|1138 by topic|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1138 in poetry|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1138.|
- March 13
- April 10 – Robert Warelwast is nominated as Bishop of Exeter.
- July – Bavaria is taken away from the Welfen Henry X, Duke of Bavaria, and given to the Margrave Leopold IV of Austria.
- August 22 – Battle of the Standard in Yorkshire: David I of Scotland is defeated by the English.
- October 11 – An earthquake in Aleppo, Syria, kills about 230,000 people.
- November 5 – Lý Anh Tông is enthroned as emperor of Đại Việt at the age of two, starting a 37-year reign.
- The earldom of Pembroke, created for Gilbert de Clare, is the first earldom created by the Norman kings within the borders of Wales.
- The consuls of Florence are first mentioned, indicating that the city has become an independent and self-governing commune.
- date unknown
- probable – Saladin, ruler of Egypt and Syria (d. 1193)
- January 13 or January 14 – Simon I, Duke of Lorraine (b. 1076)
- January 25 – Antipope Anacletus II
- May 11 – William de Warenne, 2nd Earl of Surrey
- October 28 – King Bolesław III Wrymouth of Poland
- Arwa al-Sulayhi, sovereign queen of Yemen (b. 1048)
- probable – Avempace, Andalusian philosopher