A Baja jacket (also known as a "Mexican Threads Hoodie", Baja hoodie, Baja sweatshirt, or drug rug) is a type of jacket with a single large pocket on the front, and vents on the side. They are often decorated with patterns consisting of horizontal stripes on the sleeves and hood, and vertical stripes down the rest of the jacket. The drawstrings are often flatter and more rectangular than most jacket drawstrings, and always made of the same material as the rest of the jacket. The jackets are often associated with the cannabis and surf cultures.
They are known primarily as a "baja hoodie" or "drug rug" because of the subculture in which they are popular. The largest size made is a 3XL and there are also small ones for kids.
In the 1930s, California surfers brought these hooded shirts back from surf trips to Baja California, Mexico. They became associated with surfers and surfing in mexican coastal towns, and worn as beachwear in cool weather. The shirts, called "sudadera de jerga" in Mexico, are also traditionally worn by Mexican-American and Mexican youth, especially young men, and can be considered a part of cholo style.
Baja jackets are made with a variety of different materials: often cotton, acrylic, and polyester. The fabric can be made from recycled fibers, such as recycled T-shirts. The jackets tend to be somewhat waterproof and fast-drying, making them more suitable for the elements. Some jackets have a soft lining for extra comfort and warmth.
In recent years, they have been adapted to simply become hoodies with some alterations like a zipper running up the middle. Because the striped pattern resembles a Mexican serape, the Baja jacket is sometimes referred to as a poncho, but the two should not be confused. A poncho is a single piece of fabric with a head opening and sometimes arm openings. However, a poncho does not have sleeves, whereas the Baja jacket does have sleeves.
- "Baja Hoodies at Mexicali Blues". Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Vintage Surfer Baja Hoodies". Lonely Sherpa. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Baja Hoodies". MexicanBlankets.com. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Caminando: septiembre 2010". Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "El Libro Vakero: Diccionario Buena Onda VII: Adolescente". Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Lo has visto?, retrieved 2013-10-18
- "Sudadera De Jerga Original Señor Lopez Talla L Skate/bmx Daa (Otras Marcas) a MXN 699 en PrecioLandia México (6u7l6b)". Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Mexican Baja Hoodie". Baja Hoodie. Retrieved 2014-04-27.