Parts of this article (those related to demographics) need to be updated.(March 2018)
Location of Calverton, Maryland
|• Total||4.6 sq mi (12.0 km2)|
|• Land||4.6 sq mi (11.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||276 ft (84 m)|
|• Density||3,800/sq mi (1,500/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0597167|
Calverton is an unincorporated area and census-designated place located on the boundary between Montgomery and Prince George's counties, Maryland, in the United States. At the 2010 census, it had a population of 17,724.
As an unincorporated area, Calverton's boundaries are not officially defined. Calverton is, however, recognized by the United States Census Bureau as a census-designated place, and by the United States Geological Survey as a populated place located at (39.057009, -76.944805) and is part of the Baltimore/Washington area.
At the 2000 census, there were 12,610 people, 4,543 households and 3,230 families residing in the area. The population density was 2,673.1 per square mile (1,031.5/km²). There were 4,661 housing units at an average density of 988.1/sq mi (381.3/km²). The racial makeup of the area was 43.09% White, 34.06% African American, 0.14% Native American, 16.52% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 2.61% from other races, and 3.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.37% of the population.
There were 4,543 households of which 35.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.4% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.9% were non-families. 23.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.24.
25.0% of the population were under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 33.0% from 25 to 44, 24.0% from 45 to 64, and 10.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.0 males.
The median household income was $63,990 and the median family income was $72,958. Males had a median income of $44,425 and females $39,563. The per capita income was $28,107. About 2.5% of families and 4.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.7% of those under age 18 and 2.5% of those age 65 or over.
Primary and secondary schools
- Galway Elementary School on Galway Drive in Calverton CDP.
- Briggs Chaney Middle School on Rainbow Drive in Cloverly CDP
- Paint Branch High School on Old Columbia Pike in Fairland CDP
- Calverton Elementary School on Beltsville Road in Calverton CDP
- Martin Luther King Middle School on Amendale Road in Beltsville CDP.
- High Point High School on Powder Mill Road in Beltsville CDP.
In popular culture
Calverton is mentioned in the movie Timecop.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Calverton, Maryland.|
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Calverton, Maryland
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Calverton CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Calverton CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Calverton CDP, MD." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 31, 2018.
- Home. Galway Elementary School. Retrieved on January 31, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2017-2018." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on January 31, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD MIDDLE SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2017-2018." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on January 31, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD HIGH SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2017-2018." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on January 31, 2018.