Alexander Jay Iaquinta|
April 30, 1987
Wantagh, New York, United States
|Nickname(s)||Ragin’ Al, Brooklyn Gangster|
|Residence||Seaford, New York, United States|
|Height||5 ft 9 1⁄2 in (1.77 m)|
|Weight||155.2 lb (70.4 kg; 11.09 st)|
|Division||Lightweight (145–155 Ib)|
|Reach||70 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Garden City, New York, United States|
|Team||Serra-Longo Fight Team|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Matt Serra|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Alexander Jay Iaquinta (//; born April 30, 1987) is an American mixed martial artist and real estate agent. A professional MMA competitor since 2009, Iaquinta has made a name for himself fighting for the Ring of Combat promotion and his stint on FX's The Ultimate Fighter: Live. He is currently signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). As of April 24, 2018, he is ranked #10 in official UFC Lightweight rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Iaquinta, who is of Italian descent, wrestled at Wantagh High School and went on to earn his associate degree from Nassau Community College, where he also wrestled. Before turning pro, Iaquinta had a perfect amateur record of 14-0. Iaquinta began his pro MMA career fighting for the Ring of Combat promotion. There, he earned a record of 5-1-1.
The Ultimate Fighter
Iaquinta was one of 32 lightweight fighters announced by the UFC to participate in first live season of The Ultimate Fighter reality show. Iaquinta advanced into the TUF house by defeating Jon Tuck by unanimous decision after one round. Afterwards, he was chosen as first pick for Team Faber.
In the quarter-finals, Iaquinta fought Team Faber teammate, Andy Ogle. Iaquinta won via TKO in the closing moments of round one. The win advanced Iaquinta into the semi-finals where he faced Team Cruz's Vinc Pichel. Iaquinta defeated Pichel via unanimous decision after two rounds, and moved onto the finals against teammate Michael Chiesa.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Iaquinta officially made his UFC debut at The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale on June 1, 2012, against Michael Chiesa to determine the winner of The Ultimate Fighter: Live. Iaquinta lost to Chiesa by rear naked choke early in the first round.
Iaquinta faced Ryan Couture on August 31, 2013, at UFC 164, replacing an injured Quinn Mulhern. He won the bout via unanimous decision after dominating the fight on the feet and negating all of Couture's takedown attempts.
Iaquinta was expected to face Anthony Njokuani on October 26, 2013, at UFC Fight Night 30, replacing an injured Paul Taylor On September 24, Njokuani pulled out of the event with an injury. Iaquinta instead faced Piotr Hallmann. He won the fight by unanimous decision.
Iaquinta was expected to face Bobby Green on July 15, 2015, at UFC Fight Night 71. However, Green pulled out of the fight in mid-June citing an undisclosed injury and was replaced by Gilbert Melendez. Subsequently, Melendez was removed from the card on July 6 after it was revealed that he tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs after his previous fight at UFC 188. In turn, Iaquinta was removed from the card as well.
Iaquinta was expected to face Thiago Alves on November 12, 2016, at UFC 205. However, Iaquinta announced on September 19 that he would not be taking the fight due to a contract dispute with the promotion.
Iaquinta was expected to face Paul Felder on December 2, 2017, at UFC 218. However, Iaquinta pulled out of the fight on October 31 due to being unsatisfied with his current contract and was replaced by Charles Oliveira.
UFC Lightweight Championship fight
The bout with Felder was rescheduled and was expected to take place on April 7, 2018, at UFC 223. However, because of an injury to Tony Ferguson and the state athletic commission's decision to pull replacement Max Holloway over concerns over his weight cut, Iaquinta is scheduled as a replacement against Khabib Nurmagomedov in the five round main event. In the fight, only Nurmagomedov was eligible to win the championship due to Iaquinta weighing in at two tenths of pound over the championship weight limit of 155. Ultimately, he lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Post UFC Lightweight Championship fight
Iaquinta was scheduled to face Justin Gaethje on August 25, 2018 at UFC Fight Night 135, in Lincoln, Nebraska. However, on June 28, 2018 Iaquinta withdraw from the bout and he was replaced by James Vick.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||13 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||13–4–1||Khabib Nurmagomedov||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 223||April 7, 2018||5||5:00||Brooklyn, New York, United States||For the vacant UFC Lightweight Championship. Iaquinta initially made weight (155.2 lbs) for his bout against Paul Felder. However, this weight did not meet the 155 lb limit when he was rescheduled to face Nurmagomedov; he was thus ineligible to win the title.|
|Win||13–3–1||Diego Sanchez||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Lobov||April 22, 2017||1||1:38||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||12–3–1||Jorge Masvidal||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas||April 4, 2015||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||11–3–1||Joe Lauzon||TKO (punches)||UFC 183||January 31, 2015||2||3:34||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–3–1||Ross Pearson||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Bisping||November 8, 2014||2||1:39||Sydney, Australia|
|Win||9–3–1||Rodrigo Damm||TKO (punches and elbows)||UFC Fight Night: Jacare vs. Mousasi||September 5, 2014||3||2:26||Mashantucket, Connecticut, United States|
|Loss||8–3–1||Mitch Clarke||Technical Submission (D'Arce choke)||UFC 173||May 24, 2014||2||0:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–2–1||Kevin Lee||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 169: Barao vs. Faber II||February 8, 2014||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||7–2–1||Piotr Hallmann||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz||October 26, 2013||3||5:00||Manchester, England|
|Win||6–2–1||Ryan Couture||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 164||August 31, 2013||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||5–2–1||Michael Chiesa||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale||June 1, 2012||1||2:47||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lost The Ultimate Fighter 15 Lightweight Tournament.|
|Loss||5–1–1||Pat Audinwood||Submission (armbar)||Ring of Combat 38||November 18, 2011||1||2:06||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Lost the ROC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0–1||Gabriel Miglioli||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 37||September 9, 2011||1||0:26||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won the vacant ROC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0–1||Gabriel Miglioli||Decision (split)||Ring of Combat 36||June 17, 2011||3||4:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||3–0–1||Joshua Key||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 27||November 20, 2009||1||1:47||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Catchweight (161 lbs) bout; Key missed weight.|
|Win||2–0–1||Tim Sylvester||KO (punch)||Ring of Combat 25||June 12, 2009||1||0:15||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Draw||1–0–1||Will Martinez||Draw (unanimous)||Ring of Combat 24||April 17, 2009||3||4:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Iaquinta deducted one point for fence grabbing.|
|Win||1–0||Mervin Rodriguez||Submission (anaconda choke)||Ring of Combat 23||February 20, 2009||1||1:15||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|4 matches||4 wins||0 losses|
|Win||4–0||Vinc Pichel||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||May 25, 2012 (Live airdate)||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Semifinal round.|
|Win||3–0||Andy Ogle||TKO (elbow and punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||May 18, 2012 (Live airdate)||1||4:44||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Quarterfinal round; Knockout of the Season.|
|Win||2–0||Myles Jury||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||March 30, 2012 (Live airdate)||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Preliminary round; Fight of the Season.|
|Win||1–0||Jon Tuck||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||March 9, 2012 (Live airdate)||1||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Elimination round.|
- Sherdog.com. "Al Iaquinta MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- "Fight Card - UFC 173 Barao vs. Dillashaw". UFC.com. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- "UFC 223 main-card breakdown: Three potential barnburners in Brooklyn". MMAjunkie. 2018-04-06. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- Daniel Clark (August 18, 2012). "Interview with Al Iaquinta". MMA Narcotic.
- "Al Iaquinta - , Real Estate Agent". www.realtor.com.
- "Fighter Rankings - UFC ®". UFC.
- "Winning only routine Iaquinta aims to keep". Newsday.
- "Al Laquinta UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- Sherdog.com. "Al Iaquinta MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog.
- "'The Ultimate Fighter 15' cast unveiled with 32 lightweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. February 27, 2012. Archived from the original on February 29, 2012. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- "Mixed martial arts results, Season 15 - The Ultimate Fighter" (PDF). State of Nevada, Department of Business and Industry Athletic Commission. March 9, 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 17, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Episode No. 4 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". MMAJunkie.com. March 30, 2012. Archived from the original on May 19, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "Episode No. 11 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". MMAJunkie.com. May 18, 2012. Archived from the original on May 21, 2012. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- "Episode No. 12 Recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". mmajunkie.com. May 25, 2012.
- Staff (January 31, 2013). "Joe Proctor vs. Al Iaquinta joins 'UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen' card". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- Staff (April 12, 2013). "Al Iaquinta also injured, fight pulled from UFC 159 lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-16). "Quinn Mulhern out, Al Iaquinta meets Ryan Couture at UFC 164 in Milwaukee". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Al Iaquinta replaces Paul Taylor, faces Anthony Njokuani at UFC Fight Night 30". mmajunkie.com. 19 September 2013. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013.
- Staff. "Injury knocks Anthony Njokuani out of UFC Fight Night 30 bout with Al Iaquinta". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Staff. "Piotr Hallman replaces Njokuani, meets Al Iaquinta at UFC Fight Night 30". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2014-02-26). "Iaquinta heading to Vegas to face Clarke". UFC.com. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- Jesse Holland (2014-07-12). "Al Iaquinta vs. Rodrigo Damm in the works for UFC Fight Night 50 on Sept. 5 in Connecticut". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- John Morgan (2014-09-05). "UFC Fight Night 50 results: Al Iaquinta batters, finishes Rodrigo Damm". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Matt Erickson (September 15, 2014). "Commission adjusts Al Iaquinta finish time of Rodrigo Damm at UFC Fight Night 50". MMAjunkie.com.
- Staff (2014-10-02). "Ross Pearson vs. Al Iaquinta set for UFC Fight Night 55 in Sydney". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- Matt Erickson (7 November 2014). "UFC Fight Night 55 results: Al Iaquinta shuts down Ross Pearson in second". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- Ariel Helwani (2014-11-26). "Joe Lauzon vs. Al Iaquinta set for UFC 183". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-11-26.
- Elias Cepeda (2015-01-31). "Al Iaquinta batters Joe Lauzon for TKO win". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- Jason Floyd (2015-02-02). "Al Iaquinta vs. Jorge Masvidal booked for UFC Fight Night 63". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2015-02-02.
- "RECAP! Raging Al Wins Controversial Decision". MMAmania.com.
- "Al Iaquinta def. Jorge Masvidal :: UFC Fight Night 63 :: MMA Decisions". mmadecisions.com.
- Dave Doyle (2015-04-26). "Al Iaquinta vs. Bobby Green announced for UFC Fight Night in San Diego". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-04-26.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-06-17). "Gilbert Melendez in to face Al Iaquinta at UFC Fight Night 71". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-07-06). "Gilbert Melendez fails UFC 188 post-fight drug test, pulled from UFC Fight Night 71 card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-06.
- John Morgan (2015-07-06). "Iaquinta pulled from UFC Fight Night 71, Gamburyan vs. Jorgensen gets main card nod". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-06.
- Jonathan Bradley (2016-07-08). "Al Iaquinta vs. Thiago Alves in the works for UFC 205". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2016-07-15.
- Jesse Holland (2016-09-19). "UFC 205: Contract dispute forces Al Iaquinta from Thiago Alves fight on Nov. 12". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- Dale Jordan (2017-02-12). "UFC announces Nashville event for April 22nd. Four fights officially added to the card". mmamad.com. Retrieved 2017-02-12.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-04-23). "UFC Fight Night 108 results: Al Iaquinta destroys Diego Sanchez with combination of right hands". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- Brandon Folsom (2017-10-12). "UFC 218: No. 11 Al Iaquinta vs. Paul Felder added to LCA fight". freep.com. Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-10-31). "Al Iaquinta out, Charles Oliveira in against Paul Felder at UFC 218". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Staff (2018-01-14). "Take 2? Paul Felder vs. Al Iaquinta booked for UFC 223". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "UFC 223". ufc.com.
- "Al Iaquinta meets Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223 – but only Nurmagomedov can win title". MMAjunkie. 2018-04-06. Retrieved 2018-04-07.
- "UFC 223 results: Khabib Nurmagomedov dominates Al Iaquinta to become new lightweight champ". MMAjunkie. 2018-04-08. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Justin Gaethje vs. Al Iaquinta Official For UFC Lincoln • MMA News". MMA News. 2018-06-13. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "UFC announces James Vick as replacement for Al Iaquinta vs. Justin Gaethje in UFC Lincoln main event". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-06-28.
- "Video: Real estate agent delivers vicious KO in UFC". News.Com.Au.