club. Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- Beck, Jerry (February 4, 2012). ""Rango" tops Annie Award Winners". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces the 39th Annual Daytime Entertainment Emmy® Award Nominations" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. May 9, 2012. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces Winners for the 39th Annual Daytime Entertainment Creative Arts Emmy® Awards" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. June 17, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Annie Awards Nominees". International Animated Film Society, ASIFA-Hollywood. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- Beck, Jerry (February 2, 2013). "Annie Award Winners". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "The Nation Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces The 40th Annual Daytime Entertainment Emmy Award Nominations". The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. May 1, 2013. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces Winners for the 40th Annual Daytime Entertainment Creative Arts Emmy® Awards". The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. June 14, 2013. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "Outstanding Animated Program" (PDF). Academy of Television Arts & Sciences 65th annual Primetime Emmy Awards. National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. p. 18. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Amidi, Amid (December 2, 2013). "Complete List of 2013 Annie Award Nominations". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces the 41st Annual Daytime Entertainment Emmy® Award Nominations" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- "The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Announces Winners for the 41st Annual Daytime Entertainment Creative Arts Emmy® Awards" (PDF). National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. June 21, 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Lambert, David (April 22, 2013). "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness - 'Good Croc, Bad Croc' is a DVD Release of the TV Spin-Off". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- "Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment: - "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness: The Scorpion Sting" on DVD October 15; "Monsters vs Aliens: Cloning Around" on DVD October 15". Don411.com. September 10, 2013. Retrieved September 12, 2013.
- "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness: The Midnight Stranger". Fox Connect. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Official website
- Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness at the Internet Movie Database
- Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness at the Big Cartoon DataBase