Lyons' water tower, celebrating the city's role in the Soap Box Derby
Location in Toombs County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||7.5 sq mi (19.5 km2)|
|• Land||7.5 sq mi (19.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||240 ft (73 m)|
|• Density||582.3/sq mi (223.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0317505|
Lyons is located at (32.204287, -82.322732).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.5 square miles (19 km2), of which, 7.5 square miles (19 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.53%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,169 people, 1,547 households, and 986 families residing in the city. The population density was 557.1 people per square mile (215.2/km²). There were 1,787 housing units at an average density of 238.8 per square mile (92.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 59.25% White, 32.38% African American, 0.36% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 7.22% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.06% of the population.
There were 1,547 households out of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.7% were married couples living together, 21.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.2% were non-families. 31.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.9% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 19.7% from 45 to 64, and 14.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 92.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,202, and the median income for a family was $26,044. Males had a median income of $22,254 versus $16,611 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,364. About 28.6% of families and 37.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 54.8% of those under age 18 and 20.4% of those age 65 or over.
Toombs County School District
The Toombs County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of three elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. The district has 177 full-time teachers and over 2,856 students.
(or former residents)
- Cecile Bledsoe, Arkansas politician
- Nick Eason (NFL player currently with the Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Craig Campbell (country music singer)
- Travares Tillman (professional football player)
- Don Collins (former professional baseball player)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). Historical Gazetteer of the United States. Routledge. p. 237. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Georgia Board of Education, Retrieved June 28, 2010.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 28, 2010. The new high school is set to be 4 stories tall and will be completed in April 2012.