After Life (TV series)
|Created by||Ricky Gervais|
|Directed by||Ricky Gervais|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Running time||25–31 min|
|Picture format||4K (16:9 UHDTV in high dynamic range)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||8 March 2019|
After Life follows Tony, who has a perfect life before his wife dies from breast cancer. He contemplates suicide, but instead he decides to live long enough to punish the world for his wife's death by saying and doing whatever wants. Although he thinks of this as his superpower, his plan is undermined when everyone around him tries to make him a better person again.
Cast and characters
- Ricky Gervais as Tony Johnson, head of feature stories at the Tambury Gazette, a local newspaper. After the death of his wife, he is depressed and suicidal.
- Tom Basden as Matt, Tony's brother-in-law and boss, head of the Tambury Gazette
- Tony Way as Lenny, photographer at the Tambury Gazette
- Diane Morgan as Kath, employee at the newspaper, responsible for advertising
- Mandeep Dhillon as Sandy, a newly hired journalist
- Ashley Jensen as Emma, a nurse working at Tony's dad's nursing home
- David Bradley as Ray Johnson, Tony's dad, who has dementia and lives in a nursing home
- Kerry Godliman as Lisa Johnson, Tony's late wife
- Paul Kaye as Tony's psychiatrist
- Tim Plester as Julian Kane, a drug addict, who is hired by Matt to deliver the paper
- Joe Wilkinson as postman Pat
- Tommy Finnegan as George, Tony's nephew
- Thomas Bastable as Robbie, a classmate of George's
- Dame Penelope Wilton as Anne, an older lady and widow, who Tony meets at the graveyard
- David Earl as Brian, a hoarder, who above all, wants to appear in the local newspaper
- Jo Hartley as June, Lenny's girlfriend
- Roisin Conaty as Daphne, aka "Roxy", a sex worker
- Anti as Brandy, Tony's and Lisa's dog, Tony's reason to keep living
|No.||Title||Directed by ||Written by ||Original air date |
|1||"Episode 1"||Ricky Gervais||Ricky Gervais||8 March 2019|
|Tony tries to adapt to life after his wife dies. Tony's workplace, Tambury Gazette, a free newspaper company, hires Sandy.|
|2||"Episode 2"||Ricky Gervais||Ricky Gervais||8 March 2019|
|3||"Episode 3"||Ricky Gervais||Ricky Gervais||8 March 2019|
|4||"Episode 4"||Ricky Gervais||Ricky Gervais||8 March 2019|
|5||"Episode 5"||Ricky Gervais||Ricky Gervais||8 March 2019|
|6||"Episode 6"||Ricky Gervais||Ricky Gervais||8 March 2019|
On 9 May 2018, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order for a first season consisting of six episodes. The series was created and directed by Ricky Gervais, who is also set to be executive producer alongside Charlie Hanson. On 14 January 2019, it was announced that the series would premiere on 8 March 2019. It was further announced that Duncan Hayes would serve as an additional executive producer and that Hanson would actually serve as a producer. It has been announced that After Life is being renewed for a second season. 
Alongside the series order announcement, it was confirmed that Ricky Gervais would star in the series. On 5 July 2018, it was announced that Penelope Wilton, David Bradley, Ashley Jensen, Tom Basden, Tony Way, David Earl, Joe Wilkinson, Kerry Godliman, Mandeep Dhillon, Jo Hartley, Roisin Conaty, and Diane Morgan had joined the series' cast.
Principal photography for the series had reportedly commenced by July 2018 in London.
On 22 February 2019, the official trailer for the series was released. On 8 March 2019, Netflix released all six episodes of the first season.
The first season received mixed reviews upon its release. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has an overall approval rating of 68% with an average score of 6.29/10 based on 37 reviews. The site's critical consensus reads, "After Life's first season teeters tonally between dark comedy and affecting drama, but Ricky Gervais' poignant performance illuminates new sides of the actor's talent".. Afterlife is notable for the disparity between 'Top Critic' score (40%) and Audience Score (92%), perhaps indicating Gervais further shift from critical acclaim and award-winner into the territory of crowd-pleaser. Merrill Barr from Forbes said of the series 'Overall, After Life is one hundred percent a series to check out. It’s the Ricky Gervais project people have been begging for, for a long time.' Josh Modell of AV Club states that AfterLife is a "dreary, sarcastic self-pity party that also manages—in a magic trick perhaps only Gervais is capable of pulling off—to constantly point out its protagonist’s intellectual superiority" and that "as a meaningful mediation on grief, is dead on arrival" 
- Petski, Denise (9 May 2018). "Ricky Gervais Comedy 'After Life' Gets Series Order At Netflix". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Ausiello, Michael (9 May 2018). "Ricky Gervais Comedy After Life Snags 6-Episode Series Order at Netflix". TVLine. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "After Life – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Goldberg, Lesley (9 May 2018). "Ricky Gervais to Create, Star in Netflix Scripted Comedy Series 'After Life'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Baysinger, Tim (9 May 2018). "Netflix Orders Ricky Gervais Sitcom 'After Life'". The Wrap. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Petski, Denise (14 January 2019). "Ricky Gervais' Netflix Series 'After Life' Sets March Premiere Date". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- Gervais, Ricky (2019-03-20). "Once again, I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your amazing tweets about #AfterLife. I've never had a reaction like it. I have a spring in my step as I skip towards writing series 2.pic.twitter.com/AUxYoZSMWm". @rickygervais. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- Wiseman, Andreas (5 July 2018). "'Downton Abbey' & 'Game Of Thrones' Stars Join Ricky Gervais In His New Netflix Comedy 'After Life', Shoot Under Way". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- Moon, Ra. "Where is After Life filmed? Tambury Filming Location of Ricky Gervais Netflix series". Atlas of Wonders. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Ellwood-Hughes, Pip (26 February 2019). "After Life: trailer arrives for Ricky Gervais' Netflix series". Entertainment Focus. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "After Life: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- Barr, Merrill. "'After Life' Review: A Show About Depression That Is Surprisingly Entertaining". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-03-22.