Sushmita Sen on the 'IGNITE' fashion show ramp in Nov 2012
19 November 1975 |
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
Sushmita Sen (born 19 November 1975) is an Indian film actress, model and beauty pageant title holder. She was crowned Miss Universe 1994 by outgoing title holder Dayanara Torres of Puerto Rico at the 43rd edition of the Miss Universe Pageant on May 20, 1994. She was the first Indian to win the crown.
After completing her reign, Sen went on to pursue an acting career in Bollywood movies. She started her career with Dastak, a movie rumored to have been based on her life. She rose to stardom in Tamil blockbuster Ratchagan; later, she attained commercial and critical recognition for her roles in Sirf Tum (1999) and the comedy Biwi No.1 (1999). The latter earned her the Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award. She has also acted in commercially successful films such as Aankhen (2002), Main Hoon Na (2004) - her biggest commercial success so far - and Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya? (2005). She received critical acclaim for her female-oriented roles in films such as Filhaal... (2002), Samay: When Time Strikes (2003), Chingaari (2005), Zindaggi Rocks (2006), Aag (2007) and others.
Sen was born into a Bengali family in Hyderabad. Her parents are Shuber Sen, a former Indian Air Force Wing Commander, and Subhra Sen, a jewelry designer and owner of a Dubai-based store. She has two siblings, a sister named Neelam, who is married to Nauman Malik, and a brother named Rajeev.
Often known as the most stylish and glamorous lady of India, Sushmita Sen made history by adopting a baby girl named Renée in 2000. She, as a single woman of only 25 years of age, was not viewed as socially acceptable to obtain the guardianship of the baby. However, the High Court of India quashed the appeal and she obtained gain of cause. On 13 Jan, 2010 she adopted a three-month-old girl and named her Alisah.
Sushmita had been dating Rajat Tara but broke up with him after she won the Miss Universe crown. Sushmita also had once dated Sanjay Narang. She was said to be dating Mudassar Aziz whom she met in 2008 when she was shooting for his film Dulha Mil Gaya. They broke up in 2010. Sushmita Sen has also been linked to Bollywood actor Randeep Hooda. They had an ugly break-up in 2009 which impacted the running of her film Karma Aur Holi.
At Miss Universe, Sen ranked third overall in the preliminaries, right behind preliminary winner Miss Colombia Carolina Gómez, and Miss Greece Rea Totounzi, who ranked second but won the preliminary swimsuit and evening gown competitions. Sen went on to place second, fifth and third in the swimsuit, interview, and evening gown semi-final competitions respectively, placing third place behind Miss Colombia Carolina Gomez and Miss Venezuela Minorka Mercado. All three women went on to be the final three contestants.They had one common question; i.e., "What is the essence of being a woman"? She answered "Being a woman by itself is a gift of God which all of us must appreciate. The origin of a child is a mother and is a woman and the woman is the one who shares and shows a man what love, caring, and sharing is all about. That's the essence of a woman." In the end, the judges placed their votes on Sen, making her the first woman from India to become Miss Universe. She owns the rights to send delegates from India to the Miss Universe pageant from 2010 onwards through her project I Am She – Miss Universe India.
After her reign as Miss Universe, Sushmita became an actress. Her first film, Dastak was in 1996, in which she played the victim of a stalker played by Sharad Kapoor. Mukul Dev starred as the lead actor. She then starred in the 1997 Tamil blockbuster, Ratchagan. Two years later her appearance as Rupali in David Dhawan's movie Biwi No.1 won her the Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award in 1999. Biwi No.1 was the second highest grossing movie of 1999. The same year, she was also nominated for her role in Sirf Tum in the same category, making her an obvious choice for winner. Following her famous dance item song in Fiza known as 'Mehboob Mere', she tried to make a niche for her career in the Indian film cinema.
She received critical acclaim and box office success for film Aankhen. So far, her biggest hit has been the 2004 movie Main Hoon Na, in which she starred as Shahrukh Khan's love interest. The film grossed a total of Rs 330,000,000 and was the second best selling movie of that year. Later, Sushmita played a lawyer in Main Aisa Hi Hoon opposite Ajay Devgan. In 2005, she also starred in a remake of Cactus Flower, called Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya?: Sen played the lead opposite Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif.
Sushmita has signed three big projects, one of which reportedly has her portraying the slain Pakistan Peoples Party leader Benazir Bhutto in a film co-produced by Zaid Aziz and Henna Rai of the Karachi production company Vox Vision, and Leicester-based Sum Films. Tentatively titled Benazir Bhutto: The Movie, the film will be shot in locations in Pakistan, the US, Britain and Dubai, where Bhutto spent years as a student and later as a political leader in exile. When Sushmita was asked about this big opportunity, she excitedly said, “Yes, I am keen to play the role.” The second is Farah Khan's untitled venture opposite Salman Khan, with the third one being veteran actress Rekhha's biopic titled "Sitare" under the banner of Red Chillies Entertainment.
- Filmfare Awards
- IIFA Awards
- Star Screen Awards
- Zee Cine Awards
- 2000: Best Supporting Actress for Biwi No.1 (1999)
- 2003: Best Supporting Actress for Filhaal... (2002)
- Other honours
|1999||Sirf Tum||Neha||Nominated—Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award|
|1999||Hindustan Ki Kasam||Priya|
|1999||Biwi No.1||Rupali||Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award|
|1999||Mudhalvan||Special appearance (song)
|2000||Fiza||Special appearance (song)|
|2001||Kyo Kii... Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta||Sonam|
|2001||Nayak: The Real Hero||Special appearance (song)|
|2001||Bas Itna Sa Khwaab Hai||Lara Oberoi|
|2002||Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge||Mehak|
|2002||Filhaal...||Sia Sheth||Nominated—Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award|
|2003||Samay: When Time Strikes||ACP Malvika Chauhan|
|2003||Pran Jaye Par Shaan Na Jaye||Herself||Special appearance|
|2004||Vaastu Shastra||Jhilmil Rao|
|2004||Main Hoon Na||Miss Chandni|
|2005||Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya?||Naina|
|2005||Main Aisa Hi Hoon||Neeti Khanna|
|2005||Kisna: The Warrior Poet||Naima Begum||Special appearance (song)|
|2005||It Was Raining That Night||Ayesha Sahani||Bengali / English language film|
|2006||Alag||Special appearance (song)|
|2007||Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag||Durga|
|2009||Karma Aur Holi||Meera|
|2009||Do Knot Disturb||Kiran|
|2010||Dulha Mil Gaya||Shimmer|
- IANS (2010-05-21). "News : Sushmita Sen now wants a biological child". The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Models Profile - Sushmitha Sen". The Amazing Models. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "The Hindu Business Line : Coke-Sushmita Sen deal cancelled". Thehindubusinessline.in. 2003-07-16. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Sushmita Sen - Bollywood Actress Sushmita Sen Biography - Life History of Sushmita Sen - Works of Actress Sushmita Sen
- "Fans wish Zeenat, Sushmita on birthday". Sify.com. 2011-11-23. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Sushmita Sen with Father". Photogallery.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Sen, Sushmita. "Biography for Sushmita Sen". IMDB.
- Ganesh S Lakshman, TNN Feb 12, 2006, 01.33am IST (2006-02-12). "MCH bulldozers may force St. Ann's to relocate - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Garima Sharma, TNN Mar 6, 2010, 12.00am IST (2010-03-06). "No college degree for Sushmita Sen - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "Bollywood Diva Sushmita Sen At Assotech's Event At Gurgaon". Faridabad Metro. 2012-05-06. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- "Susmita Sen Most Stylish: Cosmopolitan » Bollywood News and Bollywood Gossips | Bollywood Actors | Bollywood Actresses". Bollywood.celebden.com. 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- February 5, 2011 DC Correspondent (2011-02-05). "Sush consoles Renee". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Sushmita Sen's break up with her director boyfriend". dnaindia. 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Sushmita Sen hugs 'Ex'-Boyfriend Randeep Hooda - Entertainment and TV videos from India @". Zoomtv.smashits.com. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- "Randeep Hooda blasts Sushmita Sen". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- "I’m a born entrepreneur: Sen Sen". Hindustan Times. 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "Dulha Mil Gaya is my project out and out: Sushmita Sen".
- Punn, Goher (28 January 2009). "Sushmita Sen roped in to play Benazir Bhutto". Radio Sargam. Retrieved 28 January 2009.