Gabbar Is Back
|Gabbar Is Back|
Theatrical release poster
|Written by||Rajat Arora|
|Story by||A. R. Murugadoss|
by A. R. Murugadoss
|Edited by||Rajesh G. Pandey|
|Distributed by||Viacom 18 Motion Pictures|
|Budget||₹ 70-75 crore approximately|
|Box office||est. ₹105.48 crore|
Gabbar Is Back, also known as Gabbar is a 2015 Indian Hindi-language vigilante action film directed by Krish and produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Viacom 18 Motion Pictures. Featuring Akshay Kumar and Shruti Haasan in the lead roles, the film is a remake of the 2002 Tamil film Ramanaa, directed by A. R. Murugadoss, which was later remade in Telugu as Tagore in 2003 and in Kannada as Vishnu Sena in 2005. Suman Talwar, Sunil Grover and Jaideep Ahlawat appear in supporting roles with Kareena Kapoor in a cameo. The film was a box office success and Akshay Kumar's performance was critically acclaimed.
The police get information that 10 tehsildars across Maharashtra have been mysteriously kidnapped. However, no sooner are they mysteriously returned – except the most corrupt officer, who is hanged. The police get a CD from mystery man 'Gabbar', who says his mission is to target corrupt officers. Police driver Sadhuram (Sunil Grover) is convinced he can crack the mystery of who is Gabbar, even though his superior officers humiliate and insult him in front of the other officers.
National College professor Aditya Singh Rajput (Akshay Kumar) thrashes some goons who try to vandalize college property while he demonstrates his Physics lecture to the students. On his way home one night, he encounters a young lawyer, Shruti (Shruti Haasan), who is in a hurry to take a pregnant woman to the hospital, but the woman's water breaks, and Shruti, claiming to be aware of the delivery process, sends Aditya out. With the delivery being successful, they drive to the hospital, but before Shruti can thank Aditya, she finds him gone. Some days later, she bumps into Aditya again during a fight, and they begin dating. Sadhuram in the meantime finds out there's one honest officer in each department across the state, and is convinced that each of these honest officers has a link to Gabbar.
One fateful day, Aditya and Shruti are checking out of a roadside cafe when Shruti is hurt in a minor accident, and Aditya takes her to the Patil Hospital where a female doctor insists on taking a number of expensive tests despite minimal injury. Aditya happens to overhear a doctor try to suggest the rather expensive Caesarean section delivery and is soon convinced of the hospital staff's dirty tricks when he notices a father-daughter duo being informed of the mother's death only after an expensive bill was paid. He deliberately checks in a poor woman's dead husband as a patient; unaware of his trap, the hospital tries to swindle money out of Aditya by pretending to treat the already dead man, making him pay heavily for tests and medicines. However, Aditya shows them the death certificate as a proof of their knowingly admitting a dead man. The young owner of the hospital, Vikas Patil (Manoj Chandila), is furious when Aditya releases the video of the hospital's corruption to the media despite having struck a deal with him. Vikas is murdered by the enraged public, and his father Digvijay Patil (Suman Talwar) sees Aditya in the hospital CCTV footage, only to realize this is the same man he had supposedly killed five years ago.
A flashback soon reveals that Aditya's pregnant wife Sunaina (Kareena Kapoor Khan) died when the buildings in their colony collapsed and killed hundreds of other people too. Aditya collected proof of the faulty buildings against builder Digvijay, who bribed everyone and tried to bribe Aditya too by offering Rs. 1 crore to spare the matter, but Aditya spurned the offer by fighting everyone in the room and nearly killing Digvijay. Aditya spared him when the latter asked for forgiveness, but Digvijay brutally retaliated by hitting him with an axe and left him for dead. However, a bus full of medical students found the unconscious Aditya on a highway and saved his life. He then decided to use the power of idealistic, young, honest youths and trained students at National College to join his cause. Meanwhile, Sadhuram finds that all the honest officers attended National College for graduation. Shruti discovers that Aditya is the real Gabbar and is shocked but when he tells her the truth, she supports his cause.
CBI officer Kuldeep Pahwa (Jaideep Ahlawat) takes charge of the case and is mystified by the facts. He listens to Sadhuram's findings, and they arrest the National College students listed by Sadhuram, but upon being beaten, the students do not divulge anything about Gabbar, which enrages him further. Shruti tells Kuldeep that because the law doesn't work, a vigilante like Gabbar has become a hero for ordinary citizens. Sadhuram changes his view of Gabbar. Digvijay kills an honest officer to terrorize others into passing his faulty building plans. Gabbar targets Digvijay for his act. Digvijay throws a birthday party for himself, and as he cuts the cake, he spots Aditya. Aditya and his gang kidnap him. As police search the city for Digvijay in vain, Aditya kills Digvijay in a fight that ensues between the two, following which he surrenders himself to the police and is eventually given a death penalty, sparking huge public protests and enraged students block his jail van. Kuldeep requests him to speak to the students and he does, telling them to channel their anger against corruption and be the change society needs. Finally, while being prepared to be hanged, Aditya remarks that he will die but the movement will live on.
- Akshay Kumar as Professor Aditya Singh Rajput a.k.a. Gabbar
- Shruti Haasan as Shruti
- Kareena Kapoor as Sunaina Singh, Aditya's late wife (cameo appearance)
- Suman Talwar as Digvijay Patil
- Mayur Vyas as the voice of Digvijay Patil
- Sunil Grover as Constable Sadhuram
- Jaideep Ahlawat as C.B.I Officer Kuldeep Pahwa
- Sonu Sood as Balbir Singh
- Ishita Vyas as Veena
- Raj Singh Arora as Govind Gawde
- Shruti Bapna as Lakshmi
- Ravi Prakash as Ravi
- Manoj Chandila as Vikas Patil, Digvijay's son
- Vikas Shrivastav as Inspector Vikas
- Saanvi Talwar as Reporter
- Fareed Ahmed as Parvesh
- Anuradha Chandan as Govind's mother
- Jehangir R Karkaria as Comic Doctor of Patil Hospital
- Narendra Jetly as Senior Doctor
- Afreen as Isha Dutta
- Sai Ballal as Chandrakant Gawde
- Jagdish Rajpurohit as Sub Inspector Yadav
- Shivraj Walwekar as Police Commissioner Pant
- Rajeev Kacho as Vishwas Sawant
- Anandeshwar Dwivedi as Newsreader
- Uttam Haldar as Ward boy
- Krishna Raaz as Shanti Nagpal
- Prateek Srivastava as Hari
- Boloram Das as peon
- Chandraprakash Thakur as Thakur
- Pradeep Shukla as Home Minister
- Kumud Shaw as Dr Kumud
- Jitendra Trehan as Dr Manoj Verma
- Deepak Dhadwal as Principal, National College
- Ruby Parihar as Varsha
- Chitrangada Singh in a special appearance in an item song "Aao Raja"
|Gabbar Is Back|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||20 April 2015|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The songs of Gabbar Is Back were composed by Chirantan Bhatt, Yo Yo Honey Singh and Manj Musik, while the lyrics were written by Manoj Yadav, Kumaar, Sahil Kaushal, Manj Musik, Raftaar and Big Dhillon.
|1.||"Teri Meri Kahaani"||Manoj Yadav||Chirantan Bhatt||Arijit Singh, Palak Muchhal||5:31|
|2.||"Coffee Peetey Peetey"||Kumaar||Chirantan Bhatt||Dev Negi, Paroma Das Gupta||3:38|
|3.||"Aao Raja"||Sahil Kaushal||Yo Yo Honey Singh||Neha Kakkar, Yo Yo Honey Singh, Teflon||4:01|
|4.||"Warna Gabbar Aa Jayega"||Manj Musik, Raftaar, Big Dhillon||Manj Musik||Manj Musik, Raftaar||2:52|
Bollywood Hungama rated the film 3 stars out of 5, writing that "On the whole, Gabbar Is Back is an average entertainer which will draw huge footfalls over the weekend due to catchy massy title, action drama and the fact that it is releasing on a holiday." Similarly, Koimoi rated it 3 stars out of 5, along with writing "If you enjoy films which have the good vs evil story with full on action and 'Dhamakedaar' dialogues, this is your film." Hindustan Times rated it 3 stars out of 5, stating that "Gabbar Is Back is a full on ‘masala’ film with a lot of applause worthy scenes. The buck stops at Akshay Kumar." The Times of India rated the film 3.5 stars out of 5, writing that "Now, Gabbar Is Back – and you'll feel his return rocks." Zee News also rated it 3.5 stars out of 5, writing that "After watching this we surely need a real 'Gabbar' to blow some courage in all of us—and wipe out corruption from the root. 'Pachaas Pachaas Kos Dur Jabh Koi Rishwat Leta Hai, Toh Sabh Kehte Hain Mat Le Varna, Gabbar Aa Jaaega." Subhash K. Jha of Bollywood Hungama wrote that "Akshay Gives The Super-Hero A New Definition." Hindustan Times audio news praised the screen presence of Akshay Kumar. Deccan Chronicle described the movie as "cliched but enjoyable in bits". Business Standard posted the ratings of IANS which gave 4 stars to the movie.
Gabbar is Back grossed ₹105 crore (equivalent to ₹128 crore or US$18 million in 2019) world-wide.
- Gabbar Is Back : 8th Weekend Box Office Collections. Koimoi.com . Retrieved on 28 October 2016.
- Bollywood Hungama. "Special Features: Box Office: Worldwide Collections of Gabbar Is Back – Box Office, Bollywood Hungama". Bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Big plans for Akshay Kumar's 'Gabbar Is Back'". The Indian Express. 11 March 2015.
- "After rowdy, Bhansali turns Akshay into Gabbar". Times of India. 17 April 2013. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- Gabbar Is Back Review. Bollywoodhungama.com (1 May 2015). Retrieved on 2016-10-28.
- Redkar, Surabhi (1 May 2015) KoiMoi – Gabbar Is Back. M.koimoi.com. Retrieved on 28 October 2016.
- Vats, Rohit (3 May 2015) Gabbar Is Back review. Hindustan Times. Retrieved on 28 October 2016.
- Das, Srijana Mitra (1 May 2015) Gabbar Is Back Movie Review. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 28 October 2016.
- Handoo, Ritika. (5 January 2015) Gabbar Is Back movie review. Zeenews.india.com. Retrieved on 2016-10-28.
- Bollywood Hungama (30 April 2015). "Subhash K Jha speaks about Gabbar Is Back | Latest Movie Features". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Gabbar Is Back review: Akshay Kumar steals the thunder in this action-packed masala film". www.hindustantimes.com/. Hindustan times. Archived from the original on 3 May 2015.
- "Movie review 'Gabbar Is Back': Too cliched but enjoyable in bits". Deccanchronicle.com. 1 May 2015. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "'Gabbar Is Back' – Akshay redefines superhero". Business Standard.
- "Gabbar is Back - Lifetime Box Office Collection, Budget, Reviews, Cast, etc". BOTY. Retrieved 1 March 2019.