This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|DinoZone / DinoZaurs|
Logo for the English version
|ダイノゾーン / ダイノゾーズ|
(Dainozōn / Dainozōzu)
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Tetsuro Amino|
|Produced by||Eiji Shiori|
|Written by||Tetsuro Amino|
|Music by||Shiro Hamaguchi|
|Released||November 27, 1998 – January 2000|
|Anime television series|
|DinoZaurs: The Series|
|Directed by||Kiyoshi Fukumoto|
|Produced by||Eiji Dojita, Kikiyo Nozaki|
|Written by||Yasuko Kobayashi|
|Music by||Shiro Hamaguchi, Akifumi Tada, Ron Kenan, Shuki Levy, Kusa March|
|Original network||Fuji TV (Limited Broadcast)|
|Original run||July 28, 2000 – November 30, 2000|
DinoZone (ダイノゾーン Dainozōn) (also known as Dinozaurs (ダイノゾーズ Dainozōzu)) is a Japanese toyline created by toy company Bandai in 1998. Alongside the toys, two media adaptations were created by Sunrise: a 5-episode 3D CGI OVA series that ran from November 27, 1998 to January 2000:44-45 and a 26-episode animated television series that aired on Fox Kids from July 28, 2000 to November 30, 2000.
Dinozone was created by Bandai in cooperation with anime studio Sunrise. The toys were presented as clear dinosaur-like robots that can change form into a robot mode called Progress Mode, with the main gimmick of the toys having clear colored plastic alongside die cast metal parts, to represent a reconstructed fossilized dinosaur. Each toy has an individual weapon as its accessory, though certain toys in the toyline can act as weapons to be equipped such as Dino Pachy or Dino Arch.:44-45
The OVA series was released by Sunrise as a pack-in to the toys in the toyline. Four episodes were released as the fifth and final episode was an exclusive for Televi Magazine and Comic Bom Bom subscribers. In 2000, Bandai partnered with Saban Entertainment to bring the series to America, changing the name to Dinozaurs, and Sunrise produced an animated series to promote the toys alongside new character designs that were not present in the original Dinozone toyline.:52
65,000,000 years ago, aliens known as the Dragozaurs came from space to Earth in order to absorb the planet's life force. The planet responded by converting a select number of prehistoric animals, including dinosaurs, into the Dino Knights in order to defend it. The Dragozaurs resurface in the present day to collect the planet's life force, and the Dino Knights re-awaken from their long slumber in order to stop them.
When the Dragozaurs first attack Earth, the planet converts a select number of prehistoric animals into the Dino Knights (ダイノソルジャー Dinosoldiers) in order to fight them. Normally fossilized, a Dino Knight assumes a more metallic form when re-animated. The command to power up the Dino Knights with the Dino Daggers is "Dino Power, Energize!". The Dino Knights' fossil forms reside in the Dinotarium. The Dino Knights are:
- Dino Tyranno (ダイノティラノ Daino Tirano)
- Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa (Japanese); Kim Strauss (English)
- Dino Tyranno is the leader of the Dino Knights. He wields the Silver Sword. He has a rivalry with Gigano Dragon since prehistoric times. He is knocked into an erupting volcano by Dark Dragon, but becomes an Ultimate Dino Knight when Dino Rhamph's energy boost revitalizes him and grants him the Mega Blade Broad Sword, with which he uses the "Fire Flame Strike" attack. His dinosaur form is a Tyrannosaurus.
- Dino Brachio (ダイノブラキオ Daino Burakio)
- Voiced by: Tesshō Genda (Japanese); Tom Wyner (English)
- Second-in-command, Dino Brachio serves as Tyranno's advisor and is the biggest, oldest, and wisest of the Dino Knights. Brachio would prefer to settling the Dragozaur problem peacefully. Wields the Axe of Valor. His dinosaur form is a Brachiosaurus.
- Dino Tricera (ダイノトリケラ Daino Torikera)
- Voiced by: Shō Hayami (Japanese); Joey Camen (English)
- Dino Tricera wields the Tricera Spears of Jade. He becomes an Ultimate Dino Knight when Dino Rhamph's energy boost revitalizes him and grants him the Triple-Threat Halberd, with which he uses the "Lightning Bolt Strike" attack. Like Stego, his favorite pastime is fighting the Dragozaurs. His dinosaur form is a Triceratops.
- Dino Stego (ダイノステゴ Daino Sutego)
- Voiced by: Hōchū Ōtsuka (Japanese); Peter Lurie (English)
- Dino Stego is the tough guy"of the Dino Knights. Likes nothing better than fighting the Dragozaurs. His weapon is the Stego Skeletal Revolution where his chest rotates, spinning any enemy around and around. His dinosaur form is a Stegosaurus. It was revealed that he had a girlfriend named Daisy where part of her fossil is in the possession of Dr. Gale.
- Dino Sabre (ダイノサーベル Daino Sāberu)
- Voiced by: Kenji Nojima (Japanese); Doug Erholtz (English)
- Dino Sabre is one of the youngest of the Dino Knights and doesn't mind having fun with the Dragozaurs as well. He wields the Saber Wailing Whip. His prehistoric mammal form is a Smilodon.
- Dino Ptera (ダイノプテラ Daino Putera)
- Voiced by: Hideo Ishikawa (Japanese); Lenore Zann (most episodes), Philece Sampler (in "For the Earth") (English)
- One of the few female Dino Knights, Dino Ptera serves as aerial recon for the Dino Knights and is often the one who fights Drago Wing in aerial battles. She attacks with the Ptera Bristle Boomerang. Her pterosaur form is a Pteranodon.
- Dino Mammoth (ダイノマンモス Daino Manmosu)
- Voiced by: Hiroomi Sugino (Japanese); Beau Billingslea (English)
- A very sane and competent member of the Dino Knights, Dino Mammoth wields the Mammoth Tusks of Vigor. His prehistoric mammal form is a Mammoth.
The Cerazaur Brothers are three Dino Knights that were found by Rick. By the command "Triblade fusion! Integrate!", they can combine to form Dino Triblades (大剣者トリブレードス Daikensha Toriburēdos, Great Swordsman Triblades) who wields the Triple Fossil Star Sword and is the largest of the Dino Knights.
- Dino Centro (ダイノセントロス Daino Sentorosu, Dino Centros)
- Voiced by: Kōsuke Toriumi (Japanese); Wally Wingert (English)
- Dino Centro is a Centrosaurus and wields the Fossil Sun Sword. He forms one of the arms of Dino Triblades.
- Dino Toro (ダイノカスモス Daino Kasumosu, Dino Chasmos)
- Voiced by: Katsuya Shiga (Japanese); Daran Norris (English)
- Dino Toro is a Torosaurus and wields the Fossil Moon Sword. He forms one of the arms of Dino Triblades. In the Japanese version, Dino Toro was a Chasmosaurus.
- Dino Styraco (ダイノステラス Daino Suterasu, Dino Styras)
- Voiced by: Yasunori Matsumoto (Japanese); Richard Epcar (English)
- Dino Styraco is a Styracosaurus and is Centro and Toro's older brother. Styraco wields the Styraco Sword of Stealth. He forms the head, main torso, and legs of Dino Triblades.
The Dino Weapons (ウェポンザウルス・ダイノアームズ Weponsaurusu Daino Āmusu, Weaponsaurus DinoArms) are Dino Knights that can become weapons outside of their dinosaur and warrior forms and can attach to any Dino Knight. They are found on an island and were nearly abducted by Gomez. Once Dino Tyranno and Dino Brachio get the three to regain their memories, they help Dino Tyranno and Dino Brachio fend off the Drago Clones and the Dragozaurs.
- Dino Pachy (ソードサウルス Sōdosaurusu, Swordsaurus)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Ishikawa (Japanese); Wally Wingert (English)
- Dino Pachy's dinosaur form is a Pachycephalosaurus and his Dino Weapon mode is the Pachy Spike Sword. His sword form is first used by Tyranno and later by Brachio after Dino Tyranno's upgrade. He is the only one trapped by Gomez, but is freed when he regains his memory and his transformation to warrior form breaks the cage he is in.
- Dino Kenty (ドリルサウルス Dorirusaurusu, Drillsaurus)
- Voiced by: Nobuyuki Tanaka (Japanese); James Arnold Taylor (English)
- Dino Kenty's dinosaur form is a Kentrosaurus and his Dino Weapon mode is the Kenty Skeletal Drill. His drill form is first used by Dino Brachio and later by Dino Stego.
- Dino Arch (シールドサウルス Shīrudosaurusu, Shieldsaurus)
- Voiced by: Takehiro Murozono
- Dino Arch's dinosaur form is an Archelon and his Dino Weapon mode is the Arch Bone Shield. His shield form is first used by Dino Tyranno and later by Dino Brachio and Dino Icthyo after Dino Tyranno's upgrade. Dino Arch later falls in love with Dino Icthyo.
- Dino Icthyo (ダイノイクチオ Daino Ikuchio)
- Voiced by: Miki Yoshino (Japanese); Wendee Lee (English)
- Also called "Theo", Dino Icthyo is another female Dino Knight and is the last to be discovered. Her prehistoric animal form is a Ichthyosaurus. Dino Ichthyo wields the Trident of the Tides and uses a bubble-themed attack on her enemies which she calls "Bubble Blast" and can also do a "Flipper Storm". Her legs can fold into a flipper to enable her to fight underwater. Dino Icthyo becomes the love interest of Dino Arch. Her fossil was worshiped by the people of Atlantis.
- Dino Rhamph (レーザーリンクス Rēzā Rinkusu, Razor Lynx)
- A legendary Dino Knight known as the Phoenix in some cultures, Dino Rhamph is the most powerful Dino Knight but doesn't talk much. He cannot be destroyed and is a creature who rises to protect the Earth in her hour of need. According to Dino Brachio, Dino Rhamph can exert control over life force itself. At one point, Diamond Ryugu harnessed his power for a weapon. His pterosaur form is a Rhamphorhynchus.
The Dragozaurs (デスイーター Desu Ītā, Death Eaters) are an alien race who are the antagonists of the series. They feed off of a planet's life force, causing the planet to be lifeless and in ruins. The Dragozaurs are:
- Diamond Ryugu (ダイモンリューグ Daimon Ryūgu)
- Voiced by: Ikuya Sawaki (Japanese); Catherine Battistone (English)
- Diamond Ryugu is the leader of the Dragozaurs. Only her eyes are seen and her voice heard, usually leaving Drago Wing, Gigano Dragon, and Dark Dragon to do her bidding. Her dinosaur form is an Ankylosaurus. Diamond Ryugu devours the life force of planets to become stronger. After being defeated by Dino Tyranno, she is shrunken down and taken away by Drago Wing in return for not harming Earth.
- Gigano Dragon (ギガノドラゴン Gigano Doragon, 2-12, 23-26)
- Voiced by: Tomomichi Nishimura (Japanese); Bob Papenbrook (English)
- Gigano Dragon is Dino Tyranno's rival. His animal form is a Chinese dragon and he is a vicious fighter who is indifferent to Diamond Ryugu's plans and would rather focus on getting his revenge against Tyranno, which leads to his death. Gigano Dragon is then resurrected by Dark Dragon from a Chinese dragon fossil with a power link up with Drago Wing. He is destroyed during his last duel with Tyranno when both rivals clash their swords for the last time. Upon his death, Gigano Dragon parts on good terms with Tyranno as Gigano Dragon silently acknowledges Tyranno's victory in his last moments.
- Drago Wing (ナイトウイング Naito Uingu, Night Wing)
- Voiced by: Masato Hirano (Japanese); Steven Blum (English)
- Field commander to the Dragozaur Armies, Drago Wing can drain any opponent of their life force. His animal form is a prehistoric bat. Sneaky and underhanded, Drago Wing tends to be insulted by both Gigano Dragon and Dark Dragon. He survives the end of series and escorts a tiny Diamond Ryugu away from Earth.
- Dark Dragon (14-24)
- Voiced by: Daran Norris
- A Dragozaur wizard who once betrayed the Dragozaurs. Dark Dragon is an old enemy of the Dino Knights. His normal form is a humanoid one. When fighting, Dark Dragon transforms into a European dragon with a blade on it's right wrist. He also has the ability to manipulate and produce bats, as well as other powers. Dark Dragon is very intelligent and relies on subtle manipulation for his plans. Though he's extremely powerful, the only villain surpassing Dark Dragon is Diamond Ryugu herself. Destroyed by Dino Tyranno near the finale.
- Dragozaur Army Forces
- Voiced by: Michael Sorich, David Lodge
- The Dragozaur Army Forces are foot soldiers modeled after the forms of Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, and Pteranodon and cannot transform into warrior forms. Dark Dragon also calls forth bats from thin air to form his version of the Dragozaur Army Forces. Every one of them is destroyed along with Drago Tigra when the room they were in is blown up.
Created by Diamond Ryugu using the power of the Dark Crystal, the Drago Clones (シャドーウォリアー Shadō Woriā, Shadow Warriors) are clones of the Dino Knights. The Drago Clones are:
- Drago Tyran (シャドーティラノ Shadō Tirano, Shadow Tyranno)
- Voiced by: Kōji Ishii (Japanese); Richard Epcar (English)
- The Dragozaur version of Dino Tyranno and leader of the Drago Clones. Armed with the Slasher Sword. Accidentally destroyed by Drago Ceratops.
- Drago Ceratops (シャドートリケラ Shadō Torikera, Shadow Tricera)
- Voiced by: David Lodge
- The Dragozaur version of Dino Tricera. Takes command after the death of Drago Tyran. He dies when his head is shredded by the Stego Skeletal Revolution.
- Drago Brachio (シャドーブラキオ Shadō Burakio, Shadow Brachio)
- Voiced by: Kazuhiko Nishimatsu (Japanese); Tom Wyner (English)
- The Dragozaur version of Dino Brachio. Armed with the Axe of Venom. Destroyed when Dino Brachio used Dino Kenty's Skeletal Drill to impale him.
- Drago Stegus (シャドーステゴ Shadō Sutego, Shadow Stego)
- Voiced by: Kerrigan Mahan
- The Dragozaur version of Dino Stego. He is killed in a fight with Dino Stego.
- Drago Dactyl (シャドープテラ Shadō Putera, Shadow Ptera)
- Voiced by: Ikuya Sawaki (Japanese); Philece Sampler (English)
- The Dragozaur version of Dino Ptera. She is beheaded by Dino Sabre's Saber Wailing Whip.
- Drago Tigra (シャドーサーベル Shadō Sāberu, Shadow Saber)
- The Dragozaur version of Dino Sabre, armed with the Wicked Whip. He is destroyed when the room he is in explodes and he tries to get out.
- Drago Elephas (シャドーマンモス Shadō Manmosu, Shadow Mammoth)
- The Dragozaur version of Dino Mammoth. Crushed when a skeleton falls on him.
- Supersaurus (スパザウルス Supazaurusu)
- A complete skeleton discovered in Colorado that is delivered to the Dinotarium. Dark Dragon uses his powers on Supersaurus to create havoc in the city streets. Dark Dragon gives the Supersaurus skeleton the ability to absorb the Dino Knights' life force and turn them back into fossils, which forces the Dino Knights to find a way to stop the Supersaurus skeleton without touching it. Dr. Naomi Abram was the one who found that one of its neck bones was not like the other neck bones.
- Kaito Tatsuno (竜野 海斗 Tatsuno Kaito)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Aida (Japanese); Jason Spisak (English)
- A teenager who is less interested in actual dinosaurs even when his father helps to design the Dinoterium, a place that is a tribute to dinosaurs. When he stumbles upon the Dragozaurs stealing local life force, his cry for the sake of life reawakens the Dino Knights and since then, he has been their ally. He possesses one of three Dino Daggers that can restore a Dino Knight's strength.
- Voiced by: Philece Sampler
- Rena is Kaito's friend since kindergarten. She shares Kaito's secret about the Dino Knights. She possesses the second Dino Dagger. She can't swim and has a fear of scorpions, spiders, and ghosts.
- Voiced by: Michael Lindsay
- Rick is a cowboy from the west who is good with a lasso and travels on a horse named Lightning. Since the death of his parents, he protects the two fossils that turn out to be two of the three Cerazaur Brothers while living with his grandfather. Only his Dino Dagger can restore their strength. Throughout the series, he becomes close to the Cerazaur brothers, even being accepted as their "fourth brother". When he is trapped by Dark Dragon and the Drago Clones in the Ninja Castle, Styraco gives up his life force to save Rick, but Rick and the other Cerazaur brothers save Styraco. After being saved, the Cerazaur Brothers give Rick a scroll stating that he truly understands the concept of Bushido.
- Voiced by: Doug Erholtz
- A bully that bothers Kaito on different occasions. Despite that, he is a coward when it comes to different occasions like when Rena mentioned he was afraid to arm-wrestle her. He tries to prove the existence of revived dinosaurs.
- Dr. Naomi Abram (木村 ナオミ Kimura Naomi, Naomi Kimura)
- Voiced by: Miyuki Matsushita
- The tour guide at the Dinotarium. Whenever she sees that the Dino Knights are missing and she get someone to look and the Dino Knights are back she is told to need a vacation which she herself sometimes also believes. Naomi gets along great with Kaito and Rena as they often come to visit the Dinotorium. She is the one who figures out that Supersaurus is being controlled by Dark Dragon by climbing up on its neck while asleep and realizing that one of the neck bones is not like the others. However, she faints at the sight of Dino Tyranno. Naomi is told she was dreaming when she wakes up.
- Dr. Abbott
- Voiced by: Beau Billingslea
- The manager of the Dinotarium. He is constantly telling Naomi that she is imagining things throughout the series and that "she needs a vacation."
- Professor Takuda
- A scientist at the Dinotarium.
- Ronnie Tatsuno
- Voiced by: Wendee Lee
- Kaito's little brother.
- Voiced by: Wendee Lee
- Dr. Gale
- An archaeologist who possesses a Stegosaurus fossil that is a part of Dino Stego's old girlfriend Daisy. He later returns where he excavates the Chinese dragon fossil until it is stolen from him by Gomez.
- A greedy fossil hunter who tries to collect the Dino Weapons. He and his henchmen are scared away when the Drago Clones invade the island they are on. Gomez later returns and tries to steal Gigano Dragon's fossil from Dr. Gale only to be thwarted by Dark Dragon.
- Princess Helen
- Voiced by: Peggy O'Neal
- Helen is the princess of Atlantis and the daughter of its king. She helps Kaito and Rena retrieve Kaito's Dino Dagger as Kaito and Rena are the "Chosen Ones" she was having visions about. When the Dragozaurs attack Atlantis, Helen convinces her father to let Kaito reclaim his Dino Dagger so that he can reawaken Dino Icthyo. After the Dragozaurs are repelled, Helen and her father disappear into the afterlife alongside the other Atlanteans and implore Kaito, Rena, and the Dino Knights to protect Earth at all cost.
The original toyline spawned a five episode OVA series, the first four which were released on VHS alongside the initial release of the toys, while the final fifth OVA was given only to subscribers of Televi Magazine and Comic Bom Bom. It was directed and written by Tetsuro Amino.
An anime series based on the American version of the toyline, titled DinoZaurs: The Series, was produced by Sunrise, OLM Digital and Saban Entertainment. It aired on North America in both Fox Kids in the US and YTV in Canada from July 7, 2000 to December 2000. It was directed by Kiyoshi Fukumoto and written by Yasuko Kobayashi while the music was composed by Shirou Hamaguchi, Akifumi Tada, Ron Kenan, Shuki Levy, and Kusa March.
The rights to the English-dubbed version of DinoZaurs: The Series were formerly licensed by Saban Entertainment in North America in 2000.
It is now owned by Disney Enterprises through BVS Entertainment, Buena Vista International Television and Jetix, since Disney bought the Fox Family/Fox Kids Worldwide franchise in 2001, which included 100% of Fox Family Channel and Fox Kids Latin America, also the 75.7% majority stake in Fox Kids Europe N.V. and the children’s programming libraries of Fox Kids/Fox Children’s Productions and Saban Entertainment. However, there were no plans to release the English Dub version of Dinozaurs on Region 1 DVD.