|Founded||1923 as City Produce Company|
|Headquarters||Thibodaux, Louisiana, USA|
Number of locations
|J.P. Rouse - Founder
Number of employees
Rouses Supermarkets are a chain of grocery markets based in the U.S. states of Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi with more than 5,000 employees. The company had its start as the City Produce Company, founded in Thibodaux, Louisiana by J. P. Rouse in 1923, which bought produce from local farmers in the Terrebonne and Lafourche Parishes, as well as the French Market in New Orleans, and shipped them around the United States. 
In 1960, Anthony Rouse (son of J. P. Rouse) and his cousin, Ciro DiMarco, opened a 7,000-square-foot (650 m2) grocery store in Houma, Louisiana. In the 1970s, the company operated stores in Houma, Raceland and the Rouses’ hometown of Thibodaux. During the 1980s, the company opened new stores in South Louisiana, in the communities of Lockport, Cut Off and Morgan City.
Rouses opened its first store in Metairie in 1995 and was then the largest independent grocer in Louisiana.
In 2007, two years after hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated the New Orleans area, Rouses acquired A&P’s Southern Division of 17 Sav-A-Center stores, effectively doubling the company in size, and giving the company its first stores in the city of New Orleans and in Mississippi. In 2008, Rouses acquired two additional stores in Mississippi.
In January 2009, Rouses opened a newly constructed store in Youngsville, Louisiana, a community in the Lafayette area. This location was the first in the Acadiana region for the chain, its western-most store, and the biggest grand opening event in company history.
In 2011, Rouses opened a 40,000-square-foot full service grocery store in the Central Business District of New Orleans ending 45 years without.
- 2010 New Orleans Magazine's Best Grocery Store/Deli 
- 2009 Gambit Best Supermarket 
- 2009 Sophisticated Woman’s Best Supermarket 
- 2009 Daily Comet’s Best Grocery Store in Lafourche Parish 
- 2009 Houma Courier’s Best Grocery Store in Terrebonne Parish 
- 2009 Sophisticated Woman’s Best Supermarket 
- 2009 Jefferson Life’s Best Supermarket
- 2009 Louisiana Life’s Best Places to Work 
- 2009 AOL’s Best Grocery Stores 
- 2008 Gambit Best Supermarket 
- 2008 Sophisticated Woman’s Best Supermarket 
- 2007 Association for Corporate Growth Louisiana Deal of the Year
- 2007 Sophisticated Woman’s Best Supermarket 
- 2007 Gambit Best Neighborhood Grocery on the North Shore 
- 2006 Sophisticated Woman’s Best Supermarket 
- 2006 Progressive Grocer Store of the Month 
- 2006 Thibodaux Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year
- 2005 Gambit Best Neighborhood Grocery on the North Shore
- 2005 St. Tammany West Chamber of Commerce Business Appreciation Award – Largest Expansion
- 2004 National Grocers Association Advertising Award Best Commercials
- 2004 National Grocers Association Advertising Award Best Grand Opening Campaign
- 2004 Addy Award Best Grocery Store Commercials
- 2003 Addy Award Best Grocery Store Commercials
- 1999 Food People of the Year (Donald)
- 1995 National Grocers Association Award - Fast Bagger
- 1984 Progressive Grocer Store of the Month
- "Rouses History". Rouses Supermarkets. 2009-03-05. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- Anderson, George (September 24, 2010). "Rouses' Gulf Coast Success Story". Retail Wire. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- Cure, Sarah (August 8, 2008). "Hancock to get new grocery". Sea Coast Echo. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- Schmidt, Kathrine (March 15, 2009). "Rouses operations moving forward". Houma Today. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- King, Ronette (March 7, 2009). "Grocery magnate Anthony J. Rouse dies at age 79". The Times-Picayune.
- "Rouses acquires grocery store in Matthews". The Times-Picayune. May 27, 2010. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- Donze, Frank. (2011). Rouses Market on Baronne Street fills void in Central Business District. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Rouses Markets taking ownership of six stores in Mobile, Baldwin counties from bankrupt Belle Foods. Retrieved October 04, 2013.
- Dugan, Kelli (2014-02-09). "It's geaux time! Louisiana-based Rouses Markets opens first of 5 Mobile, Baldwin stores". al.com.
- "Tops of the Town". New Orleans Magazine (New Orleans, Louisiana). January 2010. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- Coviello, Will (August 24, 2009). "Best of New Orleans® 2009". Gambit (Best of New Orleans). Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Shopping". Thenorthshoresbest.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "The Thibodaux Daily Comet | Thibodaux, LA". DailyComet.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "The Courier". Houma, Louisiana: HoumaToday.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Shopping". Thebestofjeff.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Best Places to Work in Louisiana". Louisiana Life (New Orleans, LA: Myneworleans.com). January–February 2009. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Best & Worst Grocery Stores". Daily Finance. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "2008". Thenorthshoresbest.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "The results are in!!". Thenorthshoresbest.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "2006". Thenorthshoresbest.com. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- McTaggart, Jenny (March 1, 2006). "Born on the bayou". Progressive Grocer. Retrieved 2011-09-04.