|Created by||Sharr White|
|Based on||Simply Halston|
by Steven Gaines
|Directed by||Daniel Minahan|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||5|
|Running time||44–53 minutes|
|Original release||May 14, 2021|
Halston is a 2021 American biographical drama streaming television miniseries based on the life of designer Halston, starring Ewan McGregor. Adapted from the 1991 book Simply Halston by Steven Gaines, the series was ordered by Netflix in September 2019 and premiered on May 14, 2021.
Cast and characters
- Ewan McGregor as Halston
- Rebecca Dayan as Elsa Peretti
- David Pittu as Joe Eula
- Krysta Rodriguez as Liza Minnelli
- Bill Pullman as David J. Mahoney
- Rory Culkin as Joel Schumacher
- James Riordan as Henry Bisset
- Sullivan Jones as Ed Austin
- Kelly Bishop as Eleanor Lambert
- Gian Franco Rodriguez as Victor Hugo
- Dilone as Pat Cleveland
- Vera Farmiga as Adele
- James Waterston as Mike
- Jason Kravits as Carl Epstein
- Mary Beth Peil as Martha Graham
- Maxim Swinton as Young Roy Halston
- Sietzka Rose as Karen Bjornson
- Jack Mikesell as John David Ridge
- Shannan Wilson as Bobbi Mahoney
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by ||Original release date |
|1||"Becoming Halston"||Daniel Minahan||Ian Brennan & Ryan Murphy and Sharr White||May 14, 2021|
|Halston gains notoriety for the pillbox hat worn by Jackie Kennedy at the 1961 inauguration, then for the daring looks worn by Liza Minnelli in her 1972 concert film.|
|2||"Versailles"||Daniel Minahan||Ian Brennan and Ted Malawer||May 14, 2021|
|Halston and his team fly to Paris in 1973 to participate in the Battle of Versailles fashion show.|
|3||"The Sweet Smell of Success"||Daniel Minahan||Ryan Murphy & Ian Brennan and Tim Pinckney & Kristina Woo||May 14, 2021|
|As business booms, expanding to luggage and other retail lines, Halston releases a signature fragrance for women in 1975.|
|4||"The Party's Over"||Daniel Minahan||Ryan Murphy & Ian Brennan and Sharr White||May 14, 2021|
|Wild nights at Studio 54 and an increasing cocaine habit take their toll on Halston. After alienating his collaborators, Halston accepts a deal designing affordable clothes for JCPenney in 1983.|
|5||"Critics"||Daniel Minahan||Ian Brennan & Ryan Murphy and Ted Malawer||May 14, 2021|
|Business demands wreak havoc in Halston's personal and professional affairs. His friendship with Martha Graham offers a chance to design costumes for Perséphone, earning Halston triumphant acclaim in 1987.|
In January 2019, it was announced that Legendary Television and Killer Films had put in development Simply Halston, a miniseries based on the life of Halston that would be based on the book of the same name by Steven Gaines, with Ewan McGregor set to star as Halston and the series to be written by Sharr White and directed by Daniel Minahan.
In September 2019, Ryan Murphy revealed to Time that he had signed onto Halston as an executive producer and that the series had been ordered by Netflix under his overall deal at the company. The series premiered on May 14, 2021.
On February 18, 2020, Murphy announced on a since deleted Instagram post that in addition to McGregor starring, other cast members of Halston included Krysta Rodriguez as Liza Minnelli, Rory Culkin as Joel Schumacher, Rebecca Dayan as Elsa Peretti, Sullivan Jones as Ed Austin, David Pittu as Joe Eula, Gian Franco Rodriguez as Victor Hugo, and Maxim Swinton as Young Roy Halston.
For the limited series, review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 67% based on 54 critic reviews, with an average rating of 6.30/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "Ewan McGregor brings megawatt charisma to match Halston's vibrant recreation of a fashion era, but the series' glib treatment of the legendary designer's interior life yields a lot of style with little substance." Metacritic gave the series a weighted average score of 50 out of 100 based on 20 critic reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
|Primetime Emmy Awards||
|Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie||Ewan McGregor||Won|||
|Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards||Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Period or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More)||Mark Ricker, Nithya Shrinivasan and Cherish M. Hale||Nominated|
|Outstanding Period Costumes||Jeriana San Juan, Catherine Crabtree, Cailey Breneman and Anne Newton-Harding (for "Versailles")||Nominated|
|Outstanding Period and/or Character Makeup (Non-Prosthetic)||Patricia Regan, Claus Lulla, Margot Boccia and Joseph A. Campayno (for "Versailles")||Nominated|
|Outstanding Music Supervision||Amanda Krieg Thomas, Alexis Martin Woodall and Ryan Murphy (for "The Party's Over")||Nominated|
|Golden Globe Awards||
|Best Actor in a Miniseries or Television Film||Ewan McGregor||Nominated|||
|GLAAD Media Awards||Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series||Halston||Nominated|||
- Petski, Denise (April 23, 2021). "'Halston': Ryan Murphy's Netflix Limited Series Gets Premiere Date, First-Look Photos". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 23, 2021.
- Feinberg, Daniel (May 14, 2021). "Ewan McGregor in Netflix's 'Halston': TV Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 29, 2021.
- "Halston". Writers Guild of America West. Retrieved April 26, 2021.
- "Halston – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved April 26, 2021.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 9, 2019). "'Simply Halston' Limited Series Starring Ewan McGregor As Famed Designer In Works At Legendary Television". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 20, 2021.
- Dino-Ray, Ramos (September 3, 2019). "Ryan Murphy Adds 'A Chorus Line', Halston Miniseries With Ewan McGregor and Warhol Docuseries To Robust Netflix Slate". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 20, 2021.
- Michael, Cuby (February 18, 2020). "Ewan McGregor transforms into fashion legend in Ryan Murphy's 'Halston' teaser". Nylon. Retrieved April 20, 2021.
- Grobar, Matt (May 11, 2021). "'Halston' Family Calls Netflix Series On Famed Fashion Designer "An Inaccurate, Fictionalized Account"". Deadline Hollywood.
- Prahl, Amanda (May 4, 2021). "Maxim Swinton as Young Roy Halston". PopSugar. Retrieved May 27, 2021.
- "Halston: Limited Series (2021)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 5, 2021.
- "Halston: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved November 5, 2021.
- Hipes, Patrick (July 13, 2021). "Emmy Nominations: The Crown, The Mandalorian Top List; HBO/HBO Max Edges Netflix For Top Spot – Full List Of Nominees". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 13, 2021.
- "Golden Globes 2022 nominations – full list". The Independent. December 13, 2021. Retrieved December 13, 2021.
- "The Nominees for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards". GLAAD. January 21, 2022. Retrieved January 22, 2022.