Drop It Low (Ester Dean song)
|"Drop It Low"|
|Single by Ester Dean featuring Chris Brown|
|from the album Music Inspired by More Than a Game|
|Released||August 9, 2009|
|Genre||Hip hop, pop, R&B|
|Length||3:14 (main version)
|Writer(s)||Ester Dean, Rickey Deleon, Chris Brown, Dee1 Dwayne Carter (remix), Tremaine Neverson (remix)|
|Producer(s)||Polow da Don|
|Ester Dean singles chronology|
"Drop It Low" is a buzz single by American singer songwriter Ester Dean. The official version features vocals from R&B singer Chris Brown. This is also released as the second single from the soundtrack for the film More Than a Game (2009). The original version of the song did not have Chris Brown featured. This version maintains the same lyrics on the second verse but coming from a man's perspective. The official remix features Lil Wayne, Trey Songz and Diddy. Polow da Don later stated that the song was originally meant for Ciara, but when the singer passed on it, it was eventually given to Ester Dean.
It was highlighted by Allmusic's Jason Thurson.
The remix originally started when Lil Wayne recorded his verse for the record, replacing Ester's original verse. A clean and explicit version were released of it. Later, Trey Songz released a new remix of the song, adding a new intro, keeping Wayne's verse, adding a new verse by himself, and a new verse from Chris Brown. After that, the official remix was released with Diddy talking throughout the track, replacing Trey Songz on the intro, and with a slight change in beat during Chris Brown's verse.
- "Drop It Low" (Main Version) / (Explicit Version) - 3:14
- "Drop It Low" (Remix) (feat. Diddy, Lil Wayne, Trey Songz & Chris Brown) - 4:58
The music video was shot in August 2009, by the director Joseph Kahn who has worked with Brown previously on the "Forever" music video. It premiered on music video channels MTV, BET, and Fuse during the week of September 15, 2009. The video features both Dean and Brown, as well as some cameo appearances by Nelly, Keri Hilson, Teyana Taylor, Polow da Don, Omarion, Audio Push, Twerk Team, Soulja Boy, Rich Boy, Barry "Mijo" Bradford.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015)|
Once "Drop It Low" became available for airplay on US rhythm/crossover radio on August 18, 2009, and mainstream radio on August 25, 2009, the song started gaining more airplay on the three main formats. By the week ending of August 28, 2009, the song debuted at number 88 on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs based only on airplay. By the next week, it debuted at number 94 on the Billboard Hot 100. "Drop It Low" peaked at number 46, helped by its digital sales.
|US Billboard Hot 100||46|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||38|
|US Pop Songs (Billboard)||35|
"Drop It Low" appears on The Bling Ring: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (2013).
- Ester Dean confirmed her first single Ester Dean's Twitter. Accessed September 15, 2009.
- Britney Spears wanted "Drop it Low"
- Dean, Ester. "Drop It Low Remix 1". ThisIsRnB. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Dean, Ester. "Drop It Low Remix 2". ThisIsRnB. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Dean, Ester. "Drop It Low Official Remix". ThisIsRnB. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Available For Airplay FMQB. Accessed April 22, 2011.
- "Ester Dean - The Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Ester Dean - Chart History: Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Ester Dean - Chart History: Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- YouTube - Ester Dean featuring Chris Brown "Drop It Low" Official Video
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics