Dublin Scioto High School
|Dublin Scioto High School|
Dublin Scioto High School
4000 Hard Road
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Dublin City Schools|
|Superintendent||Todd F. Hoadley |
|Color(s)||Green, Silver and White |
|Fight song||Dublin Scioto Fight Song|
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
|Team name||Fighting Irish|
|Rivals||Worthington Kilbourne High School, Dublin Jerome High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Nick Magistrale|
|Director of Bands||Jim Gray|
Dublin Scioto High School is a public high school located in Dublin, Ohio, a suburb northwest of Columbus, Ohio. Dublin Scioto High School was constructed in 1995 at 4000 Hard Road between Sawmill Road and Riverside Drive.
Scioto has 110 certificated staff. Of these, 92 have earned master's degrees, and 4 hold a Ph.D. The administration includes Principal Bob Scott, Assistant Principals Kip Witchey, Mike Wayt, and Julie Blevins, Athletic Director Nick Magistrale, and Guidance Counselors Ms. Allison Sampson, Mr. Aaron Rowe, Mr. Patrick Elias, and Ms. Jackie Sprunger.
Junior State of America
Founded in September 2007, Dublin Scioto's Junior State of America club has become a vibrant part of the Scioto community. From 2007 to 2014, the Junior State of America chapter attended dozens of JSA conventions in Cincinnati, Washington, D.C., and downtown Columbus. During this same time period, three Dublin Scioto students won gubernatorial races in the Ohio River Valley Junior State. Liz Litteral and D. Winston Underwood Jr. were elected by their peers to serve as governor from 2009 to 2010 and 2013 to 2014, respectively. Tim Kocher was elected lieutenant governor for the 2012-2013 term. D. Winston Underwood Jr. also served as mayor of the Central Ohio District from 2012 to 2013.
Dublin Scioto has consistently wielded a strong Quiz Team  that competes mainly in the In The Know tournament produced by WOSU and supported by Westfield Insurance. In recent years, Dublin Scioto has advanced far under the leadership of Advisor Tim Hayes. Under captain Laszlo Seress, the 2009-2010 team advanced to the semifinals. The following year under the leadership of Senior Captains Meredith Haddix and Suhas Gudhe, in addition to Senior Alex Filice and Freshman Arjun Venkataraman, the team advanced to the In The Know finals. Along the way, the team upset strong programs such as Olentangy Liberty High School, Bishop Watterson High School, and cross town rivals Dublin Coffman. The 2011-2012 In The Know team, known as the Redeem Team, featured sophomore captain Arjun Venkataraman, senior president Ben Albert, senior Nick Gorelov. After defeatingWheelersburg High School and Grandview Heights High School in the first two rounds, Dublin Scioto faced Rutherford B. Hayes High School (Delaware, Ohio). Dublin Scioto defeated Hayes and proceeded to defeat Bishop Watterson High School. Following that victory, the team slipped past Mount Vernon High School and defeated Bexley High School. In that, Dublin Scioto won the state championship.. They also finished in second at the 2018 PACE National Scholastic Championship.
Change of curriculum
The curriculum and student handbook at Dublin Scioto High School as well as at the other two high schools in the Dublin City School District were revised in order to conform with the International Baccalaureate degree program. These changes, which took effect in the 2008-09 school year, include a shift from a seven period day to an eight period day; and a change from year long 1.0 credit courses to semester 0.5 credit courses.
Irish Marching Band
The 100 member Irish Marching Band, Established in 1995 and Directed by Mr. Jim Gray, Mr. Ron Lewis and Mr. Jeff Chesser, performs at all home and away games, competitions, and frequently travels to perform at Walt Disney World. They will be performing in the 2018 6abc Dunkin' Donuts Thanksgiving Day Parade, their second since 2010. The Irish Marching Band is known for their unique shows and musicality. They have performed at every OMEA State Marching Band Finals since being established in 1995.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Football - 1995
- Wrestling - 2010, Randy Languis, 140-pound Division 1 OHSAA State Champion
- Lacrosse - 1997, 1999, 2003
- Eric Brunner (class of 2004), MLS defender for Houston Dynamo
- Nick Goings (class of 1996), former NFL fullback for the Carolina Panthers
- Bradley McDougald (class of 2009), NFL safety for the Seattle Seahawks
- Deji Olatoye (class of 2009), NFL cornerback for the Atlanta Falcons
- Jay Richardson (class of 2002), former NFL defensive end
- Eric Stamets (class of 2009), baseball player in the Cleveland Indians organization
- Tamara Witmer (class of 2002), Playboy Playmate of the Month, Miss August 2005, cover girl for October 2006 issue and appeared as Miss May in the Playboy Playmate Video Calendar of 2007
- Sean Kuraly Hockey player for the Boston Bruins
- Reilly Hickey Film Producer, won a Tony in 2018 for her role in the production of “Once on this Island”
- "Dublin Board of Education". Dublin City Schools. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- "Dublin Scioto High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Archived from the original on 2010-11-03. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on September 23, 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "2012 State Championship". Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "2012 In The Know". Archived from the original on 2012-05-13. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- ThisWeek Community Newspapers. "High school changes are approved". Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2010-03-31.
- Frank DiRenna. "Angels make Stamets' dream a reality". ThisWeek Community News. Retrieved July 28, 2015.