6th Academy Awards
|6th Academy Awards|
|Date||March 16, 1934|
|Site||The Ambassador Hotel|
|Hosted by||Will Rogers|
|Most awards||Cavalcade (3)|
|Most nominations||Cavalcade, A Farewell to Arms and Lady for a Day (4)|
Will Rogers presented the Academy Award for Best Director, and when he opened the envelope he simply announced, "Come up and get it, Frank!" Frank Capra, certain he was the winner, ran to the podium to collect the Oscar, only to discover Rogers had meant Frank Lloyd, who won for Cavalcade, instead. Possibly to downplay Rogers' gaffe, he then called third nominee George Cukor to join the two Franks on stage.
This was the last time that the Oscars' eligibility period was spread over two different calendar years, creating the longest time frame for which films could be nominated: the year and a half from August 1, 1932 to December 31, 1933.
This was the last time that no film had more than four nominations. Cavalcade became the fourth film to win Best Picture without a writing nomination, and the last until Hamlet at the 21st Academy Awards.
Multiple nominations and awards
The following eight films received multiple nominations:
The following two films received multiple awards:
Scientific or Technical Awards
Class II Awards
- Electrical Research Products, Inc. (ERPI)
- For work in sound reproduction.
- RCA Victor Company, Inc.
- For work in sound reproduction.[a]
Class III Awards
- Fox Film Corporation, Fred Jackman and Warner Brothers Pictures, and Sidney Sanders and RKO Radio Pictures.
- For work in the technologies of cinematography and film projection.[b]
- Class II Scientific or Technical award winners receive a plaque.
- Class III Scientific or Technical award winners receive a citation.
- McBride, Joseph, Frank Capra: The Catastrophe of Success. New York: Simon & Schuster 1992. ISBN 0-671-73494-6, pp. 288-292, 294-296, 298-302, 309-310
- "The 6th Academy Awards (1934) Nominees and Winners". Oscars.org (Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences). Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- The sources consulted to compile and verify this list include: