Tennessee State Route 1
|Maintained by TDOT|
|Length:||538.8 mi (867.1 km)|
|west end:||I-55 US-61 / US-64 / US-70 / US-79 (Riverside Drive) – Memphis at Memphis-Arkansas Bridge|
|east end:||US-11E / US-19 / SR-34 (Volunteer Parkway) – Bristol|
|Counties:||Shelby, Fayette, Tipton, Haywood, Madison, Carroll, Benton, Humphreys, Dickson, Cheatham, Davidson, Rutherford, Cannon, Warren, Van Buren, White, Cumberland, Roane, Loudon, Knox, Grainger, Hawkins, Sullivan|
State Route 1 (SR-1), known as the Memphis to Bristol Highway, is a mostly-unsigned state highway in the U.S. state of Tennessee that is 538 miles (866 km) long. It stretches all the way from Memphis in the southwest corner of the state to Bristol in the northeast corner. Most of the route is overlaid on U.S. Route 70 (US-70) and US-11W.
- 1 Route Description
- 2 State Designations
- 3 List of singed segments
- 4 Counties traversed (west to east)
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
SR-1 begins on Interstate 55 (I-55) in the middle of the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge at the Arkansas–Tennessee state line. US-61, US-64, US-70, and US-79 come off the bridge alongside SR-1; US-61 soon turns south with SR-14. The other three U.S. Highways split east onto SR-3, and US-51 joins, only to split with SR-4 where SR-1 turns east alone onto North Parkway. However, US-64/US-70/US-79 soon rejoin SR-1 at SR-57. These 4 routes continue as Summer Avenue until exiting Memphis. The portions where SR-1 runs by itself are signed.
Between Memphis and Nashville
After leaving Memphis, SR-1 runs along the following routes:
- US-64, Memphis to SR-15 in Bartlett
- US-79, Memphis to SR-76 in Brownsville
- US-70, Memphis to SR-22 Bypass in Huntingdon
- US-70 Business through Huntingdon
- US-70/SR-364 in Huntingdon to SR-24 west of Belle Meade
SR-1 enters Nashville from the west along US-70S through the community of Bellevue. Between Old Hickory Pike and White Bridge Road east of Belle Meade, the highway is known as Harding Pike. Between here and Downtown Nashville, SR-1 is known as West End Avenue. In downtown, SR-1 is known as Broadway. As SR-1 approaches the Cumberland River, it turns southeast, joining US-70 and becoming known as 1st Avenue S (briefly) and then Hermitage Avenue. In East Nashville, SR-1 is known as Lebanon Pike and continues as such through the communities of Donelson and Hermitage.
Between Nashville and Knoxville
East of Nashville, SR-1 runs along the following routes:
- US-70S through Belle Meade and Nashville to SR-111 in Sparta
- Separate through Sparta - the only signed portion
- US-70/SR-26 in Sparta to SR-168 in Knoxville
SR-1 enters Knox County along with US-70 and US-11 (which joins SR-1 a few feet from the county line). From here to near the downtown area, the road is locally known as Kingston Pike and near the University of Tennessee campus it is known as Cumberland Avenue. It turns north onto Henley Street becoming Broadway Street, east onto Magnolia Avenue, north onto Hall of Fame Drive, and back onto Magnolia Avenue. In East Knoxville, SR-1 splits from US-70 and continues northeast with US-11 as Rutledge Pike.
Between Knoxville and Bristol
Between Knoxville and Bristol, SR-1 runs along US-11W
In Bristol, SR-1 leaves US-11W right at the state line, and heads east on its own (as a primary route) along State Street. It turns south at US-11E/US-19, ending two blocks later at Broad Street (SR-34).
State Route 1 runs as a primary or secondary highway as follows:
- Primary, Memphis to SR-76 in Brownsville
- Secondary, SR-76 to SR-186 (US-45 Bypass) in Jackson
- Primary, SR-186 to SR-22 Bypass in Huntingdon
- Secondary, SR-22 Bypass to SR-364 in Huntingdon
- Primary, SR-364 to I-40 west of Belle Meade
- Secondary, I-40 to SR-100 in Belle Meade
- Primary, SR-100 to I-440 in Nashville
- Secondary, I-440 to I-24 in Nashville
- Primary, I-24 to SR-111 in Sparta
- Secondary, SR-111 to SR-26 in Sparta
- Primary, SR-26 to SR-24 in Crossville
- Secondary, SR-24 to SR-29 south of Rockwood
- Primary, SR-29 to SR-61 in Rockwood
- Secondary, SR-61 to I-40 in Knoxville
- Primary, I-40 to Bristol
List of singed segments
- US 61, US 64, US 70 and US 79 to US 51, US 64, US 70 and US 79 in Memphis
- SR 14 and US 51 to US 64, US 70, US 79 and SR 57 in Memphis
- US 70S and SR 111 to US 70 and SR 26 in Sparta
Counties traversed (west to east)
State Route 1 traverses the counties shown in the table below.
- Tennessee Department of Transportation (24 January 2003). "State Highway and Interstate List 2003".
- Media related to Tennessee State Route 1 at Wikimedia Commons