|Locale||Perth, Western Australia|
|Owner||Public Transport Authority|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The Forrestfield–Airport Link is a railway line currently under construction on the Transperth network in Perth, Western Australia. The line is intended to service Perth Airport and the Perth foothills with a terminus in Forrestfield.
In 2004, Perth Airport's twenty-year Master Plan proposed a rail link to connect with the Midland line between Bayswater and Ashfield stations at the Tonkin Highway. The rail link was proposed to continue above ground along Tonkin Highway to the Great Eastern Highway where it is believed it would go underground along Brearley Avenue and to the terminals in operation at completion of the line.
In December 2013, the Government of Western Australia announced its intention to construct a railway line to Forrestfield via Perth Airport. In August 2014, the scheme was endorsed by the Cabinet.
In March 2015, it was announced five parties had lodged Expressions of Interest to build the line:
- Connecting Forrestfield: (Lend Lease & Ghella)
- CRCC-BGC-VDM Joint Venture: (China Railway Construction Corporation, BGC & VDM)
- Forrestfield Connect: (Acciona, BAM Nuttall & Ferrovial Agroman)
- JHL Joint Venture: (Leighton Contractors & John Holland)
- SI-NRW Joint Venture: (Salini Impregilo & NRW)
A shortlist of Forrestfield Connect, JHL Joint Venture and SI-NRW Joint Venture was announced in April 2015. In January 2016, the SI-NRW Joint Venture was named as the preferred tenderer. Construction commenced on 3 November 2016, and the line is scheduled to open in 2020.
The 8.5-kilometre-long (5.3 mi) line will diverge from Transperth’s existing Midland line near Bayswater station and run in twin-bore tunnels, initially paralleling the Tonkin Highway, then run under the Swan River to reach Perth Airport. It continues in tunnels under the airport, before emerging to terminate at a new bus-rail interchange at Forrestfield.
- "Public Transport Link Option, 2024 Masterplan, Perth Airport". Westrailia Airports Corporation. p. 1. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-03-07. Retrieved 12 May 2007.
- Treasurer Troy Buswell says airport link could be built entirely underground ABC News 19 December 2013
- 8km Forrestfield-Airport Link tunnel revealed Government of Western Australia 9 August 2014
- "Perth airport rail link approved". Railway Gazette International. 2014-08-13. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Forrestfield-Airport Link" (PDF). Public Transport Authority (WA). August 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-03-16. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- EOIs received for Forrestfield-Airport Link Government of Western Australia 18 March 2015
- Forrestfield-Airport Link EOI open Minister for Transport 29 January 2015
- Kakulas, Vetti (30 April 2015). "Perth Airport rail link: Firms short-listed for design, construction". Perth Now. Retrieved 26 May 2015.
- Preferred respondent for new rail line announced Public Transport Authority 18 February 2016
- Forrestfield airport rail link to be built by Italian firm ABC News 18 February 2016
- Construction starts on Forrestfield-Airport link Government of Western Australia 18 November 2016
- "Forrestfield Airport Link". www.forrestfieldairportlink.wa.gov.au. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Corlett, Aaron (4 December 2017). "Redcliffe Station chosen as name of new station on Forrestfield-Airport line". Southern Gazette. Retrieved 8 December 2017.