Disney Channel (Russia)
|Launched||10 August 2010 (pay television)|
31 December 2011 (free-to-air network)
|Owned by||UTH Russia (80%)|
The Walt Disney Company CIS (20%)
|Picture format||576i (4:3 SDTV)|
|Formerly called||Jetix (10 August 2010)|
Seven TV (31 December 2011)
Disney Channel is a Russian free-to-air television channel which was launched on 10 August 2010 on pay television, replacing kids channel Jetix, and was later launched as a free-to-air network, replacing Seven TV on 31 December 2011.
While Disney previously planned to launch Disney Channel Russia as an over-the-air service in 2009, their deal with a Russian media company was rejected by Russian authorities. Disney Channel is available as a cable and satellite channel, and is made available via the regular operators (such as NTV Plus). A registration request was filed in 2010 with the Russian media authority Roscomnadzor. On March 9, 2010 the Russian TV authority granted Walt Disney Company CIS a cable television broadcasting license (#15922). Later it was announced that the change would happen on August 10, 2010.
Disney Channel Russia replaced Jetix Russia, making it the last Jetix-branded channel in the world to close. The change occurred on August 10 as planned at 12 local time. The last Jetix program was an episode of Kid vs. Kat while the first program on Disney Channel was the premiere of the movie Finding Nemo, following a 5 1/2 minute introduction package. Unlike many other Disney Channels in Europe, which broadcast a single video feed with several language tracks, this version is custom-made for Russia. is known on screen by its Russian title (from Channel One Russia). Other titles and logos are translated and adapted as well.
- http://www.rbcdaily.ru/2010/03/16/media/464670 "Книга мастеров" пошла по миру ([The film] The Book of Masters goes around the world) (in Russian)
In the interview, Walt Disney Company CIS director Marina Zhigalova-Ozkan says:
We decided to give up our plans to enter the over-the-air TV segment. Currently all our efforts are centered on the development of our Jetix channel. Apart from that, we recently filed documents with Roscomnadzor for the registration of the Disney Channel. Now the document review period has been extended to six months.
- "Disney going to start". ComNews.
- "Russian viewers will be able to watch Disney channel programs of August". Lenizdat.Ru.
- "One of Disney will be more". Izvestiya.Ru. Archived from the original on 2012-08-02.
- "The new Disney Channel will appear on the cable and satellite TV in Russia". RIA Novosti.
- Smith, Ethan; White, Greg (October 28, 2011). "Disney to Launch Russia Channel". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 27, 2014.