List of earthquakes in Iran
Iran is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, being crossed by several major faults that cover at least 90% of the country. As a result, earthquakes in Iran occur often and are destructive.
Geology and history
The Iranian plateau is subject to most types of tectonic activity, including active folding, faulting and volcanic eruptions. It is well known for its long history of disastrous earthquake activity. Not only have these earthquakes killed thousands, but they have also led to waste of valuable natural resources. Since 1900, at least 126,000 fatalities have resulted from earthquakes in Iran.
|2017-05-13||North Khorasan||5.6 Mw||VII||3||370|
|2017-04-05||Khorasan-e Razavi||6.1 Mw||VII||2||34|
|2013-04-13||Sistan and Baluchestan||7.7 Mw||VII||35||117|
|2012-08-11||East Azerbaijan||6.4 Mw||VIII||306||3,037||Doublet|
|2012-08-11||East Azerbaijan||6.3 Mw||Doublet|
|2010-08-27||Semnan||5.8 Mw||VII||4||40||800 displaced|
|2004-05-28||Māzandarān||6.3 Mw||VIII||35||278–400||$15.4 million|
|2003-12-22||Kerman||6.6 Mw||IX||26,271–43,200||22,628–30,000||45,000–75,600 displaced|
|1998-03-14||Kerman||6.6 Mw||VIII||5||50||Berberian 2014, p. 617|
|1997-05-10||South Khorasan||7.3 Mw||X||1,567||2,300|
|1978-09-16||South Khorasan||7.4 Mw||IX||15,000–25,000|
|1968-08-31||South Khorasan||7.4 Mw||X||15,000|
|1968-09-01||South Khorasan||6.4 Mw||900|
|1930-05-06||West Azerbaijan||7.1 Mw||IX||1,360–3,000|
|1929-05-01||Khorasan-e Razavi||7.2 Mw||IX||3,257–3,800||1,121|
|1895-01-17||Khorasan-e Razavi||6.8 Ms||VIII||1,000–11,000|
|1893-11-17||Khorasan-e Razavi||6.6 Ms||X||18,000|
|1721-04-26||East Azerbaijan||7.7 Ms||VIII–X||8,000–250,000|
|1679-06-04||Yerevan, Armenia||6.4 Ms||IX–X||7,600||Under Iranian rule at the time|
|1667-11-25||Shamakhi, Azerbaijan||6.9 Ms||X||80,000||Under Iranian rule at the time|
|Note: Mw = moment magnitude scale, Ms = surface wave magnitude, and Muk = unknown. The inclusion criteria for adding events are based on WikiProject Earthquakes' notability guideline that was developed for stand alone articles. The principles described also apply to lists. In summary, only damaging, injurious, or deadly events should be recorded.|
- "Preliminary Earthquake Reconnaissance Report on the June 22, 2002 Changureh (Avaj), Iran Earthquake". International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology. 2002-07-19. Archived from the original on March 25, 2010. Retrieved December 30, 2008.
- Manuel Berberian. "100 years; 126,000 deaths". The Iranian.
- "Earthquakes with 1,000 or More Deaths since 1900". United States Geological Survey. January 29, 2009. Archived from the original on October 11, 2008. Retrieved March 18, 2009.
- "Historic Worldwide Earthquakes". United States Geological Survey. January 29, 2009. Archived from the original on February 21, 2009. Retrieved March 15, 2009.
- Latest earthquakes in Iran and adjacent areas – Iranian Seismological Center