Neena Gupta at Nishka Lulla and Masaba's designs preview at Oakwood Premier
4 July 1959 |
|Spouse(s)||Vivek Mehra (2008–present)|
|Partner(s)||Viv Richards (?–1989)|
Neena Gupta (born 4 July 1959) is an Indian film and television actress and director-producer. She won the 1994 National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for Woh Chokri. She is a popular actress in Indian commercial cinema, but it is her work with art filmmakers of India, like Shyam Benegal that got her recognition as an actress of considerable repute. She did a guest appearance in the TV Series; Shrimaan Shrimati. She also hosted the Indian version of the television quiz show The Weakest Link, Kamzor Kadii Kaun.
Early life and education
Gupta has made appearances in several international films, such as Gandhi (1982), in which she played the niece of Mahatma Gandhi, and the Merchant Ivory films The Deceivers (1988), Mirza Ghalib(1989) In Custody (1993), and Cotton Mary (1999).
She starred along with Madhuri Dixit in Khalnayak (1993); she was featured in the popular song "Choli ke peeche" in the movie. She has made the telefilms Lajwanti and Bazar Sitaram (1993), which won the 1993 National Film Award for Best First Non-Feature Film.
Her big break on television came with Khandaan (1985), Yatra (1986), Gulzar's Mirza Ghalib (1987), a TV miniseries, followed by Shyam Benegal's Bharat Ek Khoj (1988) and later Dard (1994 DD Metro), Gumraah (1995 DD Metro), Saans (Star Plus), Saat Phere (2005), Chitthi (2003), Meri Biwi Ka Jawab Nahin (2004), and Kitani Mohabbat Hai (2009). She also acted in one of the famous TV serial Buniyaad.
She has directed successful TV series, such as Saans (1999), Siski in (2000) and Kyun Hota Hai Pyarrr. She played the role of Shubha, one of the four women main leads in Ladies Special, a daily soap on Sony TV. She is now seen in Dil se Diya Vachan as Doctor by profession & mother-in-law of the lead character Nandani aired on Zee TV from Monday to Friday at 7pm.
She also ran a theater production company, 'Sahaj Productions' with actor, Rajendra Gupta, and acted and produced Hindi play Soorya Ki Antim Kiran Se Soorya Ki Paheli Kiran Tak.
She has also had some roles in Rishtey which was aired on Zee TV during 1999-2000.
She had a relationship with former West Indian cricketer Vivian Richards in the 1980s, from which she has a daughter, Masaba Gupta, a fashion designer. She was also involved in relationships with Alok Nath and Sharang Dev. On 15 July 2008, she married New Delhi-based Vivek Mehra, a chartered accountant and Partner with PwC India in a secret marriage in the United States.
- Yeh Nazdeekiyan (1982)
- Gandhi (1982)
- Saath Saath (1982 film) (1982)
- Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron (1983)
- Mandi (1983)
- Trikaal (1985)
- Khandaan (1985) TV series
- Drishti (1990)
- Utsav (1984)
- Yatra (1986) TV series
- Susman (1987)
- Bharat Ek Khoj (1988) TV series
- Rihaee (1988)
- The Deceivers (1988)
- Gul Gulshan Gulfaam (TV series) (1988)
- Daddy (1989) (TV film)
- Kaaranama (1990)
- Swarg (1990)
- Vasthuhara (1991) - Malayalam film
- Aadhi Mimansa(1991)
- Aham (1992) - Malayalam film
- Zulm Ki Hukumat (1992)
- Balwaan (1992)
- Khalnayak (1993)
- Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda (1993)
- Muhafiz (1993) (TV series)
- Veerta (1993)
- Woh Chokri (1994)
- Junoon (1994) (TV series)
- Nazar (1995)
- Jazbaat (1994)
- Cotton Mary (1999)
- Saans (TV series) (1999) (Actor & Director)
- Siski (TV series) (2000)
- Daane Anaar Ke (TV series) (2002)
- Kyun Hota Hai Pyarrr (TV series) (2004)
- Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin (2004)
- Saat Phere (TV Series) (2005)
- Kitani Mohabbat Hai (TV series) (2009)
- Teree Sang (2009)
- Ladies Special (TV Series) (2009)
- Veer (2010)
- Na Ghar Ke Na Ghaat Ke (2010)
- Chhevan Dariya (The Sixth River) (2010)
- Dil Se Diya Vachan (TV series) (2010–2011)
- National Film Award
- "नीना गुप्ता : सुर्खियों में रहा प्रेम प्रसंग" [Neena Gupta: I love life in the spotlight]. India.com (in Hindi). 4 July 2016. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Older actresses hardly have any role: Neena Gupta". News 18 (IANS). 29 July 2013. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
the 54-year-old Neena
- Bold and dutiful MALA KUMAR, The Hindu, 16 December 2005.
- Nisheeth Sharan’s "Grillopollis" hosts Sanawar’s reunion over its first preview dated 23 October 2010 at glamgold.com, accessed 11 March 2012
- Neena Gupta Interview with Vir Sanghvi on her relationships
- DNA newspaper
- Neena Gupta thrilled with marriage, but says "Masaba is priority" Sify.com, IANS, 29 July 2008.
- Neena Gupta opens up... TANVI TRIVEDI , TNN, The Times of India, 22 November 2008.
- "41st National Film Awards". International Film Festival of India. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "41st National Film Awards (PDF)" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 3 March 2012.