Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Oregon
|Ecclesiastical province||VIII (Pacific)|
|Bishop||Patrick W. Bell|
Location of the Diocese of Eastern Oregon
The Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Oregon is the diocese of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America which has jurisdiction over Oregon east of the Cascade Mountains. It also it includes Klickitat County, Washington. It is in Province 8. The diocesan office is in Cove, Oregon.
The Diocese of Eastern Oregon was created as a missionary district in the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon in 1907 and became a separate diocese in 1970.
Following the resignation in 2007 of the 6th Bishop of Eastern Oregon, William O. Gregg, to become assistant bishop in the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina, the diocesan leadership concluded that it was not financially possible to appoint another diocesan bishop for the time being. Instead, it was proposed that a Provisional Bishop be appointed on a part-time basis for a period of three years in the first instance.
In March 2009, the Standing Committee of the Diocese appointed Nedi Rivera, Bishop Suffragan of the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia since 2004, as Assisting Bishop. Rivera was subsequently elected and installed as Provisional Bishop at the Diocesan Convention on May 23, 2009, for a three-year term to Spring 2012, serving on a fractional time (one third) basis. She also assists in the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Ohio following her relocation to Cincinnati after retiring from her position in the Diocese of Olympia in January 2010. In Spring 2012, Rivera's term as Provisional Bishop was extended by one year, ending in March 2015.
On December 12, 2015 Patrick W. Bell was elected as the seventh Bishop of the diocese. Bell, who was serving as pastor of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, will be consecrated as Bishop in April 2016. Bell has announced his intention to continue to reside in Coeur d’Alene and commute to Oregon for his work as Bishop.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Eastern Oregon|
|1907||1922||Robert L. Paddock||Robert Lewis Paddock (December 24, 1869, Brooklyn, NY – May 17, 1939, Brooklyn, NY); consecrated Missionary Bishop of Eastern Oregon December 18, 1907; retired September 1922.|
|1923||1945||William P. Remington||Consecrated c. 1913; suffragan in South Dakota 1913–1922; elected 1922; installed November 19, 1923; suffragan in Pennsylvania 1945–1951.|
|1946||1968||Lane W. Barton||Lane Wickham Barton (3 June 1899, Norwalk, OH – January 5, 1997, Vancouver, WA); elected September 11 and consecrated November 26, 1946; retired 1968.|
|1969||1979||William B. Spofford, Jr.||William Benjamin Spofford, Junior (January 28, 1921—November 5, 2013); elected 1968; consecrated January 25, 1969; retired 1979.|
|1980||2000||Rustin R. Kimsey||Rustin Ray Kimsey (born January 20, 1935, Bend, OR - died April 11, 2015); elected March 22 and consecrated August 4, 1980; retired June 2000.|
|2000||2007||William O. Gregg||William "Bill" Otis Gregg (born in Portsmouth, VA); elected May 13 and consecrated September 23, 2000; resigned April 30, 2007.|
|2009||2016||Nedi Rivera, Provisional Bishop||Also suffragan in Olympia, 2005–2010; consecrated January 22, 2005; elected May and installed May 23, 2009; term ends March 2015.|
|2016||present||Patrick W. Bell||Elected on December 12, 2015 and consecrated in April, 2016.|
- Moore, Willis H.A., "Beauty and Hope at a Unique Liturgical Pot-Pourri" in Anglican and Episcopal History, Sep 2009.
- Episcopal Life Online item, March 3, 2009
- The Constitution and Canons of the General Convention of the Episcopal Church (as amended, most recently in 2009) provide that a Diocese without a Bishop may be placed "under the provisional charge and authority of a Bishop ... [who shall] ... be authorised to exercise all the duties and offices of the Bishop of the Diocese until a Bishop is elected ..." See the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church Title III, Ministry; Canon 13, Of Dioceses without Bishops.
- "Episcopal visitations - Diocese of Southern Ohio".
- Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Oregon – The Bishop
- Hunt, Tim (December 26, 2015), St. Luke's Father Bell named bishop, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho: The Coeur d'Alene Press, retrieved January 15, 2016
- Nesbitt, Katy (December 15, 2015), "Fr. Patrick Bell elected Bishop", Latest News, Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Oregon, retrieved January 15, 2016