Location of Calverton, Maryland
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||4.6 sq mi (12.0 km2)|
|• Land||4.6 sq mi (11.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||276 ft (84 m)|
|• Density||3,800/sq mi (1,500/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0597167|
Calverton is an unincorporated area and census-designated place located on the boundary between Montgomery and Prince George's counties, Maryland, in the United States. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 17,724.
As an unincorporated area, Calverton's boundaries are not officially defined. Calverton is, however, recognized by the United States Census Bureau as a census-designated place, and by the United States Geological Survey as a populated place located at (39.057009, -76.944805) and is part of the Baltimore/Washington area. According to the United States Census Bureau, Calverton has a total area of 4.6 square miles (12.0 km2), of which 0.02 square miles (0.05 km2), or 0.44%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,610 people, 4,543 households, and 3,230 families residing in the area. The population density was 2,673.1 people per square mile (1,031.5/km²). There were 4,661 housing units at an average density of 988.1/sq mi (381.3/km²). The racial makeup of the area was 43.09% White, 34.06% African American, 0.14% Native American, 16.52% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 2.61% from other races, and 3.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.37% of the population.
There were 4,543 households out of which 35.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.4% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.9% were non-families. 23.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.24.
In the area, the population was spread out with 25.0% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 33.0% from 25 to 44, 24.0% from 45 to 64, and 10.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 91.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.0 males.
The median income for a household in the area was $63,990, and the median income for a family was $72,958. Males had a median income of $44,425 versus $39,563 for females. The per capita income for the area was $28,107. About 2.5% of families and 4.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.7% of those under age 18 and 2.5% of those age 65 or over.
Primary and secondary schools
Children living on the Montgomery County side of Calverton attend public schools in the Montgomery County Public Schools system. They generally attend:
- Galway Elementary School on Galway Drive
- Briggs Chaney Middle School on Rainbow Drive
- Paint Branch High School  on Old Columbia Pike
Children living on the Prince George's County side of Calverton attend public schools in the Prince George's County Public Schools system. They generally attend:
- Calverton Elementary School on Beltsville Road
- Martin Luther King Middle School on Amendale Road
- High Point High School  on Powder Mill Road
In popular culture
Calverton is mentioned in the movie Timecop
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Calverton, Maryland
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Calverton CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Calverton CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.