Forum for the Progress and Development of South America
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
• Santiago Declaration
|22 March 2019|
The Forum for the Progress and Development of South America (FPDSA; Spanish: Foro para el Progreso y Desarrollo de América del Sur, PROSUR; Portuguese: Fórum para o Progresso e Desenvolvimento da América do Sul, PROSUL) is an initiative proposed by the president of Chile, Sebastián Piñera, together with his Colombian counterpart, Iván Duque, for the creation of an integration body to replace the left-wing Union of South American Nations.
In the words of the Colombian president, who made the announcement on 14 January 2019, PROSUR would be "a South American coordination mechanism for public policies, in defense of democracy, the independence of powers, the economy of markets, the social agenda, with sustainability and with due application". On 18 February 2019, the president of Chile, Sebastián Piñera said "this new forum will be open to all South American countries that meet two requirements: full validity of the rule of law and full respect for freedoms and humans rights".
|2019||1st||22 March||Santiago de Chile, Chile||Sebastian Piñera|
The first PROSUR Summit, called the "Meeting of Presidents of South America", took place on 22 March 2019 in Santiago, Chile. Eight South American countries taking part (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay and Peru) signed the Declaration of Santiago for the renewal and strengthening of South America, which begins the process of creating of PROSUR. The representatives of Bolivia, Suriname and Uruguay abstained from signing the declaration.
- Patricia Luna (22 March 2019). "South American leaders launch new bloc to replace Unasur". The Star. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "South American presidents announce creation of new regional bloc". Reuters. Reuters. 22 March 2019. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Why Prosur is not the way to unite South America". The Economist. 21 March 2019. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Bolsonaro says Brazil owes world nothing on environment". Business Standard India. AFP. 24 March 2019. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Líderes sul-americanos assinam documento para criação do Prosul". G1 (in Portuguese). 22 March 2019. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
|This article about an international organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South America-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|