Seven Mile Market
|Headquarters||Pikesville, Maryland, USA|
Seven Mile Market is the largest kosher supermarket in the United States. The store, which is located in Pikesville, Maryland, was established in 1988, and has been in its current location since November 16, 2010. The store, which is under the kashrut supervision of the Star-K, also includes a pharmacy, a floral department, and a glasses store.
Seven Mile Market first opened in 1988, marketing to the 100,000 in Baltimore's Jewish community. Its name comes from Seven Mile Lane, where it was originally located. The owner previously had a small store called Jack's.
In 2010, the establishment moved into a former Safeway store adjacent to its former location. At 55,000 square feet (5,100 m2), this nearly doubled its prior amount of space, and made it the largest kosher supermarket in America. The Safeway once housed a kosher delicatessan, but that operation closed, and it was believed to be due to its inability to compete with Seven Mile Market. The previous largest kosher supermarket was Pomegranate in Brooklyn, which has 30,000 square feet (2,800 m2) of retail space, just barely surpassing Seven Mile Market's old store.
- Laura Vozzella (November 16, 2010). "'Nation's largest' kosher market opens in Pikesville". Baltimore Sun.
- "Md. kosher market to become U.S. biggest". UPI NewsTrack Business. March 4, 2010.
- http://wbal.com/apps/news/templates/story.aspx?articleid=46862&zoneid=3. Missing or empty
- Rochelle Eisenberg (November 19, 2010). "Seven Mile Market Reopens In New Venue". Baltimore Jewish Times.
- Eli W. Schlossberg. "Recollections and Reflections, A Nostalgic Glimpse at Baltimore: 1955 to 2007". Where What When. Retrieved June 2007.
- Staff (August 3, 2002). "Legal Briefs". Daily Record, The (Baltimore).
- Baltimore Jewish Times http://www.jewishtimes.com/index.php/jewishtimes/news/jt/local_news/seven_mile_to_take_over_safeway/
|url=missing title (help).