United Bank of India
|Headquarters||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Products||Finance and Insurance
|Owner(s)||Government of India|
United Bank of India (UBI) is a state-owned financial services company headquartered in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Presently the bank has a three-tier organizational setup consisting of its Head office in Kolkata, 34 Regional offices and 1700 branches spread all over India. However, its major presence is in eastern India. The bank has three full fledged overseas branches, one each at Kolkata, New Delhi and Mumbai. United Bank of India now aims to expand its international activities.
On 30 March 2009, the Indian government approved the restructuring of United Bank of India. The government proposed to invest 2.5 billion rupees in shares by 31 March and another 5.50 billion in the next fiscal year in Tier-I capital instruments. The move is part of the Indian government's program to improve the capital base of the state-owned banks.
UBI was the result of the merger in 1950 of four Bengali banks: Comilla Banking Corporation (founded by Narendra Chandra Dutta in 1914 in what is now Bangladesh), Bengal Central Bank (founded by Sri J.C. Das in 1918), Comilla Union Bank (founded by Sri L.B. Dutta in 1922) and Hooghly Bank (founded by Sri D.N. Mukherjeee 1932).
- 1947 United Bank of India head office shift comilla To Capital Calcutta West Bangel
- 1961 UBI merged in Cuttack Bank and Tezpur Industrial Bank.
- In 1965, the Government of Pakistan took over the bank's branches in Pakistan.
- 1969 On 19 July, the Government of India nationalized UBI, along with 13 other major Indian commercial banks. At the time of nationalization UBI had only 174 branches.
- 1973 UBI acquired Hindusthan Mercantile Bank.
- 1976 UBI acquired Narang Bank of India, which had been established in 1943 in Narang, Gujrat.
Awards/ certifications received by the Bank
|Year||Award and Recognition|
|2006||National Award for the second best performance in financing small scale units by Ministry of Small Scale Industries, Government of India|
|2007||Golden Jubilee Award for the best bank in north east zone for excellence in the field of khadi and village industries from the Ministry of MSME, Government of India|
|2008||National Award for the best bank for excellence in field of Khadi and village industries for east and north east zones from the Ministry of MSME, Government of India|
|2009||National Award under Prime Minister Employment Guarantee Programme in north east zone from the Ministry of MSME, Government of India|
Delivery Channel Based Products of Bank
- United Bank of India Gets Indian Government Boots http://abclive.in/abclive_business/united_bank_india_restructuring.html