The Auris-en-Oisans Ski Station
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Yves Moiroux|
|11 km2 (4 sq mi)|
|• Density||17/km2 (44/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||720–2,164 m (2,362–7,100 ft) |
(avg. 1,240 m or 4,070 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Aurienchons or Aurienchonnes.
Auris is an alpine commune some 30 km south-east of Grenoble and 5 km west of Mont-de-Lans. Access to the commune is by the D211A road from La Garde in the west which passes through the commune by a tortuous route and continues east to Le Freney-d'Oisans. The D211E branches off the D211A in the commune to go to La Grand Combe. Apart from the village (which is solely the town hall) there is the hamlet of Les Cours to the north and Le Cert and Les Chatains to the south. The commune is rugged with alpine terrain and a large forest to the west of the village (La Forêt).
The Romanche river forms the southern border of the commune as it flows west to the Barrage du Clapier - an artificial lake on the southern border of the commune - then continues west then north to eventually join the Drac at Jarrie. The Venéon river flows from the south through the south-western extension of the commune to join the Romanche there.
Neighbouring communes and villages
The commune is sometimes informally called Auris-en-Oisans.
List of Successive Mayors
|2007||2014||Jean Luc Pellorce|
In 2017 the commune had 190 inhabitants.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE|
Culture and heritage
- A Roman bridge
- The Rural Museum
- The Chapel of the Angels (17th century). The Chapel contains several items that are registered as historical objects:
- The Chapel of Saint-Gerald (1497)
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- Inhabitants of Isère (in French)
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Auris, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM38000010 2 Candlesticks on the main Altar (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM38000009 Hand Bell (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM38000008 Altar and Retable (in French)
- Auris on Lion1906
- Auris on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Auris en Oysans on the 1750 Cassini Map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Auris.|