|• Mayor (2020–2026)||David Queiros|
|9.26 km2 (3.58 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,100/km2 (11,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||206–610 m (676–2,001 ft) |
(avg. 234 m or 768 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Saint-Martin-d'Hères (French pronunciation: [sɛ̃ maʁtɛ̃ dɛʁ]; Arpitan: Sant-Martin-d’Èra) is a commune in the Isère department in southeastern France. Part of the Grenoble urban unit (agglomeration), it is the largest suburb of the city of Grenoble and is adjacent to it on the east.
The commune was created around 1100 where the church of St. Martin was located. During the middle ages it was administered at some points by the lords of the Castle of Gières, and at other times by the bishop of Grenoble, who had religious and seigniorial disputes with the former. The city remained a mostly rural area, until the 19th century, when it saw its first industrial developments with the opening of roads and railways. In the 1950s and the 1960s the city saw a "new era" with a significant demographic expansion caused by the installation of the University of Grenoble.
The city is limited at the north by the Isère. It is located in an area historically prone to flooding by it and by the Mogne and Sonnant streams, though the floods stopped since the construction of dykes and the channelization of the Mogne and Sonnant streams.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
Saint-Martin-d'Hères is the home of the Université Grenoble Alpes main campus "Domaine Universitaire de Grenoble", a center of higher education in the region. The university features the Centre universitaire d'études françaises (CUEF). The CUEF offers second language instruction in French, and attracts students from a variety of foreign countries. Several universities in the United States sponsor study-abroad programs affiliated with the CUEF.
- Cristobal Huet - Goalie for the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL
- Tristan Vautier - racing driver
- Suzanne Balguerie - French soprano died in Saint-Martin-d'Hères on 17 February 1973.
- Aurélien Panis - racing driver
- Olivier Véran - politician
- Yoann Bonato - rally driver
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2020". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2022.
- INSEE commune file
- Unité urbaine 2020 de Grenoble (38701), INSEE
- "Notre Histoire" [Our history] (in French). 6 October 2015. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Histoire des communes de l'Isère: Grenoble et son arrondissement (in French). Vol. 4. Grenoble: Horvath. 1987. p. 164. ISBN 2-7171-0492-5.
- "Les Origines" [The origins] (in French). Archived from the original on 22 March 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Saint-Martin-d'Hères, EHESS (in French).
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE